Can we get a date on a fix for these crashes?

She Vexy

Can we get a date soon on the crash fixes? It's irritating im trying to get the 1000 score achievement but the game crashes at like 2 hours in constantly which resets the achievement.. I am playing in an online game with one other player. Ples lol

Hi She Vexy,

I moved your post to it's own thread - please avoid jumping into other players threads in future, this helps to avoid confusion where multiple questions from multiple people are being asked and answered.

I understand the frustration with the crashes on console, as you mentioned regular 2 hour crashing am I right in thinking that you are playing on XB1?

Is the achievement you are referring to the staying alive for 1000+ minutes in game? If you log out and back in, does this still reset your timer? If not it may be worth keeping an eye for Crash indicators (flickering menus, severe weather) and logging out and logging back in so you don't crash out.

Unfortunately, while I know the team are working on these issues, I do not have an estimated date for a fix.

Clare

Update

Hi She Vexy,

I moved your post to it's own thread - please avoid jumping into other players threads in future, this helps to avoid confusion where multiple questions from multiple people are being asked and answered.

I understand the frustration with the crashes on console, as you mentioned regular 2 hour crashing am I right in thinking that you are playing on XB1?

Is the achievement you are referring to the staying alive for 1000+ minutes in game? If you log out and back in, does this still reset your timer? If not it may be worth keeping an eye for Crash indicators (flickering menus, severe weather) and logging out and logging back in so you don't crash out.

Unfortunately, while I know the team are working on these issues, I do not have an estimated date for a fix.

Clare

I am on xbox one. I was referring to the achievement that required 1000 score in a single game. Also I know they're working on it but we also really want the electricity, traps and alpha 16 stuff asap. And lag issues and frame rate. It's not fair to make all these requests but I keep running into these things that make me go "i wish we had this and that from the pc version" or "why can't my xbox one s run this game at a steady fps?" I like this game I wanna see it get awesome things. Just.. sooner the better :'c

I understand where you're coming from She Vexy, once I have more information on the next update and what it'll contain (fixes, anything new etc) then I will post it in the Console News and Announcements section on the forums - so keep an eye out there for any updates.

Clare

Shouldn't take this long

I will start off by saying I really enjoy playing this game but after taking a 2 month break and coming back realizing that this game will never be fixed on the console. I think it might be time for everyone that keeps complaining or having these issues should probably just put it on the shelf indefinitely. The game ran way better when I first got it apon the release date for xbox. It did crash alot but never had issues loosing things or areas resetting back to day one. This game has so much potential but clearly not enough hands and minds working on it. I think what's goning to end up happening is a new game similar to this will come out and pass this one up. It's bound to happen.... I have figured out away to stop the md5 error for me and that is by building in the desert in Navizgane and staying away from all prefabs....I'm on day 203 and have a huge base never loosing anything( Knock on wood). Every sub base I did on a prefabs like the working stiff has partially reset. None of those resets bothered me any but the fact that they even happen is irritating. I'm sure I'll get flack for this post but it is what it is the game is unplayable. My favorite part of the game is the pvp and after joining someone world and preparing for 20 min all I get is booted. Also it says all achievements on this game have been received but there are still 7 I haven't unlocked one being getting hundred player kills. It stopped at 66 even though I have probably closer to 200 210. I have about 185 recording of taking out other players but it stays a 66. So instead of going through hours of reading on these forums about the same problems I would really recommend just finding another game that is less irritating.there is no proof of anything even being worked on ever update that has come out has said it fixed something that still being complained about to date. So good luck to all you player that are willing to deal with the headache of it all I did my 2 years ...also good luck to the fun pimps and all the developers that are working on the console version I truly hope you get it right or get a new game out that will top this and work properly

1. Never say never.

2. Have you ever tried to narrow down a bug that's hidden in 30 million lines of code, and has thousands of possible triggers? (That's the MD5 issue BTW. You can look it up. It has been getting better, but it's really hard to tell when you only are narrowing the triggers down from 8,000 to 5 or 6,000)

3. This isn't a PvP game. It is really sad that some idiot felt the need to give stupid PvP achievements IMHO.

4. The Fun Pimps don't work on the console version. They are developing the PC Alpha version. You're here to complain and don't even know what is actually going on?

