Help: Readable books

Subquake

I'm curious if it's possible to make books, that don't trigger a quest or give a recipe, but instead can be read by displaying a hint window, like the one when you start a fresh game and spawn in the world. Also the book shouldn't despawn from the inventory after reading it.

If anyone has any kind of information regarding this, please share :)

What pops up on game enter is a tooltip. I haven't found a way to just spawn them via XML linked to an item. No idea if you could do it with SDX.

But you COULD use the quest system. I know you don't want to, but you could basically give an empty quest that creates the popup for people to read, and then rewards the item. That way your player gets the book back. :)

EDIT: Just to add to this, I've had a snoop around the DLL. My C# is only basic, but I couldn't find anything related to tooltips on ItemAction, which is what we appear to be calling with the Action0 and Action1 code in the XML.

So I think you'll need to use SDX if you don't want to use the quest system. Otherwise, an auto-completing quest that gives the book back as a reward is the easiest way.

@KhaineGB thanks for taking a look. I wish the game had some kind of book functionality tied to the items other than quests and recipes. Having books with pages would be so amazing for all the book shelves in the game.

And yeah it seems that currently using quest system would be the only way to trigger the quest tip window, but that kind of defeats the purpose of those tips themselves, because you can add text as the quest description to the quest itself rather than trigger the additional tip.

The only benefit I can see to triggering the quest tip vs the description in the inventory, is the tooltip window could be made quite a bit bigger to accomodate a long story.

Which I know would be easy for you to do, because I've seen your UI (which is AMAZING, btw :) )

If you figure out an easy way to make it take time to read those books, instead of absorbing the whole thing instantly, please let us know. :)

Just a quick thought about not "absorbing the whole thing". Using the "Eat" class on Action1 (or 0) of a random item and using Create_item property = self would just return the item after "using" it if im not mistaken.

<item id="xxxx" name="myBookToRead">
bunch of <properties>
<property class="Action1">
    <property name="Class" value="Eat"/>
    bunch of action <properties>
   <property name="Create_item" value="myBookToRead"/>
</property>

Or is that not what you ment to do?

Cheers

-edit- next challenge would only be getting an action property in there (supported by class Eat) to actually show something to read.

-edit2- ooooor check out if class "Quest" in action property supports Create_item property. Then you could use it as a quest to show info window and return the quest to inv by Create_item = self

The only benefit I can see to triggering the quest tip vs the description in the inventory, is the tooltip window could be made quite a bit bigger to accomodate a long story.

Which I know would be easy for you to do, because I've seen your UI (which is AMAZING, btw :) )

That's actually a brilliant idea for a benefit for the description window! :)

Archived