Alpha 16, Allow spotlights to be placed on a block vertically as well as horizontally

Chag

I wish I could put a spotlight on the side of my base vertically oriented down instead of horizontally. Because even though I can aim the spot light, placed horizontally much of the spotlights light is abstracted by the block its placed on. After all it is 'bolted' down now (according to the spotlight model) so I think it would be very useful to be able to 'bolt' it onto a block vertically and have it pointing down on an area. Just a thought, what does everyone think?

• 2 weeks later...

This. Also, the throw distance and spread could use some work. My flashlight has twice the distance the spotlight does. As it stands, they're next to useless.

Suggested fix action:

Widen the beam by 5-20% (Leaning toward 10%)

Extend the light range to match the flashlight at the bare minimum, 1.5x the flashlight preferred.

Wishful thinking:

Beam width and throw range of both flashlights and spotlights by quality of the item.

Useful points (I am a physicist, after all):

Light intensity is a function of intensity at the source and the surface area it covers (which is a function of radius from source squared). A wider beam means it's less bright for the same source wattage. More juice means brighter, provided the filament or whatever you're using as a light source can handle the juice.,.. might want to model that and give folks an option for a "narrow but far beam" and a "Wide but closer" beam.

Probably different power settings, too. If you're using headlights, a hi/lo beam setting might work, though... but to be honest that's sort of redundant unless you're going to have the hi beam be minibike "Holy crap, did someone light off a nuke?" bright... which is way too damn bright.

I wish I could put a spotlight on the side of my base vertically oriented down instead of horizontally. Because even though I can aim the spot light, placed horizontally much of the spotlights light is abstracted by the block its placed on. After all it is 'bolted' down now (according to the spotlight model) so I think it would be very useful to be able to 'bolt' it onto a block vertically and have it pointing down on an area. Just a thought, what does everyone think?

Agreed!

Camera preview is there. Hold down your use key (like you do for picking the various options on the minibike), pick the target icon and it shows up in the subsequent menu. Iffy UI design but *shrug*

As it stands, a wall mounted spotlight reaches ten-ish blocks out, regardless of beam width... if you're being rushed, like say a horde night, by the time you can easily see them, it's already too late, provided you're using only a spotlight. Light on the mining helmet or a gun flashlight goes easily twice or three times that far in terms of being able to make *something* out. Ten blocks isn't nearly far enough.

As it stands, the best base locations in terms of spotting zombies at long range generally have nothing but night sky behind the approaching zombies -- think hillsides after you've mowed the grass down -- so that way the zombie model stands out from the skybox or fog or whatever, even if you can't tell what sort of Z it is, you can tell something is there and can direct fire toward it.

Definately agree with 'mount on side'!

For now what I've been doing is using the 1/4 blocks to place spotlights on. But you still get two pretty big shadows from the spotlights own legs.

FWIW my base is 3 tall and 9 by 9, roofed with Iron Bars with a light tower in center that's an additional 5 blocks, so 8 off the ground. Point Spotlights so their 'center' is about 4 blocks out from walls. Provides pretty decent lighting; though I to would like spots to have more distance...

• 8 months later...

I would like to be able to turn the spotlights upside down so that they can be mounted under eaves with the feet on top looking likie they are bolted there and the wire coming from the top too so it doesn't hang down like some kind of lariat I'm afraid I'll hang myself with. They have options like this with other items like bookcases, pillcases, and shutters and such by holding down the ammo reload button. They should put them on lights too.

That would be another nice option, wire tie downs so that you can tie them to walls and such. I've been trying to do creative wiring so that the wires are hidden as much a possible inside the walls, but it's just not always possible.

Archived