5. Not a bug report, so you aren't even posting in the right section. I'll move it to somewhere more appropriate for the usual whining threads.

Shouldn't take this long

That's what she said.

But seriously, you got the worst available version of the game. PS4 is much more stable than XBOX, most of the MD5 loss threads you will see here are from XBOX, and if you got the PC version you would be pretty happy with it.

https://7daystodie.com/forums/showthread.php?62391-When-Will-the-Console-Version-Have-_______ has some straight dope about the differences between console and PC versions that you might find enlightening.

As for why your achievement progress stopped, just a guess, related to updates changing the value that the achievement is looking for.

1. Never say never.

2. Have you ever tried to narrow down a bug that's hidden in 30 million lines of code, and has thousands of possible triggers? (That's the MD5 issue BTW. You can look it up. It has been getting better, but it's really hard to tell when you only are narrowing the triggers down from 8,000 to 5 or 6,000)

3. This isn't a PvP game. It is really sad that some idiot felt the need to give stupid PvP achievements IMHO.

4. The Fun Pimps don't work on the console version. They are developing the PC Alpha version. You're here to complain and don't even know what is actually going on?

5. Not a bug report, so you aren't even posting in the right section. I'll move it to somewhere more appropriate for the usual whining threads.

Sorry, had to:

https://giphy.com/gifs/burn-diss-gifamerica-ZUwjT4TrkElu8

But seriously, you got the worst available version of the game.

and that's why they come here to complain. trying to blame the console for IGs failing is pretty sad. hundreds if not thousands of other developers are able make games work on the Xbox, why can't they?

people feel scammed that after two years IG can't figure out how to make the game not delete hundreds of hours of work or give us multiple save slots or manual saving to limit the damage. almost every other game i have has these options and they don't corrupt game saves, so why can't they implement this in their broken game?

and that's why they come here to complain. trying to blame the console for IGs failing is pretty sad. hundreds if not thousands of other developers are able make games work on the Xbox, why can't they?

people feel scammed that after two years IG can't figure out how to make the game not delete hundreds of hours of work or give us multiple save slots or manual saving to limit the damage. almost every other game i have has these options and they don't corrupt game saves, so why can't they implement this in their broken game?

i totally agree with this statement. my wife and i love this game, but we are getting VERY frustrated with the game. we are on day 136 and time between crashes is down to about 50 minutes and with the average of 7 minutes lost in the resync of the game, we are getting less than 45 min of productive gameplay for every hour we play. and half of that time is spent searching for a mini bike that for some reason feel that it is obligated to play hide & seek with us after nearly every crash.

as stated in the quote above post, there are hundreds of other games for the XB1 (many much more complicated than 7DTD) that run perfectly. it is really bad that i am getting so frustrated that i would rather play games like Mass Effect and Minecraft than 7DTD anymore. even Fallout 4 is more fun anymore. at least i don't have to worry about everything i have spent hours and hours building disappearing in an instant because of a crash. these issues should have beed fixed before the game was ever released as a finnished product. i do applaud the continued support we have enjoyed, but that support seemes to be waning. the last update of any kind that we have seen was way back in January and we have barely heard anything from the devs since then.

i really do love this game, but i do find myself agreeing with the OP that it may be time to shelve it for a while to avoid becoming so frustrated with it that i begin to hate it. many of us have stated "it is a huge task to find the trigger in thousands of lines of code", including myself. but that excuse is wearing thin since it has been used over and over for nearly three years, now. and there many new games to explore that players don't have to worry about losing hundreds of hours of game play progress in a moment due to an error that most developers eradicated more than a decade ago. the last time i played a game so plagued with MD5 errors was back in 1987 on my old CoCo 2 and Commadre 64.

