Move to Canada is a thing?

themirror

Hello guys, recently I'm considering to move to Canada with my wife.

Doing some search in jobs on my working area, a few jobs for IT, software development in Canada (Toronto and near cities) in $ 35 to $ 50/h for 40h/week range shows up. Here in Brazil actually my pay-grade is about to R$ 10,55/h for 45h/week.

Searching some houses and average costs on vehicles, house rent, supermarket bills I've found this:

House rent (3 bedrooms, 2 baths, garage and garden ): ~$1200,00

Average supermarket per month: ~$250,00/person

Buy a car: $1 (????? someone can explain it to me???) - $8000.

Gas: ~$1,24/liter

This values are actually correct? This costs are too odd for me (Example: here I pay ~R$ 4,80/liter of gas, a "low-price" used car is something like R$ 26.000,00)

If anyone can tell me how you is living in Canada, I would be very grateful.

Could someone tell me how much (average costs) I will spend in gas heating on winter, water, electricity and internet bills?

Seriously guys, I really need to know this costs. I'm done to live in Brazil :smile-new:

Buy a car: $1 (????? someone can explain it to me???) - $8000.

That most likely has to do with down payment and then rent to own sort of deal. Basically, you "buy" the car for $1, then make monthly payments until the price of the car plus a lot of interests get payed off in full. Once the debt is payed, then you fully own the car, but by then, you'll be ready to buy another car. North America loves influencing ppl into creating debt. But there is of course the option to buy a vehicle outright without the debt, they just don't advertise it as it's the big bad scary numbers that no one wants to see.

Gas prices are something everyone complains about, I don't think it even matters what the prices are anymore, but I ride a motorcycle, so I couldn't care less what they are. $20 in gas goes a long way in a motorcycle.

Apartment / house rental is ok if you know what to look for. But there are a lot of apartments that look nice but realistically aren't that good or is in a bad location, and some that look terrible and somehow the rent is overpriced as well. So be ready to check out a dozen different places before deciding on any one particular apartment. Making sure the landlord isn't a slumlord is also a good idea as most of them act all nice and professional until something breaks in your home and the landlord couldn't be bothered to try and fix it.

The whole supermarket per month part of your post I don't understand. Food prices aren't too bad. I manage just fine without struggle. I probably spend around $150 - $175 a month on food, but I don't generally eat too healthy.

Do keep in mind though that getting a job in IT isn't easy as there's a lot of competition here. Employers consider them a dime a dozen. So make sure to get a job before moving.

That most likely has to do with down payment and then rent to own sort of deal. Basically, you "buy" the car for $1, then make monthly payments until the price of the car plus a lot of interests get payed off in full. Once the debt is payed, then you fully own the car, but by then, you'll be ready to buy another car. North America loves influencing ppl into creating debt. But there is of course the option to buy a vehicle outright without the debt, they just don't advertise it as it's the big bad scary numbers that no one wants to see.

Gas prices are pretty ridiculous here which is why I ride a motorcycle.

Car mystery [bUSTED]! Here in Brazil you simply sell the car with it's value and debts cost (Example: R$ 3000,00 + 56x R$450,00)

A ridiculous gas price is brazilian price... we pay an average of R$ 4,80/liter for gas... the average salary is something about R$ 2000,00 to R$3000,00 per month... I can pay $1,24/liter with a 5k/month with a big smile on my face!

Actually in Brazil I spend at least R$ 400,00 in gas every month just to go to work and go back to my home. I'm thinking to buy a motorcycle here to low my gas costs to R$ 100,00/month and pay the motorcycle with the money saved.

Thanks Fox

The whole supermarket per month part of your post I don't understand. Food prices aren't too bad. I manage just fine without struggle. I probably spend around $150 - $175 a month on food, but I don't generally eat too healthy.

My questioning about supermarket is because here in Brazil I spend more money in supermarket.

Actually I earn R$10,55/h on my job and spend R$ 275-380/month on supermarket.

Do keep in mind though that getting a job in IT isn't easy as there's a lot of competition here. Employers consider them a dime a dozen. So make sure to get a job before moving.

Yes, I will move only after get a job. I'm also considering other job options in case IT job does not work for some reason.

As for Internet, you'll be instantly disappointed in the prices and download speeds. I googled what your internet is like and while our upload speeds are far better, the download speeds are far lower. I myself am paying $75/month for 40Mbit/20Mbit fiber optic / DSL connection. For an extra $40, I can get a bit better than that, but basically, it's really sad. Of course, prices / performances differ a bit per location. On the plus side, it's easy to find a tenant to share the internet with which cuts the costs in half.

As for heating, always make sure to get gas or water heating. Whether it's radiated or forced air heating is irrelevant, just make sure it isn't electric. This is Canada after all, it gets pretty cold here and electric heating is the most expensive (and also the most dangerous). Considering where you're coming from, you'll likely feel cold here even during mid-summer, so make sure to have access to control your own heat as all landlords here (who control the heat for you) will shut off the heat completely during the summer.

