One Last Hoorah!

Hello guys,

So it's been a little while since I last commented on the forums here, but I just recently got back into 7 Days To Die after a several month break away from playing it and have come to obsessively enjoy it all over again. Which is one of the many things that makes this game awesome! You can take a nice long break, come back, and then just simply start playing again feeling refreshed. There are only a few games out there that can have that affect on me and this is certainly one of them. However, the reason I'm here, is because I just wanted to express my own personal opinion on the current console versions of 7 Days To Die and why I think the next big update we get should be the last one. Yup, that's right, the last one! ;)

First and foremost, would be to state the obvious which is something SylenThunder can't seem to stress enough and that is how the console versions are already on the brink of what they're able to handle. Apparently. I'm not a game developer so this is something I wouldn't know! But the last thing we'd want is for this game to become overly bloated and stop working altogether from trying to bite off more than it can chew. In my personal opinion, all we desperately need on consoles now is three main features from alpha 16, and those are...

• Distant POI's.

• All of the heatmap changes which should result in more wandering hordes and screamers.

• New socket system for towns and cities in random gen.

And thats it.

The rest of alpha 16 would be nice as well but personally I'm willing to accept just those three features I mentioned above.

Lastly, and this is where I feel many of you may disagree with me which is totally fine as this is more of an opinion than anything else. And that is, again for me personally, I find nothing about A17 appealing anyway. I checked out Joel's channel a few nights ago and saw he had uploaded a bunch of new videos I hadn't seen yet of him showcasing A17. So, out of curiosity I decided to watch them, and if I was to be completely honest and genuine I thought it actually looked awful. (Sorry The Fun Pimps!) It doesn't look like the 7 Days To Die that I've fallen in love with at all anymore, and instead just looks like every other open world game on the market now. -- Big bouncy exclamation marks, vomit-inducing health bars, no more plains biome, new jeep vehicle that can plough through trees and looks like it belongs in the Mad Max universe, very basic gun modifications which are cool but aren't a necessity, and even more rugged terrain. -- The only thing that got me excited was when Joel said that the AI was under massive reconstruction. Everything else was just... meh.

Edit:

What about you guys?

Would you like to see the console versions of 7 Days To Die try and reach PC status in terms of features and content, or would you like to see them officially finish it with one last big update and then release nothing but bug fixes?

I'm not here to try and speak for everyone else, or even debate with anyone for that matter. I'm just simply throwing it out there that I wouldn't mind if the next update for console's is the last we'll ever see. :)

For me the big things are. (All centered around a more optimized Unity, or some serious hardware improvements.)

Full Navezgane map from a16.

All additional POI's.

All the new zeds and animals.

Full gamestages update with the leveled screamer groups.

I really don't care much about the electricity.

For me the big things are. (All centered around a more optimized Unity, or some serious hardware improvements.)

All additional POI's.

Yeah, I mean, to have all of those would be absolutely fantastic as well! Especially gamestages which is something I actually forgot to mention myself. You know me, anything to increase that challenge! :p

All additional POI's.

I totally agree with these. I also would like to see the new "gun system" port over as well. I always hated the gun parts, thought that was very unrealistic.

I also agree with EasyPeasy. This game is unique in that it is so addicting & so easy to take a break from, pick it back up & jump right back in.

I also took a few month break & just recently started playing again. The game is still helifun but i am anxiously awaiting to see what the update brings as well.

Personally, I'd love to see electricity come to the console. I don't have the PC version at all and I've only seen a little bit of it on youtube, but it seems like fun. Having to figure out solar panels, generators and batteries really seems like an apocalypse thing to do.

I couldn't agree more about the jeep or helicopter things, though. Even though I can apply wet concrete with a nail gun, those are pushing my willing suspension of disbelief.

Great post and I totally agree, I’ve not long come back to the game after a little break, and that is the awesome thing about the game, if it gets stale you start over and you will have different struggles each time around, I would be happy if the update just made things smoother to run and had a few little additions, a couple more poi’s maybe a new zed, compound bow would be sweet, electric would be awesome don’t get me wrong but I’d be happy without, this is one of my all time favourite games already, maybe in the future there will be a 7d2d #2 until then anything we get is awesome!

to be perfectly honest, i love the game the way it is right now. there is only one thing left that i want to see, and that is the damn MD5 errors and constant crashes fixed. to add anything more would make it too much like a couple of other games released in recent weeks (FC5 & SOD2). my wife and i have actually put 7DTD on the shelf for now because of the constant crashes (about 45 min apart now) causing us to become very frustated with the game. we felt it best to take a break before the frustration torned to hate. she keeps saying that it is a good thing that she doesn't know how to find the forums because of what she would post. so we will play other games for a while and hope that some day soon this game will be fixed so that we can actually enjoy playing it again. and i really hope it gets fixed before i can afford to buy one of the previously mentioned titles or we may never come back.

