Any experience with "cinematic" recording?

TeleClassy

So I stream a lot, but not 7 Days, because it's heavily saturated. I want to edit and publish videos now, but I want to optimize them, too. I have tried a few different things in practice, and the closer I get to a completed method or video idea my limitations become an obstacle.

SO, I am wondering if:

a. there is a way to record gameplay other than from a player perspective, whether that be a LAN server with an invisible and invincible player spectator or my own player perspective

b. there is a way to pre-render chunks so that system resources aren't chewed as they generate or render where I move, or a more efficient way to conserve these resources while playing normally

c. a way to effectively render a small sequence or shot in-game that I can record later (such as a panning shot of a scene with no active entities, like a mountain or river)

For further clarification, I am wanting to preserve quality as much as possible. I can run the game on very high/max settings with pretty steady 120fps depending on the scene, while recording - however, from a filmmaking perspective, missing shots and scenes can be painfully tedious to recoup. It happens a lot; sometimes hordes will spawn and tank my FPS to below 30, or a new chunk renders and executes my available RAM. A way to have these things done in advance would be a tremendous help, such as starting a game with X amount of chunks pre-rendered in excess so that when I discover them they aren't trying to assassinate my system resources, or being able to manually commit a specific integer to caching, maybe... this is where I start to trail off and speak out of my ass, because I have no clue where to go from here. ANY suggestions or ideas on where I'm going with this will help, because as-is, my main deterrent for trying to make more videos is what I can best attribute to limitations of the game itself, if not my own lack of the game's and it's engine's knowledge.

What he was saying was that god mode allows you to move the camera position in a more dynamic way(noclip and flying) than survival mode and without fear of changing the environment in any way. I can't vouch for any recording stuff more advanced than that, like the tf2 replay system.

Ok... What you want is rendermap.

...this isn't easy if you're not familiar with servers.

https://7dtd.illy.bz/wiki/Console%20Commands

i just read through it a bit, nothing too extensive on my part yet, and it looks just like other commands. i think it's pretty manageable, but what i don't understand is why i would want to render areas i've visited only? and it says it renders the map for those areas, does that mean the chunks are generated? i guess i don't really understand the scope of this command as it initially doesn't seem to be something that would really help, you know? i am fairly confident i've made an oversight here, though

i've also begun to wonder if there's a way to freeze the game, as i haven't seen anything in the console commands yet

When in godmode if you want to do a selfie, or put your character in

scene for perspective. hit P then F5 it freezes camera position

and allows your to move character away from camera, into the shot.

After pic is done reverse prcedure hit F5 then p and you are back

in first person mobility.

Many, many programs available. One im familiar with and has low

learning curve Screen to gif. Hi res, edit out and or add frames

as you desire, If file is too large for distribution, just shrink

the size. resolution from say 1920 X 1080 to 1024 X 768 or any manual

size you chose.

Suggestion for motion, record at 30fps at most, unless you are

shooting video of a lot of detailed action. 30fps what tv,movies, use

as mpg video standard.

In game in god mode for a good visual capture, hit escape, see menu on

the right. change the speed from 3, to 250 for good time lapse day/night

shot.

Final to tie it all together, either a storyboard program or good notes.

as the director use the different types of shots to tell your story, fade,

blend, pan, snap, etc. Photoshop, or photo/image editor that has clone stamp

and opacity.

When in godmode if you want to do a selfie, or put your character in

scene for perspective. hit P then F5 it freezes camera position

and allows your to move character away from camera, into the shot.

After pic is done reverse prcedure hit F5 then p and you are back

in first person mobility.

Many, many programs available. One im familiar with and has low

learning curve Screen to gif. Hi res, edit out and or add frames

as you desire, If file is too large for distribution, just shrink

the size. resolution from say 1920 X 1080 to 1024 X 768 or any manual

size you chose.

Suggestion for motion, record at 30fps at most, unless you are

shooting video of a lot of detailed action. 30fps what tv,movies, use

as mpg video standard.

In game in god mode for a good visual capture, hit escape, see menu on

the right. change the speed from 3, to 250 for good time lapse day/night

shot.

