Darkness Falls: They mostly come out at night...

KhaineGB

Probably noted elsewhere, but I understand 'simple' mod files can be placed under the appdata folder (\AppData\Roaming\7DaysToDie\Mods) as long as they do NOT require a DLL to function. Mods that DO use DLL's to function must be placed in the games installation folder. This is likely a permissions or security restriction and not a bug.

An example of this would the slot locking mod (very useful), which only uses xml to do it's thing, could be placed under appdata. But something like DLX weapon fixes would need to be installed in the game folder to work since it uses a DLL to function.

I don't think I have ever discovered anything unexpected in the appdata folder as some users have described (mods, poi's etc), but I also don't use third party tools to manage my mods. I'd guess some mod manager tools are putting stuff in appdata based on their own internal logic (meaning you will need to include checking appdata when refreshing your mods).

37 minutes ago, walkingwounded said:

Probably noted elsewhere, but I understand 'simple' mod files can be placed under the appdata folder (\AppData\Roaming\7DaysToDie\Mods) as long as they do NOT require a DLL to function. Mods that DO use DLL's to function must be placed in the games installation folder. This is likely a permissions or security restriction and not a bug.

An example of this would the slot locking mod (very useful), which only uses xml to do it's thing, could be placed under appdata. But something like DLX weapon fixes would need to be installed in the game folder to work since it uses a DLL to function.

I don't think I have ever discovered anything unexpected in the appdata folder as some users have described (mods, poi's etc), but I also don't use third party tools to manage my mods. I'd guess some mod manager tools are putting stuff in appdata based on their own internal logic (meaning you will need to include checking appdata when refreshing your mods).

Installing to the game folder is needed for some dll containing mods but not for many, and not for Darkness Falls. It depends on the mechanism used to patch the game with the mods. In DF and many others you can place the mod folder anywhere you have read/write access and then reference it with a UserDataFolder parameter. Undead Legacy is an example of a mod that must be installed to the game folder (unless that has change recently but Subquake has said in the past that it won't).

On 10/16/2023 at 8:17 PM, Darkaeacus said:

So can you not go out during night time now? I was watching Guns,Nerds and Steel play the mod and he had those demons that are kinda translucent during his horde nights but never seen them otherwise. I have them on day 1 and 2 at night all around my base. They are pretty much unkillable. Is this how it's supposed to be?

Pretty much the way it works. After all the mod is named "Darkness Falls: They mostly come out at night..."

Your settings can make it "easier", but in general you have to be very careful if you go out at night before you have any kind of decent weapon and armor.

Hi Khaine, first of all, thank you for this mod and the support you're providing. I love playing Darkness Falls much more than I love the classic 7D2D.

I'm experiencing an issue, but I'm not sure if you can help me with it. When I attempt certain quests, I encounter a StackOverflow error at some point. This causes the POI to have no zombie spawns and no loot, and I have to restart the game because the world chunk won't load anymore, putting me at risk of falling into the void.

For example, I was doing an infestation cache quest in the Anarchy Highrise Lab and near the top of the building I had this error pop.

I'm currently on V21.1, but I also tested it on B26 and B27. Here's the log from when the issue occurred. Thanks in advance.

https://pastebin.com/qHKbQmAy 

Hey Guys, I am playing and havent had to many issues besides  Below: 

Playing on a multiplayer sever as the host, other players are experiencing zombies "teleport" to them. I retried on a normal server and no one is experiencing it. Is there something I need to do in order for a multiplayer game to work? 

Khaine said on page 441 :

Build 25 is up! Patch notes and stuff below. As per previous builds, A21.1 STABLE only. If by any chance 21.2 goes stable, tough, you still need 21.1. No 21.0. No A20.whatever. Only A21.1

So the next patch should work on 21.1 too no ?

Edited by Nilrae (see edit history)

15 hours ago, Nilrae said:

Hi Khaine, first of all, thank you for this mod and the support you're providing. I love playing Darkness Falls much more than I love the classic 7D2D.

I'm experiencing an issue, but I'm not sure if you can help me with it. When I attempt certain quests, I encounter a StackOverflow error at some point. This causes the POI to have no zombie spawns and no loot, and I have to restart the game because the world chunk won't load anymore, putting me at risk of falling into the void.

For example, I was doing an infestation cache quest in the Anarchy Highrise Lab and near the top of the building I had this error pop.

I'm currently on V21.1, but I also tested it on B26 and B27. Here's the log from when the issue occurred. Thanks in advance.

https://pastebin.com/qHKbQmAy 

Only time i've seen that is actually a TFP bug. There's some blocks it doesn't like when you try and "reset" the POI. May have to  check which POI it is.

3 hours ago, mrmontana said:

Hey Guys, I am playing and havent had to many issues besides  Below: 

Playing on a multiplayer sever as the host, other players are experiencing zombies "teleport" to them. I retried on a normal server and no one is experiencing it. Is there something I need to do in order for a multiplayer game to work? 

I'd talk to your host. It sounds like there may be an issue with either RAM or CPU.

3 hours ago, Nilrae said:

Khaine said on page 441 :

So the next patch should work on 21.1 too no ?

Yes. Still A21.1 only.