Agreed. My save was completely wiped after a MD5 crash, even from the cloud. I tried syncing to another console to download the cloud save and it didnt work, hence why i know the cloud save was deleted too. I was on day 67 i believe, and had built my own base to try and avoid the prefab base crashes. Im done with the game until i can afford to buy a new graphics card for my desktop to be able to play on PC. The damn bitcoin mining really jacked the price of graphics cards and it sucks! I want to start a new game on the xbox so bad, but the idea of losing yet another game completely keeps me from doing it

1st off I'm clearly just stating a opinion. If anyone such as yourself takes it to heart please remember it is clearly my opinion. I'm sure it is hard to find the bugs problems. That being said everyone saying the same problems over and over is not helping fix anything. Its just people coming on here reading the same problems worded differently. I appreciate you putting this post to where you think it should go.i really don't think it matters cause if you are on here looking at console version you have your griefs or are just curious of what you might run into.

1st off I'm clearly just stating a opinion. If anyone such as yourself takes it to heart please remember it is clearly my opinion. I'm sure it is hard to find the bugs problems. That being said everyone saying the same problems over and over is not helping fix anything. Its just people coming on here reading the same problems worded differently. I appreciate you putting this post to where you think it should go.i really don't think it matters cause if you are on here looking at console version you have your griefs or are just curious of what you might run into.

I think people on here just get frustrated reading the same problems over & over again about the md5 crashes.

It does suck & I feel bad for you Xbox players. It's really not fair you all have to deal with this. Just try to do a bug report if you can with as much detail as possible. That's really the only way they can attempt to find these annoying bugs.

Good luck man & hope you don't give up on the game. However if you do, no one can blame you.

warframe still does that

It always has. Which is why I stopped playing it on the PS4 and switched to the PC. I was sad to lose the progress I had made, but the difference was so amazing, that I only felt that sadness for a very short period of time.

Also, I'm going to merge these two threads, because they are basically the same thing, and there is no reason to have two of them.

https://7daystodie.com/forums/showthread.php?82842-Can-we-get-a-date-on-a-fix-for-these-crashes

https://7daystodie.com/forums/showthread.php?82994-Shouldn-t-take-this-long

That's what the op literally just said tho... the same bugs reported over and over for three years not being fixed. What's the point in reporting if it's literally the same bug over and over.

Because the bug has thousands of triggers that cause it.

So they narrow down and remove a few hundred causes, but there are still several hundred left.

You reporting the bugs with as much detail as possible helps them to continue narrowing down and fixing the things that are triggering the bug.

If you don't report the issue with details, they'll only fix that trigger by coming across it randomly in their own testing.

Bug fixing isn't nearly as simple as a lot of you seem to think.

Lets play with some math, just to give you a small idea. Keep in mind, this is all theoretical, and solely done to show a process. These are not hard facts, but should give you a glimpse of what it takes to get a bug fixed.

I do not know exactly how many triggers there are, but it has been stated they are in the thousands.

I do not know exactly what IG's bug-testing process is, but this is a pretty common method I have seen over the past 25 years that I've been working with Alpha projects and game development.

• Say the bug has 5,000 possible triggers.
  • A trigger can be something like this. The exact set of steps has to happen for the bug to trigger.
  • User reports bug in forum, bug report is sent to developer.
    • Tester for the developers plays game for 3 hours
    • Start crafting 546 gunpowder
    • Open a locked container and sort it
    • Close container and open forge
    • Bug triggered, game crashed

[*]They get a report of a trigger and test it again to duplicate it and confirm.

[*]Read the code that's being run when the trigger happens.

[*]Submit a ticket to the team to look into the error in the code.

[*]Team modifies the code to fix the trigger.

[*]Tester now has to try to replicate the trigger and ensure it does not occur again.

Now, in this layout, the tester spends a minimum of 9 hours working on the game testing the trigger.

Figure the dev team spends another 6 hours working on the fix.

You have 5,000 bugs to resolve.

Now for the math. 5,000 bugs x 2 working days to fix = 10,000 days to fix all the bugs. (Assuming there is reported details for each possible trigger.)

Now assume you have a team of 10 people testing to replicate the bugs, and a developer for each member to fix the trigger they verify.