Great post and I totally agree, I've not long come back to the game after a little break, and that is the awesome thing about the game, if it gets stale you start over and you will have different struggles each time around, I would be happy if the update just made things smoother to run and had a few little additions, a couple more poi’s maybe a new zed, compound bow would be sweet, electric would be awesome don’t get me wrong but I’d be happy without, this is one of my all time favourite games already, maybe in the future there will be a 7d2d #2 until then anything we get is awesome!

Exactly.

7 Days To Die will always be a game I'll keep coming back to one way or another. Overall, I must've already put in around 400-500 hours into this game now on PS4 and I'm still loving every second of it. So, yeah... to say I've got my money's worth would be an understatement at this point! :D

I'm just thankful we have a game like this on consoles to be honest.

to be perfectly honest, i love the game the way it is right now. there is only one thing left that i want to see, and that is the damn MD5 errors and constant crashes fixed. to add anything more would make it too much like a couple of other games released in recent weeks (FC5 & SOD2). my wife and i have actually put 7DTD on the shelf for now because of the constant crashes (about 45 min apart now) causing us to become very frustated with the game. we felt it best to take a break before the frustration torned to hate. she keeps saying that it is a good thing that she doesn't know how to find the forums because of what she would post. so we will play other games for a while and hope that some day soon this game will be fixed so that we can actually enjoy playing it again. and i really hope it gets fixed before i can afford to buy one of the previously mentioned titles or we may never come back.

I agree.

Hopefully all those crashing and MD5 errors get fixed soon! I can only imagine how frustrating it must be to keep constantly losing all of your progress.

I'd say maybe consider getting a PS4 to play the game on instead but I know that is probably the last thing you'd wanna hear. So just try to stay hopeful, I guess! It's all you can do really.

All additional POI's.

Paint and compound bow to add to this. As of how it is now I don't care much for the electricity. I don't use it on the PC version when I play it. I see how much issues it causes some on the PC from time to time and from that alone from what I have seen first hand and what I seen from others I hope the console doesn't even try to get it. I know some will not agree or like the thought of that but it is 100% fact that the console can not handle electricity with the traps and such as it is now. Possibility even will not handle it after it optimized. Console can't even have to many torches or the lights it has in game now in one spot. It definitely isn't going to be able to handle that plus more electricity stuff.

Paint would be awesome, but not needed. The biggest thing i think console needs is the map and POI's from A16. Why cant we have the massive skyscrapers that take forever to loot? i am also in aggreance that nothing in A17 looks appealing to me. Jeeps, bicycles, and a helicopter are the furthest from what this game needs. The improved AI is probably the only thing worth updating to A17 for. Electricity would be nice, but i understand that may be way too much for the console so its not a deal breaker.

I agree.

Hopefully all those crashing and MD5 errors get fixed soon! I can only imagine how frustrating it must be to keep constantly losing all of your progress.

I'd say maybe consider getting a PS4 to play the game on instead but I know that is probably the last thing you'd wanna hear. So just try to stay hopeful, I guess! It's all you can do really.

there was a time when the PlayStation was the only console i would own, hell, i still have PS1s & PS2s floating around here somewhere and even a few games to go with them. but Sony lost me with the PS3. the console was ok, but there were too few titles to go with it. i think i owned maybe a half dozen, and really only liked 2 or 3. a friend showed me a few great games on the XB360 that were really great, so the next day i sold the PS3 and bought a XB360 and never looked back. i think i own nearly 200 XB360 titles and nearly that many for the XB1. with the backward compatibility reaching all the way back to include original XBOX titles an the cross platform gaming, i don't see myself going back to any PlayStation any time soon. as for 7DTD, if Iron Galaxy developers don't get their act together soon and get the game fixed, i will probably shelve it indefinately in favor of games that are actually playableof all of the titles that i currently own, this is the only one with these kind of problems.

as for losing progress in the game, we are at about day 150 and haven't lost anythg except 3 to 15 minutes of progress per crash. but since the game is crashing in 45 minute intervals, it means we only make 30 minutes of progress at a time, which to me, that basically makes the game unplayable and definitely unenjoyable. so for the foreseeable future, it's FO4 for solo play and Neverwinter for co-op with the wife.

