Jumping on the bandwagon of asking about an update :)

Mantra_Maker

I came into this game very naive and oblivious to the PC master race world of what was going on with this game in comparison to the console edition. Now that I've got some experience and time under my belt I've diligently stayed plugged into these forums and have noticed a stark difference in how updates are handled between console and pc. Even in the forums there is a reflection of the state of progress being made between the two. I love the game and i'm not down for posting libelous accusatory stuff because i can clearly see that Clare, the community manager stays plugged into questions being asked !BUT! with that being said i detect in the verbiage of posts concerning any updates coming a rather vague explanation of what to expect and when to expect it. Not only that i only seeing questions about it being being moved because idiots will post them in the wrong forum but along with that the questions are simply not answered. There's kind of a political feel behind the answering of questions, just vague enough to tell you that something is wrong if you read between the lines. Now i know that there are many people that have been around much longer than I and have waited much longer than me but i think it's all encompassing. Every one of has paid for this game. Why would it take a year to update it? I'm not asking for details, I'm not ranting for personal gain, and especially get no enjoyment out of spending my time complaining in a video game forum to people i'll never meet it's just silly but i think i can speak for everybody and myself that i feel we deserve more interaction between us and the dev team. The Pc team can do it , why can't console? Why does Clare have to handle every bit of this forum on her own, that's a bit much. I've said all of this to just say....

I'd really like to paint the exact replica of my highschool bathroom a less dingy and accurate color, hits too close to home so when is paint sytem coming? lol:cocksure:

I don't think he will close it. I don't see anything that breaks the rules.

I can only speak from the way I see it and it might not be the right way so just keep in mind it is just a opinion.

Right or wrong, agree or disagree the console team jumped in a made a section in the forums that was already created for PC. Did they just do it of course not they wouldn't have the ability to create thread sections and such without approval. But as it is the forums was started for PC and console got its own section added. So this isn't IG or TT forums to maintain so it would be my guess to why console doesn't see them around and they have Clare to keep us updated and such.

From my knowledge this update is a pretty big update. Over on the PC side changing over to a updated Unity engine it is taking lots of time and still working on some issues. So if they are having problems I can only imagine they are having problems working out things on console as well. Also on top of that I can only imagine because TT and IG are not the developers and TT has IG do the ports when TFP pass the files over that they don't have a team that just works on this game that they work on games they develop and between that work on this so who knows when they actually started doing the ports. But that is my guess on that can't say one way or the other how they do things.

As said the forums and game was started for PC for the EA. Because the PC is still in development they do share things they are working on and sometimes share some videos. My guess to why console team isn't doing that is because it is the same stuff they have already released and is known. They are just porting it over or at least the things they are able to port over but either way it is things that is already known and not new it is just new to console. Also don't know any console games that share videos and such on things that are being worked on that isn't finished unless you talk about a demo of a game being worked on. Once that game is out you read things on some games from time to time they are working on.

Anyway I totally get it and I wish console had more and better communication but with that said it has been this way from day one so doubt anything will change. I personally don't take it as being a stab at the console side or that they don't care because if they didn't care we wouldn't be getting anymore updates or even if we did they wouldn't have Clare pass on Information for them they would just update when they update.

Remember this is just my view on some of many things so none of it might not mean nothing but maybe looking at it in a different way might possibly help?

I also can't wait for paint to come to console and hope it does. I have a little to much fun with it when I play PC lol :)

Thanks for your input! I appreciate any time i get to express my thoughts on this game and it not be to my girlfriend who is quite frankly done hearing about it lol.

anywho, i'm glad you recognized that it's not my intention to bash anybody because for one i am definitely NOT a developer and have zero understanding of how a video game is built or updated. I have no idea how their political climate or hierarchy system works and don't care to figure it out. Aside from enjoying the game myself I've just found myself falling into the group-think mindset that we deserve a little more , the often i check in on this website and watch youtube videos. It's easy to get agitated when everybody else is too and can only express it openly without it being diverted and digressed on websites that the devs don't run. I get it. They have been listening to us whine and moan for quite some time now. I don't even expect to get the electricity in the next update. Frankly i expect nothing and hope for the best but it's sad to watch the few who have clung to the console edition for dear life give up and walk away from it when all they wanted was a little more of an inside scoop on updates.