1 hour ago, Tim2500 said:

I am getting a error "attempted to look past the of the stream"  The poi goes blank with nothing in it, and sometimes  i cant rejoin the server(Lan server with just 2 of us playing)  Any idea's.

Sorry Attempted to read past the end of the stream.

18 hours ago, Tim2500 said:

I am getting a error "attempted to look past the of the stream"  The poi goes blank with nothing in it, and sometimes  i cant rejoin the server(Lan server with just 2 of us playing)  Any idea's.

Not much info to work with, but as far as I can tell, that error sometimes indicates some save file has been corrupted and sometimes that the game installation contains old files or mods from other game versions (i.e. it wasn't a clean install). If you search for it, you can find results going back to at least A16.

Advice for fixing it seems to be to verify files, do a clean install, making sure you don't have files from other mods (check to see if you have a  \AppData\Roaming\7DaysToDie\Mods\ folder. Some mods can be lurking there and can interfere with the DF install). So basically the usual advice for everything to do with 7DtD...

The Steam forum for the game has a pinned guide (I would link it, but some links seem to cause a moderation check which often puts the post in limbo for 5+ hours and I'm not sure which links cause it).

You'll also have to make sure the server installation doesn't have issues, of course.

Something I've been wondering about for a bit:

In V4 I never used the DF quest NPCs as traders, but I'm watching GNS' current DF series and was reminded that you can. Razor and Eve don't have anything unusual that I've seen, but Anna has mastery books (and the portal thingy), and since mastery books have been hard to come by in V5 (maybe easier in B27? I got a mastery book in the second air drop in my current game) it is sort of tempting when you feel like you're not getting anywhere.

Is she meant to be used as a trader?

She doesn't have the usual trade menu option, but that could be due to some coding stuff, and she does have those special things, which she probably doesn't have to have (considering Razor and Eve don't). On the fourth hand, using her does mean it isn't necessary to get to Caitlin, which removes a rather huge hurdle. And you can buy the portal thingy and skip the research bunker too, if you for some reason want to do that, So you could actually avoid the wasteland entirely.

I bought mastery books from her in my last B26 game, and since there are two Annas per map, I suddenly had all the masteries very quickly, which did feel a bit off (I'm going to try to not buy mastery books from her in my current game and see how that goes).

On 10/19/2023 at 8:49 PM, Tim2500 said:

Sorry Attempted to read past the end of the stream.

As mentioned earlier, i've only seen that in multiplayer when resetting the POI for a quest. I would need to know what the POI name is to see if it's vanilla or PEP.

14 hours ago, Similar said:

Something I've been wondering about for a bit:

In V4 I never used the DF quest NPCs as traders, but I'm watching GNS' current DF series and was reminded that you can. Razor and Eve don't have anything unusual that I've seen, but Anna has mastery books (and the portal thingy), and since mastery books have been hard to come by in V5 (maybe easier in B27? I got a mastery book in the second air drop in my current game) it is sort of tempting when you feel like you're not getting anywhere.

Is she meant to be used as a trader?

She doesn't have the usual trade menu option, but that could be due to some coding stuff, and she does have those special things, which she probably doesn't have to have (considering Razor and Eve don't). On the fourth hand, using her does mean it isn't necessary to get to Caitlin, which removes a rather huge hurdle. And you can buy the portal thingy and skip the research bunker too, if you for some reason want to do that, So you could actually avoid the wasteland entirely.

I bought mastery books from her in my last B26 game, and since there are two Annas per map, I suddenly had all the masteries very quickly, which did feel a bit off (I'm going to try to not buy mastery books from her in my current game and see how that goes).

Technically NONE of them are supposed to be tradeable, but I can't disable the radial menu option. I'm going to look at giving them actual trader inventories.

8 hours ago, Divey said:

Hello Khaine, do I just copy and paste the new files over the old files. 

Thanks

Delete the old folder and replace.

6 hours ago, wanderinpaladin said:

You know Khaine. You really want to freak us vet DF players, make the bee hive do the spider squeal in stead of the hornet buzz. I mean the Hornet buzzing is freaky enough, but if you put that squeal back in *shivers*.

...that's just evil

1 hour ago, KhaineGB said:

Technically NONE of them are supposed to be tradeable, but I can't disable the radial menu option. I'm going to look at giving them actual trader inventories.

Thanks. I kind of thought that was the case, and I'd prefer to play the way it's intended (fortunately, B27 does seem kinder with mastery books; 2 in two air drops so far, by day 22. With maxed Quality Joe and Wasteland Treasures).

So I don't know if this has been reported or not yet; I scanned through the last couple pages and did not see anything about it; but when I click on the book to read the description of an item in the crafting window the cells that normally display the required items to craft to not go away and just lay over the text from the description.

The image provided is from a fresh save just created on A21.1 (b16) with the Dev27 build of DF.  No other mods running, just thought I would drop a heads up; apologies if this is already a known issue.  Love the mod only way I play 7days anymore; thanks for all the hard work Khaine!

spacer.png

oh, I had a regular bear show up around day 10 by my pine forest base. First one I've seen in all my time in A21, so maybe that's a B27 thing?

I got all nostalgic...

I don't know if it's a vanilla thing, but I barely ever see anything else than rabbits and chicken (of the nonhostile critters. There are plenty of wolves, snakes, etc.). Deer is like one every 30 days, at most. My animal settings are all on default.