Paint would be awesome, but not needed. The biggest thing i think console needs is the map and POI's from A16. Why cant we have the massive skyscrapers that take forever to loot? i am also in aggreance that nothing in A17 looks appealing to me. Jeeps, bicycles, and a helicopter are the furthest from what this game needs. The improved AI is probably the only thing worth updating to A17 for. Electricity would be nice, but i understand that may be way too much for the console so its not a deal breaker.

I agree with all of this as well.

To my surprise it seems we're all on the same page here pretty much. And yeah, while having features like paint and electricity would be nice and all, I could definitely live without them. Same goes for traps, too!

For me the main priority right now should be getting distant POI's onto consoles with the new socket system for towns and cities in random gen, which are two features that go hand-in-hand with each other. Just the thought of climbing to the top of a hill and then being able to see an entire town from miles away is amazing, and that alone will undoubtedly further cement 7 Days To Die of being the best and most impressive looking voxel game on console's to date.

I'd imagine the heatmap changes would be able to make it too, along with all the updated gamestages from alpha 16 like SylenThunder mentioned as well. Which, for some reason, I just assumed that the heatmaps and gamestages were essentially the same thing. Either way, that for me is all I'd like to see now and if I got those things I'd be fully satisfied with the console versions.

People said the same thing about paint when they showed it off for A16. Actually many people complained some what heavy about it. Then when people started using it most of those people came back and actually was happy they added it. Now I could be wrong as I can't remember for sure one way or the other but if I recall adding the paint made more free space for the block ID or something. Doing so would free some space and would actually help some what. So besides the paint is actually very useful it can help the system also even if it is just a little.

Just a small example, some of you may or may not get involved in the building challenges but adding paint would also help with making even more challenges and better ones. Either way it is actually a very useful tool to have.

For me the main priority right now should be getting distant POI's onto consoles with the new socket system for towns and cities in random gen, which are two features that go hand-in-hand with each other. Just the thought of climbing to the top of a hill and then being able to see an entire town from miles away is amazing, and that alone will undoubtedly further cement 7 Days To Die of being the best and most impressive looking voxel game on console's to date.

This isnt possible for the most part, due to the processing power and RAM capacities of the console. So this is one of those things i am pretty sure will never happen on console. The massive open world and being able to see far distance is the biggest RAM user of the game on the PC if im not mistaken.

This isnt possible for the most part, due to the processing power and RAM capacities of the console. So this is one of those things i am pretty sure will never happen on console. The massive open world and being able to see far distance is the biggest RAM user of the game on the PC if im not mistaken.

Well, who knows really.

Your guess is as good as mine. I'd like to think it is possible because we can see glimpses of distant POI's on console's already, like when an airdrop lands in the middle of a town and buildings spawn in around it which you're able to see from miles away. So one can only hope, right.

Also, if I'm remembering this correctly, I believe they're using the same rendering technology as the distant terrain for the POI's too. Which to my understanding (please correct me if I'm wrong) basically makes the game "think" that the towns, cities, and buildings are just apart of the terrain which is why you can see them from such great distances.

But, again... who knows if any of this is possible on consoles. The only people who do know are the developers.

People said the same thing about paint when they showed it off for A16. Actually many people complained some what heavy about it. Then when people started using it most of those people came back and actually was happy they added it. Now I could be wrong as I can't remember for sure one way or the other but if I recall adding the paint made more free space for the block ID or something. Doing so would free some space and would actually help some what. So besides the paint is actually very useful it can help the system also even if it is just a little.

Just a small example, some of you may or may not get involved in the building challenges but adding paint would also help with making even more challenges and better ones. Either way it is actually a very useful tool to have.

I mean, you make a great point. I don't participate in the building challenges myself but I do often pop in there to check out what other people have built. There are some really impressive builders out there, for sure!

Microsoft increased their RAM in the X. But that isn't going to help with the memory leak,so the game will still crash even with distant terrain and the large RAM. The truth is years ago PC had MD5s, they didn't go away untill the PCs hardware got better. So unless Unity can optimize their engine for the consoles we are screwed till the next gen consoles.

Awesome post, EasyPeasy.

I agree with you and with the list SylenThunder posted. This game is, at it's heart, about survival. The introduction of things like electricity, helicopters and the mega-Jeep seem to take things too far into the opposite direction of the games theme for me.

I love the need to scrounge for everything. I love that you need to seriously think before you unleash your gun on a hoard because the noise will just attract more zombies. I love all the things that make survival in this game truly challenging and I don;t want those A16 additions that infringe upon this domain.