You don't have to read between the lines to know what is wrong, but you might have to read more than you have.

1. Hardware limitations

2. updating game to Unity 2017 and resulting bugs

3. Separate dev team from the PC and game is sold as a "finished" game on console. While there is no "commitment" to improve the game implied, the IG/TTG games teams are still working to develop the console release of the game.

im with ya brother

get ready for Sly's response and thread closure.... lol

I don't see why I would. I want to edit the hell out of it and his second post to add some paragraph structure and make it more readable though.

To answer the question "Why would it take a year to update it?". It's because they're completely re-writing it for a new version of Unity. A LOT has changed between the previous version and the one they're updating to. Even The Fun Pimps have run into the same issue with the a17 update for the PC, and they took it two steps further.

Add to that bug testing the changes, and bug testing any additional content that's being added. AND finding out how much new stable content they can pull over from the PC version without frying the hardware on your consoles.

As for the vagueness, it is what it is. I can take guesses at what they can add based on my knowledge of the changes that are going to be happening for sure, what I know from working with the code on the PC, hardware limitations, game mechanics, ect. In the end, I don't have much more in the way of facts than what is available to any of you guys.

And don't get me wrong, I'm frustrated too. I would LOVE for TellTale/Iron Galaxy to open up and tell us more of what is going on. Sadly, that is not the way of most Console publishers/developers. It's doubly based on old practices regarding trade secrets, and on the general reactions of today's children when something as simple as a puddle is removed to enhance shader performance in a scene. (Basically, if you didn't know the puddle was there in the first place, you wouldn't know it was missing, so you wouldn't be throwing a tantrum.)

As for having paid for the game, and feeling put off because the update is taking forever.....

1. You're SOL. You're entitled. I'm sorry if you don't like that, but it's the truth. (really I'm not sorry. The entitled generation is going to bring the end of society as a whole, and I know someone will flame me for this but it's the harsh reality if you guys don't grow up and get a clue.)
  2. They didn't owe you anything. They didn't have to add content from a15. They didn't have to completely re-write the client for the new game engine so that you would get better optimization, better performance, fewer bugs, and more content.
  3. They could have just trundled along fixing the bugs in the original client and left it at that. It was sold as a finished version of the PC a14.7 build. Anything you get more than that is a bonus, and you should be grateful.

Now, as long as the discussion remains civil, I don't see any reason to close it currently.

I don't see why I would. I want to edit the hell out of it and his second post to add some paragraph structure and make it more readable though.

Lol I can only imagine what you feel on mine. Probably just want to delete it all lmao. I know mine isn't much better :) English for sure was not my subject in school. Really only liked math in school lol.

To answer the question "Why would it take a year to update it?". It's because they're completely re-writing it for a new version of Unity. A LOT has changed between the previous version and the one they're updating to. Even The Fun Pimps have run into the same issue with the a17 update for the PC, and they took it two steps further.

Add to that bug testing the changes, and bug testing any additional content that's being added. AND finding out how much new stable content they can pull over from the PC version without frying the hardware on your consoles.

As for the vagueness, it is what it is. I can take guesses at what they can add based on my knowledge of the changes that are going to be happening for sure, what I know from working with the code on the PC, hardware limitations, game mechanics, ect. In the end, I don't have much more in the way of facts than what is available to any of you guys.

And don't get me wrong, I'm frustrated too. I would LOVE for TellTale/Iron Galaxy to open up and tell us more of what is going on. Sadly, that is not the way of most Console publishers/developers. It's doubly based on old practices regarding trade secrets, and on the general reactions of today's children when something as simple as a puddle is removed to enhance shader performance in a scene. (Basically, if you didn't know the puddle was there in the first place, you wouldn't know it was missing, so you wouldn't be throwing a tantrum.)

As for having paid for the game, and feeling put off because the update is taking forever.....

