7 days to die now is now at mixed reviews as of recently

EpicMilk123

There was a recent post on the 7 days to die subreddit regarding reviews dipping (

) and at that point I hadn't even realized that Alpha 16 released well over a year ago now. I love this game so much but these hugely overdue updates (as is evident by the reviews) is slowly driving players away, and also making current hardcore followers a little frustrated. Is there any update on smaller updates getting released much sooner in the future or is this the method that they feel works best for them?

1. Did you realize you posted in the console section? If not, we can move it.

2. It's had mixed reviews for years. That isn't anything new. Most of them review it as if it's a completed product and completely ignore the fact that it's a game in Alpha development. (Unless you're playing on a console that is.)

3. Another interesting thing is that through that entire Reddit thread, not a single actual review is linked, referenced, or quoted.

4. You try re-designing the game from the ground up for a new engine. It's not an easy process. I made a car analogy on it here.

5. This game is still in development for less time than many AAA titles, and it's got a hugely smaller development team. I have a chart on that somewhere around here also.

One I have to laugh a anything that comes from reddit. Anyway not sure if you are talking about PC or console.

PC is getting towards the end of alpha so things are going to take a little longer to get straighten out and release. Then on top of that they just did a big update on the engine they build the game on so this has made it take some of the time where they have had to rewrite things and such without getting to much in depth on it. But with that said after this next alpha that is getting close to being released I wouldn't expect any faster release because like I said it is getting near end and about ready for beta so they are working on cleaning things up and adding some of the things that they haven't been able to and or wasn't time to add before.

As for console it was sold as a finished game so no guarantee that any more content would be added. The last update they did with content could of been the last. No way of knowing that 100% but could of been based on console limitations and such. But again the engine the game is built on had a update so they pretty much doing what PC has been doing besides adding or working on new features. With this new update on unity it is allowing them to get the game to run better and able to add some more things from PC. But it is taking time to rewrite and do what they need to do.

If you search the forums you would find the information you need. Reddit isn't going to have that information is one of many reasons why I laugh at anything that comes from reddit. At least most of what comes from it.

1. Did you realize you posted in the console section? If not, we can move it.

2. It's had mixed reviews for years. That isn't anything new. Most of them review it as if it's a completed product and completely ignore the fact that it's a game in Alpha development. (Unless you're playing on a console that is.)

3. Another interesting thing is that through that entire Reddit thread, not a single actual review is linked, referenced, or quoted.

4. You try re-designing the game from the ground up for a new engine. It's not an easy process. I made a car analogy on it here.

5. This game is still in development for less time than many AAA titles, and it's got a hugely smaller development team. I have a chart on that somewhere around here also.

Whoops, my apologies! It was intended for the PC section. As for you response:

2-3. you can look at the steam reviews for yourself, the recent reviews have been mixed whereas throughout the games lifetime it has been nothing but mostly positive, the most helpful negative reviews are in regards to the release.

4-5. I understand that and i'm aware of how long it takes, other developers have done it too (i.e Rust, which doesn't have very many developers, although I'm unsure as to how it compares to TFP and they still manage weekly updates) all i'm saying is it's not unfair for people to be a little upset or annoyed that an update takes over a year to release. If you know how big the development team is i'd love to know as i'd rather not make assumptions as it doesn't really help anyone. The updates are amazing, I can't say that enough but would you rather smaller, incremental updates with less content or a huge wait for a lot of content? The steam charts would suggest that the current system doesn't really work for people who don't routinely follow the game (https://steamcharts.com/app/251570)

Before this update it wasn't but a handful of people. They did hire some but I'm not sure as to how many and what the count is up to that is working on it now. So i don't want to put a number but it still isn't many people.

Like it was said the new engine update has made this specific update take some time. No need in a smaller sooner update as it wouldn't help in this case. But with that said like I said before they are not to far from getting out of alpha so the next update could take awhile also.

I can't really speak as to how many people work on rust or any other game for that matter. But I can say that building a 100% voxel game is probably more time consuming then what it takes to update a none voxel game. Then you put how many people on top of that working on it will make an even bigger impact.

The only thing I can say is with it being a EA game that is still being designed/made and getting near the end stage of EA and getting closer to beta then gold updates will happen as soon as they happen. Just got to be patient.

Oh and also would like to say that technically it hasn't been over a year A16.4 stable released what 9 months ago I think. I know that still awhile but again the above statement.

Oh and also would like to say that technically it hasn't been over a year A16.4 stable released what 9 months ago I think. I know that still awhile but again the above statement.

I am guessing they are using date from 16 experimental to 17 experimental as a measurement.

While I play on console I do follow the pc development because game development interests me and I will be building a pc to get this game for it. Anyway I thought I have read over and over that the players voted to have longer update times to not have to constantly start over which if I was playing on pc I would vote for as well.

As for the reviews I have played many games I’ve loved that reviewers hated. I don’t think I have any games I’ve hated just because I do a lot of research before I buy and usually ignore reviews. Who cares what they think and op if you love the game that is all that matters. Plus TFP ain’t gonna stop making the game because of bad reviews. It seems they love making it as much as I love playing it.

It doesnt matter to me about big, longer drawn out updates, or smaller faster updates.

Im just happy to get any new content FOR FREE. Few if any other games out there gives new content, this long in a games lifespan (2 years for console) for free.

I love this game and it is by far one of the best ive ever played. Im 36 yrs old so im all the way back from atari era games.

In fact, now that you say reviews are mixed to negative, im gonna go on every review site i can think of and put my "excellent" review in (already done on amazon).

• 1 month later...

Somewhat old post, but on XB1, the reviews you can read are mostly negative, mostly having to do with the reset bugs, people hating that they lose so much progress in a matter of seconds. I've been on the receiving end of a reset bug myself and I hated that. So much materials and progress lost. Really good base lost too.

Yeah that very late MD5 bug I got late last year is when I took a break. Cant remember how many days I was into the game. It was like second or third MD5 bug on same map. But the first two happened in the early goings when I had a lot of people building stuff. When I went solo it didn't happen till that last time. Not sure how many days I racked up. 200 or 250 then MD5 ripped apart one of my many extra outposts I built.

Archived