Yes, please throw in the POI's, please add the new Z skins - those things are awesome and just add to the flavour of the game but I'd be really happy if that was, as you suggest, the last update we receive. 7DTD is unlike any other game in it's genre in its use of survival and crafting and I'd love it to stay like this. I'm an Xbox player and am fortunate enough to have never suffered an MD5 error (touch wood). I play a lot of single player 7DTD so typically enjoy very stable games. I get that there are people who love playing Multiplayer but, for me, this game has everything I need and the isolation of playing alone makes the survival aspect that much deeper.

The Entire Navezgane Map. Departure in the Southeast, and theres still an open spot in the Southwest, don't know if it's been revealed or not, but it's definitely another square for a city. With the new POI's so random gen maps benefit from new structures, that would make the variations even better.

Paint, and other structures limited to Creative only to be available in a regular game. I know it's not high on the list on probably the majority of players, but I love the opportunity to be creative with the structures I build. As is, I've had to use alternative methods to create the effect I want, but it comes with a cost. The ability to craft the structures we simply can't get outside of creative would be awesome, but being able to paint would mean I could truly make my base structurally strong, but visually how I want it. If not paint, then concrete that can be different color like the white and peach adobe blocks.

As for an actual feature, I would like some form of random gen preview, or an actual ability to select options for said map. While I love the exploration aspect, I've abandoned games once I learned they were rather empty. I don't want a map with 90% water and comprised of 4 ways. But I also learned with my current random gen that I don't actually need 12 towns either. But a more consistent random world would be ideal. Now if we could manipulate the biomes to generate more or less what we want, that would definitely be a feature I think would make almost everyone happier.

Better A.I. wouldn't have me arguing at all either. To be honest, I would love improved controls on aiming, and definitely the various zombie types we miss out on.

But health bars? Floating markers? The additional vehicles, one which flies??Great way to break immersion. Have they forgotten it was a survival/crafting game, and that's why people loved the game? We play 7 Days to Die, not 7 Days to GTA.

They can keep electricity. As it is, I can't even use the Light Switch 2 as they'll cause my game to crash. I actually thought my Navezgane game was unplayable until I learned otherwise. So no thanks, if a simple light switch can't work properly, no way electricity will ever work on console. It actually makes me sad that the simple light switches causes issues, loved how my base looked with them installed.

But most importantly, the game needs to continuously emphasize the survival aspect combined with crafting. This is the games biggest asset and appeal in my opinion. I haven't even had any urge to play any other game since I started playing couple months ago. My only regret was not trying it when I got it in a Telltale bundle back in October.

Awesome post, EasyPeasy.

I agree with you and with the list SylenThunder posted.

Thank you. :)

This game is, at it's heart, about survival. The introduction of things like electricity, helicopters and the mega-Jeep seem to take things too far into the opposite direction of the games theme for me.

I love the need to scrounge for everything. I love that you need to seriously think before you unleash your gun on a hoard because the noise will just attract more zombies. I love all the things that make survival in this game truly challenging and I don;t want those A16 additions that infringe upon this domain.

Yes, please throw in the POI's, please add the new Z skins - those things are awesome and just add to the flavour of the game but I'd be really happy if that was, as you suggest, the last update we receive. 7DTD is unlike any other game in it's genre in its use of survival and crafting and I'd love it to stay like this. I'm an Xbox player and am fortunate enough to have never suffered an MD5 error (touch wood). I play a lot of single player 7DTD so typically enjoy very stable games. I get that there are people who love playing Multiplayer but, for me, this game has everything I need and the isolation of playing alone makes the survival aspect that much deeper.

Yeah, I'm pretty much on board with everything you're saying. It is all about the survival! And, to be honest, as I was watching Joel's previews of alpha 17 and going from one video to the next it kept looking less and less like a survival game to me. I'm not a fan of the big red bouncy exclamation marks or health bars at all personally, and all the new vehicles don't necessarily fit the theme of the game either as you said yourself and instead just look kinda wacky.

The new jeep for example, that thing is basically a fortress on wheels! Gas that monstrosity up and you'll never have to worry about hoard nights again. The new motorcycle however looks pretty cool, but like, Nicholas Cage in Ghost Rider cool! I wouldn't be surprised if it spits fire and turns your head into a flaming skull every time you ride it. I mean, at this point it might as well right. The gyrocopter on the other hand just reminded me of Far Cry 4. Yup, that's all I can say about that really. It looks like it'll make a great tool to evade the hordes, though! Similar to the jeep. (Take that hoards!) I think the only vehicle that I did like was the regular Sedan because that actually went well with the theme of 7 Days To Die and seemed more plausible and realistic.