I think we have an "antifreeze" gene that we are born with. I also think sometimes mine glitches out. I was out shoveling snow the other day and actually had to wear socks.....SOCKS!

Pfft. I'm from Texas, and you'll still catch me out shoveling in my crocks. Usually I'll be close to done using the blower on the driveway before I think "maybe I should have put the boots on".

Be sure to look at healthcare in-depth too. The system in Canada is a bit odd I think.

I think we have an "antifreeze" gene that we are born with. I also think sometimes mine glitches out. I was out shoveling snow the other day and actually had to wear socks.....SOCKS!

lol, I didn't even bother to take out my winter coat and boots this winter. The lack of snow and coldness this year was pathetic, barely reached 12 inches total and only had a few days worth of -40 C / F, the rest of winter was -20 C or warmer... but remember everyone, global warming is a myth. Instead, I continued going outside in my motorcycle jacket and sandals. Mind you, I did wear socks.

Be sure to look at healthcare in-depth too. The system in Canada is a bit odd I think.

How is free health care a bit odd? Oh wait, it might be different for foreign ppl, nvm.

As for Internet, you'll be instantly disappointed in the prices and download speeds. I googled what your internet is like and while our upload speeds are far better, the download speeds are far lower. I myself am paying $75/month for 40Mbit/20Mbit fiber optic / DSL connection. For an extra $40, I can get a bit better than that, but basically, it's really sad. Of course, prices / performances differ a bit per location. On the plus side, it's easy to find a tenant to share the internet with which cuts the costs in half.

As for heating, always make sure to get gas or water heating. Whether it's radiated or forced air heating is irrelevant, just make sure it isn't electric. This is Canada after all, it gets pretty cold here and electric heating is the most expensive (and also the most dangerous). Considering where you're coming from, you'll likely feel cold here even during mid-summer, so make sure to have access to control your own heat as all landlords here (who control the heat for you) will shut off the heat completely during the summer.

Internet isn't this good on Brazil... the providers need to deliver only 20% of the purchased speed and in most cities the speed is about 25/2mb (and they can [and will] deliver less speed to you). Also, internet providers is always trying to scam you :D

As for heat... I will froze inside the house hahahaha

We have a brazilian friend here in California and she is always cold except in the height of Summer....and that's California. You'll be quite a few latitudes higher. ;)

I'm from south of Brazil, much more colder than other regions (and maybe I will froze in the same way)

Internet isn't this good on Brazil... the providers need to deliver only 20% of the purchased speed and in most cities the speed is about 25/2mb (and they can [and will] deliver less speed to you). Also, internet providers is always trying to scam you :D

Just for the record 40Mbit/20Mbit (megabit) is equal to 5MB/2.5MB (megabyte). ISP uses megabit to calculate their speeds while we usually refer to megabyte. So the performance is probably near accurate, but the language sucks.

Just for the record 40Mbit/20Mbit (megabit) is equal to 5MB/2.5MB (megabyte). ISP uses megabit to calculate their speeds while we usually refer to megabyte. So the performance is probably near accurate, but the language sucks.

My mistake, here the internet speed is also in Mbit 25/2 Mbit, not bytes. This is the 1st scam that internet providers do to you. They sell the plan as Mb, and in really little letters on contract they tell that it is actually Mbit :D

• 4 weeks later...

Of course moving to another country is a huge thing, but I'm sure that I won't regret.

On this topic (mostly talking to Fox) I've got a good perspective of life costs on Canada. As I have explained the life cost on Brazil is totally nonsense (seriously). Here, my monthly earnings is about to R$ 2000,00 as a software developer working 45h/week. Seraching today on Canada job bank the worst job on the list to a software developer with my capability is C$ 5760,00 monthly for 40h/week.

The only thing expensive on Canada is house rental. Something about CAD$ 1200,00/month.

Forgetting the money for a second, here in Brazil the ppl is becoming much more aggressive (in politics and in their opinion). Actually there is ppl marching in the streets against gay marriage and gays on TV shows. Religions are taking place on political offices, there is new political scandals every day in every news.

Violence has become part of our lives. The police officers uses violence against citizens (according to a recent research 65% of Brazilians fear the police forces), robbery and murder is something ordinary in our lives.

20 days ago, a Rio de Janeiro city councilor, Marielle, was murdered 3 days after reporting that police officers murdered 3 people on a favela and disposed the bodies on a river. Tons and tons of people was inventing stories about her, trying to frame her with drug dealers and talking like she was "defending bandits" and some other fake news.

One politician that will run for President (and has a huge legion following him) has a speech just like Hitler. All his discourses seems to be quoted from Mein Kampf.

Brazil is like a big, big GTA...

Archived