1. You're SOL. You're entitled. I'm sorry if you don't like that, but it's the truth. (really I'm not sorry. The entitled generation is going to bring the end of society as a whole, and I know someone will flame me for this but it's the harsh reality if you guys don't grow up and get a clue.)
  2. They didn't owe you anything. They didn't have to add content from a15. They didn't have to completely re-write the client for the new game engine so that you would get better optimization, better performance, fewer bugs, and more content.
  3. They could have just trundled along fixing the bugs in the original client and left it at that. It was sold as a finished version of the PC a14.7 build. Anything you get more than that is a bonus, and you should be grateful.

Now, as long as the discussion remains civil, I don't see any reason to close it currently.

You know, i don't blame you. I was on the mobile website and using talk-to-text while driving to write out that post. Very distracted and very disorganized but i get your point. Back to the point i don't think that it is appropriate for a moderator of any forum to go around and telling people they are entitled and to suck it up.That is completely unprofessional and derivative. I understand you may be frustrated with dealing with hundreds of posts just like this one but you have done yourself a disservice but not taking note of the lighthearted nature of the post . I appreciate what information you have given and where you were agreeable. Just know that I am a completely new customer for this company and it is a turn-off to a customer or a site user if they post a short narrative stating that they wish there was a little more interaction and someone they have chosen as a moderator clearly has had a rough go of it in their service as a moderator jumps down their throat. I get it though, moderation of a website, forums, pages, etc. can be an enormous task and very repetitive (i've done it more times than i should have agreed to) but try to go easy on newcomers bud. Anyways I digress, i see your point in that they don't really owe it to anyone to do anything else and I see my place now. Thanks

@mantra maker... it is entitlement, Sy isn’t wrong at all. It’s not his job to ensure your feelings don’t get hurt.

You’ve asked a question that’s only been asked a million times before...

You somehow feel you deserve free updates or insight to updates. Where did you see that contract when you purchased the game?

It’s all free... be happy with what you have. If you wish to be updated continuously, feel free to switch to the “master race” until then we’re all going to be waiting for the console update.

Nope. No feelings hurt. Again, and for the last time, The question was concerning INTERACTION. NOT an update itself. BDE you got there jumping in and railroading somebody lol. Chalk it up to another toxic community on the internet :tickled_pink:.i would happily drop full game price(59.99) just so we could get caught up with PC. If that becomes an option I'll be one of the first to get on board. But yeah.. we will all wait. No further questions since I've caught the general vibe of bitterness surrounding console updates around here.

There’s no bitterness lol. I’ve put more hours into the game on Xbox than any other game I’ve ever played. Still enjoy it. I play co op with the wife, a multi with a friend, and my own multiplayer game.

The thing is, I enjoy the game for what it is, I’ve used a work around for the md5 90% of the time. My wife still loves the game.

We both know an update is coming, we anticipate it. When it comes we will welcome it. No reason to ask the community for more information.... they’ve stated dozens of times we will be updated when they see fit.

It was a $30 game, sold as is... anything is welcomed.

Nope. No feelings hurt. Again, and for the last time, The question was concerning INTERACTION. NOT an update itself. BDE you got there jumping in and railroading somebody lol. Chalk it up to another toxic community on the internet :tickled_pink:.i would happily drop full game price(59.99) just so we could get caught up with PC. If that becomes an option I'll be one of the first to get on board. But yeah.. we will all wait. No further questions since I've caught the general vibe of bitterness surrounding console updates around here.

Its all good man. Try not to take things personal. Things do get pretty repetetive on these forums & its so easy for people to seem a little..."edgy" at times.

We are all just really big fans of the game and are getting frustrated waiting on this awesome update.

Welcome to the forums Mantra! Hopefully we get some word soon on what the update contains, when it's coming out, & hopefully answers any other questions we all have.

3. Separate dev team from the PC and game is sold as a "finished" game on console. While there is no "commitment" to improve the game implied, the IG/TTG games teams are still working to develop the console release of the game.

I agree with your first two points, which is why I left them out. Point three however I do have some issue with. The idea that the game was sold as a "finished on console" implies people have no reason to expect new content. The moderators on these forums have stated multiple times that the intent of the dev teams is to bring PC and console versions as close to one another as possible. Whether the game was sold as a finished product or not doesn't matter anymore, the expectation is as much parity between the PC and Console versions as the consoles will allow. It is official word from the dev teams, not from players.