10,000 days / 10 groups to work on them = 1,000 days = 2.74 years

And that's making the assumption that every trigger is known and reported, and able to be fully replicated and documented.

Now, how well do you think that works when only 300 of the 5,000 triggers are reported and easily duplicated?

That's right. It doesn't work. Testers spend days trying to find a trigger, then more days trying to replicate it. Then the developers have to figure out how to fix the bug without killing 500 things in the game in the process.

It always has. Which is why I stopped playing it on the PS4 and switched to the PC. I was sad to lose the progress I had made, but the difference was so amazing, that I only felt that sadness for a very short period of time.

Also, I'm going to merge these two threads, because they are basically the same thing, and there is no reason to have two of them.

https://7daystodie.com/forums/showthread.php?82842-Can-we-get-a-date-on-a-fix-for-these-crashes

https://7daystodie.com/forums/showthread.php?82994-Shouldn-t-take-this-long

Because the bug has thousands of triggers that cause it.

So they narrow down and remove a few hundred causes, but there are still several hundred left.

You reporting the bugs with as much detail as possible helps them to continue narrowing down and fixing the things that are triggering the bug.

If you don't report the issue with details, they'll only fix that trigger by coming across it randomly in their own testing.

Bug fixing isn't nearly as simple as a lot of you seem to think.

Lets play with some math, just to give you a small idea. Keep in mind, this is all theoretical, and solely done to show a process. These are not hard facts, but should give you a glimpse of what it takes to get a bug fixed.

I do not know exactly how many triggers there are, but it has been stated they are in the thousands.

I do not know exactly what IG's bug-testing process is, but this is a pretty common method I have seen over the past 25 years that I've been working with Alpha projects and game development.

• Say the bug has 5,000 possible triggers.
  • A trigger can be something like this. The exact set of steps has to happen for the bug to trigger.
  • User reports bug in forum, bug report is sent to developer.
    • Tester for the developers plays game for 3 hours
    • Start crafting 546 gunpowder
    • Open a locked container and sort it
    • Close container and open forge
    • Bug triggered, game crashed

[*]They get a report of a trigger and test it again to duplicate it and confirm.

[*]Read the code that's being run when the trigger happens.

[*]Submit a ticket to the team to look into the error in the code.

[*]Team modifies the code to fix the trigger.

[*]Tester now has to try to replicate the trigger and ensure it does not occur again.

Now, in this layout, the tester spends a minimum of 9 hours working on the game testing the trigger.

Figure the dev team spends another 6 hours working on the fix.

You have 5,000 bugs to resolve.

Now for the math. 5,000 bugs x 2 working days to fix = 10,000 days to fix all the bugs. (Assuming there is reported details for each possible trigger.)

Now assume you have a team of 10 people testing to replicate the bugs, and a developer for each member to fix the trigger they verify.

10,000 days / 10 groups to work on them = 1,000 days = 2.74 years

And that's making the assumption that every trigger is known and reported, and able to be fully replicated and documented.

Now, how well do you think that works when only 300 of the 5,000 triggers are reported and easily duplicated?

That's right. It doesn't work. Testers spend days trying to find a trigger, then more days trying to replicate it. Then the developers have to figure out how to fix the bug without killing 500 things in the game in the process.

As someone in software QA... I freaking love you!

Also here is a link to an old PC post about players not being able to connect to each other. That's still in there. That made the jump and if that's not a bug what is it? I've never played another game where people just can't connect to each other sice the game came out.

Sry bout that. https://7daystodie.com/forums/showthread.php?2367-More-Alpha-5-fixes!

Also here is a link to an old PC post about players not being able to connect to each other. That's still in there. That made the jump and if that's not a bug what is it? I've never played another game where people just can't connect to each other sice the game came out.

Your link didn't make it to the ticket, but most of the time it's general network/port/firewall/internet issues that have nothing to do with the client at all. Just like how a lot of ISP provided modems don't handle uPNP correctly for the Xbox. To be fair though, any game connecting across a network/internet is going to run into these multi-layered issues no matter what the platform is.

Archived