Final to tie it all together, either a storyboard program or good notes.

as the director use the different types of shots to tell your story, fade,

blend, pan, snap, etc. Photoshop, or photo/image editor that has clone stamp

and opacity.

will be recording 90-120fps with OBS for slowmo purposes as desired, planned on using a weaker device for anything timelapse - probably sub 20 fps - but if it's fastforwarded 2x or more then it shouldn't be too noticeable, i think. i have yet to test that.

What do you mean quickly load saves?

i think of quickloads and saves in skyrim where they are bound to a hotkey. if i wanted to redo a shot i don't want to have to keep 100 game saves from different stages to revisit just in case i want to reshoot, because that would mean constantly stopping the game/server. if i were to do it in single player, this method would be more realistic albeit remaining tedious as hell, but then i miss the chance to run time lapse shots, unless i simply load my game into multiplayer as needed. however, it seems as though this likely won't be possible without stopping the game as-is.

maybe if there's a console command i can use to manually save the world under a different filename, then i could do it a bit more seamlessly

well, i installed and ran a server, and after figuring out the fiasco of making myself admin, rendermap is still not recognized as a command (in game console). ideas? did i miss something?

yeah i have brain damage or something, never saw i had to install this package thing

also, any way to make myself invisible to myself? hiding overlay doesn't hide my hands when an empty slot is active on my hotbar and invisibility doesn't hide it from myself

• 2 weeks later...

also, any way to make myself invisible to myself? hiding overlay doesn't hide my hands when an empty slot is active on my hotbar and invisibility doesn't hide it from myself

I haven't tried this myself yet as I usually use the "F5" method of recording while moving, but this thread from a couple of years ago suggest an xml edit to change the hold type to a club hold type which hides the hands.

Hide hands

So I stream a lot, but not 7 Days, because it's heavily saturated. I want to edit and publish videos now, but I want to optimize them, too. I have tried a few different things in practice, and the closer I get to a completed method or video idea my limitations become an obstacle.

SO, I am wondering if:

a. there is a way to record gameplay other than from a player perspective, whether that be a LAN server with an invisible and invincible player spectator or my own player perspective

b. there is a way to pre-render chunks so that system resources aren't chewed as they generate or render where I move, or a more efficient way to conserve these resources while playing normally

c. a way to effectively render a small sequence or shot in-game that I can record later (such as a panning shot of a scene with no active entities, like a mountain or river)

For further clarification, I am wanting to preserve quality as much as possible. I can run the game on very high/max settings with pretty steady 120fps depending on the scene, while recording - however, from a filmmaking perspective, missing shots and scenes can be painfully tedious to recoup. It happens a lot; sometimes hordes will spawn and tank my FPS to below 30, or a new chunk renders and executes my available RAM. A way to have these things done in advance would be a tremendous help, such as starting a game with X amount of chunks pre-rendered in excess so that when I discover them they aren't trying to assassinate my system resources, or being able to manually commit a specific integer to caching, maybe... this is where I start to trail off and speak out of my ass, because I have no clue where to go from here. ANY suggestions or ideas on where I'm going with this will help, because as-is, my main deterrent for trying to make more videos is what I can best attribute to limitations of the game itself, if not my own lack of the game's and it's engine's knowledge.

As others have said you can go in god mod (f1 then dm then close console and press"q"),hide ui (f7) f5 switches to 3rd person and "p" locks the camera from moving.

As for framerate that can be a bit harder to deal with depending on the scene. For example performance with tank if you have a lot of electrical things going on turrets,lights etc not only does it leave you with lower fps but it introduces a lot of stutter as well. I think this is a case of game optimization rather than simply needing more hardware (i7 6700k @4.7ghz, 16gb ddr4, gtx 1080ti here)

for slow mo shots i'd recommend 1080p or lower to see if you can get 120fps performance, if not aim for 60 and half it for slow mo.

Not sure if you can hide the hand though, i simply added "cinematic" black bars to hide them and it turn out ok.

I did a base tour video with a cinematic intro showing it off if you want to see how it turned out for me, but it's not ideal framerate was a big issue in the context of what i was trying to capture (lots of traps,zombies etc). i'll leave a link below if you want to get an idea of what i was able to do with god mode etc.

Archived