so A17 Maps can be huge again?

bloom_meister

Kinyajuu said they plan to have a drop down menu that will have different selectable sizes. That is not yet implemented so right now it is just 8k x 8k. Kinyajuu said it should be possible to go into the xmls and choose your own size. I haven't looked in the xmls to see if that seems easy enough for me to understand or if it will be difficult. When I checked them last week it was still the legacy 10k radius value.

Does a copy of the map get sent to the client PC when using peer to peer co op?

Does a copy of the map get sent to the client PC when using peer to peer co op?

Probably not. I would imagine that the local data when connecting to remote servers will function the same as it does now. You get the initial pre-load of the distant POI, and the rest is sent to you as you explore.

Can you imagine what it would be like to have to download a 30GB map before playing?

So I tried it out last night. Took about 10 minutes to generate an 8k x 8k map. It is really simple to do. You just go to the map generator and now it creates the world instead of just a map preview. It was a little buggy. Once the map was generated I couldn't exit and had to close the game. But then I logged back on and my new world was listed next to Navezgane as an optional world to play in. Can't remember the random county name it was given. Kinyajuu has mentioned he is still doing final touches. I started a new game in that new world and it loaded up as fast as Navezgane does. Very nice. Now that it is created I can keep creating new saves in that world and it will load up quickly each time.

for everyone that dint read all that: Be aware though that time to generate will crawl up more and more the more you go go beyond 8x8. (so 16x16 isnt 20 mins) Something to do with maths ;) - come on back mr math teachah

Archived