Until the dev teams, or their representatives, inform console players that the console is as close as it will ever be to the PC version people will continue to expect more content, and rightly so.

After a few day i have reflected on this and i have decided that you guys are right and i was wrong. It is a little bit of entitlement. It probably comes from playing other games that get updated much quicker but the technicalities behind world building and patching for them are much simpler. That was not something i considered. I read a sticky here on the forums where someone explained how things are built on this game and it really opened my eyes to how complex the voxel system is. For now i will wait in silence :)

I agree with your first two points, which is why I left them out. Point three however I do have some issue with. The idea that the game was sold as a "finished on console" implies people have no reason to expect new content. The moderators on these forums have stated multiple times that the intent of the dev teams is to bring PC and console versions as close to one another as possible. Whether the game was sold as a finished product or not doesn't matter anymore, the expectation is as much parity between the PC and Console versions as the consoles will allow. It is official word from the dev teams, not from players.

Until the dev teams, or their representatives, inform console players that the console is as close as it will ever be to the PC version people will continue to expect more content, and rightly so.

Personally i hope the day is a long way off when we hear "well, that's all we can do with console. Enjoy what you have!"

I dont mind waiting on new updates whether its extra features, items, or just optimizations & bug fixes. It's kind of exciting & simply keeps the game fresh.

People are going to whine, expect more, bash the game, etc., no matter what happens. I just simply ignore them or chime in with my opinion when i feel necessary.

Plus, once the game is "done", will a lot of us even come on these forums anymore? That'll kinda suck too. I enjoy talking with you guys on here, hearing different opinions & ideas.

I came into this game very naive and oblivious to the PC master race world of what was going on with this game in comparison to the console edition. Now that I've got some experience and time under my belt I've diligently stayed plugged into these forums and have noticed a stark difference in how updates are handled between console and pc. Even in the forums there is a reflection of the state of progress being made between the two. I love the game and i'm not down for posting libelous accusatory stuff because i can clearly see that Clare, the community manager stays plugged into questions being asked !BUT! with that being said i detect in the verbiage of posts concerning any updates coming a rather vague explanation of what to expect and when to expect it. Not only that i only seeing questions about it being being moved because idiots will post them in the wrong forum but along with that the questions are simply not answered. There's kind of a political feel behind the answering of questions, just vague enough to tell you that something is wrong if you read between the lines. Now i know that there are many people that have been around much longer than I and have waited much longer than me but i think it's all encompassing. Every one of has paid for this game. Why would it take a year to update it? I'm not asking for details, I'm not ranting for personal gain, and especially get no enjoyment out of spending my time complaining in a video game forum to people i'll never meet it's just silly but i think i can speak for everybody and myself that i feel we deserve more interaction between us and the dev team. The Pc team can do it , why can't console? Why does Clare have to handle every bit of this forum on her own, that's a bit much. I've said all of this to just say....

I'd really like to paint the exact replica of my highschool bathroom a less dingy and accurate color, hits too close to home so when is paint sytem coming? lol:cocksure:

soon

so͞on/

adverb

adverb: soon; comparative adverb: sooner; superlative adverb: soonest

in or after a short time.

"everyone will soon know the truth"

synonyms: shortly, presently, in the near future, before long, in a little while, in a minute, in a moment, in an instant, in a bit, in the twinkling of an eye, in no time, before you know it, any minute (now), any day (now), by and by;

the problem is not that the release estimate of "soon" has been changed, but that we the people were not notified when "soon" became impossible that the release would no longer be "soon" but at some "not soon" point in the future. Wasn't it going to be "soon" back in june? has it ever been changed from "soon"? .. fact is it was not ready to be released "soon" so it wasn't. Just nobody bothered to inform you of that. Done when it's done imply s no release date and "soon" is not part of the equation. To say "soon" means you have an imminent date. I just wish the pimps would read the dictionary before using words like "soon". I don't mind the delays, what bothers me is the misleading (pimpified) use of the word "soon". I love this game but i think i'll stop checking weekkly and just check back in a few months.

Archived