Side Note:

I feel completely removing the plains and maple forrest biomes was a little much, too. But either way I'm sure A17 will be great on PC! I hope it goes well for them and people love all the new content. I don't know if these changes and additions are things PC gamers asked for but from what I can gather they seem to be into it, so it's all good I guess. If none of that stuff ever made it's way onto consoles though I wouldn't mind at all. Just sayin'.

Thank you. :)

Yeah, I'm pretty much on board with everything you're saying. It is all about the survival! And, to be honest, as I was watching Joel's previews of alpha 17 and going from one video to the next it kept looking less and less like a survival game to me. I'm not a fan of the big red bouncy exclamation marks or health bars at all personally, and all the new vehicles don't necessarily fit the theme of the game either as you said yourself and instead just look kinda wacky.

The new jeep for example, that thing is basically a fortress on wheels! Gas that monstrosity up and you'll never have to worry about hoard nights again. The new motorcycle however looks pretty cool, but like, Nicholas Cage in Ghost Rider cool! I wouldn't be surprised if it spits fire and turns your head into a flaming skull every time you ride it. I mean, at this point it might as well right. The gyrocopter on the other hand just reminded me of Far Cry 4. Yup, that's all I can say about that really. It looks like it'll make a great tool to evade the hordes, though! Similar to the jeep. (Take that hoards!) I think the only vehicle that I did like was the regular Sedan because that actually went well with the theme of 7 Days To Die and seemed more plausible and realistic.

Side Note:

I feel completely removing the plains and maple forrest biomes was a little much, too. But either way I'm sure A17 will be great on PC! I hope it goes well for them and people love all the new content. I don't know if these changes and additions are things PC gamers asked for but from what I can gather they seem to be into it, so it's all good I guess. If none of that stuff ever made it's way onto consoles though I wouldn't mind at all. Just sayin'.

The health bar stuff I personally not looking forward to and will go into the files and turn it off. But that is just me, unfortunately if that makes it to console I will not be able to get into the files to turn it off. Oh well I guess.

As far as some of the other stuff keep in mind the size of the pc maps are way bigger and most seeds on rwg have around 50 plus towns/cities. Then pc multiplayer at least the sub servers I play on normally has between 10 to 20 people on the sever around the clock. So with bigger maps and more people the Jeep will allow for at least 2 people to ride together maybe even use it to attack someone else base. It should have more storage so it allows you to load a little more so you can venture out more and such. I'm sure the Jeep isn't going to be op or anything so it to should balance out. Also with the bandits being added it isn't only zombies and other players to worry about. So that survival will still be in it minus the health bar. But this all fits in pretty good for the pc side not so sure as of yet if it fits for console. Will wait and see what all else they will be able to do with console then decide I guess.

As someone who's played extensively on console, and pc. I wouldn't mind seeing going over to console:

The core talent changes

Paint, and block rotation additions

The newly skinned zombies

Distant poi

Screamer changes because screamers are now greater than horde nights

the rest of A16 is a buggy mess, and really needs a lot of fine tuning. Electricity causes huge lag and can corrupt chunks, traps are way to op (i mean, comeon turrets against 8 zombies a wave? and the AI seems to be 20x worse on pc (in multiplayer, they hit you from 3 meters away, and run in circles, sometimes away from you)

- - - Updated - - -

The health bar stuff I personally not looking forward to and will go into the files and turn it off. But that is just me, unfortunately if that makes it to console I will not be able to get into the files to turn it off. Oh well I guess.

As far as some of the other stuff keep in mind the size of the pc maps are way bigger and most seeds on rwg have around 50 plus towns/cities. Then pc multiplayer at least the sub servers I play on normally has between 10 to 20 people on the sever around the clock. So with bigger maps and more people the Jeep will allow for at least 2 people to ride together maybe even use it to attack someone else base. It should have more storage so it allows you to load a little more so you can venture out more and such. I'm sure the Jeep isn't going to be op or anything so it to should balance out. Also with the bandits being added it isn't only zombies and other players to worry about. So that survival will still be in it minus the health bar. But this all fits in pretty good for the pc side not so sure as of yet if it fits for console. Will wait and see what all else they will be able to do with console then decide I guess.

I hate to break it to you, but most public mp have vehicles disabled because of the issues that arise (missing, dropping through landscape, losing permissions ect) Alpha 16 has been the slowest for MP that I've experienced both due to the new mp issues and the length of the dev cycle. Really crossing my fingers for unity 2018!

Archived