Opinions On PCs Needed

JeanD

The 1060 isn't to play 7DTD, it's to play a wider range of games, because once you go PC, you'll never look at a console the same.

Plus, a decent video card will offload some of the CPU's work rendering and calculating physics.

This as well, and there's a lot of stuff on PC, way more than console I'd hazard, and we have almost everything the consoles do excluding console exclusive and one or two triple A titles that are dumb enough / paid off not to release on the platform they develop with.

PC is well worth the investment, at least if you're discerning and know what you're doing (so you don't get ripped off, or waste money).

That's mostly opinion, I suppose, but this game and The Elder Scrolls Anthology are what pulled me over here; it's pretty sweet being able to play games you can't play on console, and even though my PC wan't that great back then (as I hadn't upgraded it, so I was still running a GTS 450), I was blown away by how good Skyrim looked and how well it ran compared to PS 3.

Couldn't agree more.

And lazerblade01, Ryzen isn't Skylake... step away from the dark side. I know the cookies are good, but it isn't worth it. :p

Ryzen is a bit pricier than a mid-range Skylake. Let her(?) get her feet wet first, then turn her into an enthusiast.

But isn't Threadripper going to be massive core count, and intended for an enthusiast / professional market?

AMD Ryzen and Intel i7 may be dead for you, but I don't have the cash or need for a Threadripper or i9. Ryzen and the rest of Intel's Core series still fill in their niche.

That's kind of like saying GeForce should be dead because of Quadro. Or that only Titan's should be on the market.

First part was sarcasm. Second part is that we now have ourselves a nice little 'arms race' like we did back athlon days.

Price drops, and massive perf boosts are coming all round. gen 8 intels are coming which are 30% faster than gen 7's.

i9's were the "look we beat you" reply, then threadripper was the reply of we're cheaper and fully laned under 1K.

Intel responded with gen 8's are 30% faster. (<i7).

You can, as of the last few days (friday last week?) pick up prebuilt i7/16GB/SSD/1080's for $1400US.

That was near 2K not long ago.

Ryzen is a bit pricier than a mid-range Skylake. Let her(?) get her feet wet first, then turn her into an enthusiast.

That's kind of debatable. Ryzen really isn't that expensive, especially considering the amount of cores and hyperthreading. An R5 1600x goes for $250 USD and runs at 3.6 GHz, with 4.0 GHz boost clock. If you need to save money an R5 1600 is $220 USD and comes with a cooler, but it's a bit slower (I think it's 3.2 GHz with a 3.6 GHz boos iirc).

I'm not sure if I'd call AMD "enthusiast" either, unless you're thinking Threadripper, which isn't out yet.

It is important to bear in mind Intel still does achieve faster clocks and better per core performance, so they're still worth looking at.

First part was sarcasm. Second part is that we now have ourselves a nice little 'arms race' like we did back athlon days.

Price drops, and massive perf boosts are coming all round. gen 8 intels are coming which are 30% faster than gen 7's.

i9's were the "look we beat you" reply, then threadripper was the reply of we're cheaper and fully laned under 1K.

Intel responded with gen 8's are 30% faster. (<i7).

You can, as of the last few days (friday last week?) pick up prebuilt i7/16GB/SSD/1080's for $1400US.

That was near 2K not long ago.

I see. Market competition is a great thing and something the CPU market needs. It's great to see them actually advance.

I heard Intel dropped their prices a bit when Ryzen launched, and AMD recently dropped the prices of the R7s; this is also great, as Intel was getting out of hand with their pricing.

I see. Market competition is a great thing and something the CPU market needs. It's great to see them actually advance.

I heard Intel dropped their prices a bit when Ryzen launched, and AMD recently dropped the prices of the R7s; this is also great, as Intel was getting out of hand with their pricing.

eh, when you command such a performance lead you can do whatever you want. Nvidia will continue to do so, I wouldnt be surprised if they drop a volta titan at 2K.

Must also keep in mind that Intel and NV's R&D spending dwarfs AMD's. Given how much intel spends (and most of that will be IoT and other computing) AMD is doing quite well all things considered how stacked against them everything is.

e1hM0JT.jpg

Ryzen is dead now. Threadripper is twice the perf of ryzen with 64 PCI-e lanes. Upcoming Intel HEDT will start at 1K with only 44 PCI-e lanes.

Threadripper isn't intended for gaming, especially since, as we all already know, most games still only use 2 cores, so 16/32 cores is pointless for gaming. Even my 6/12 core (1600x) is pointless for gaming as it just sits there idling with ALL games (including the ones that do use more than 2 cores, cuz I cap it at 60 fps).

Also, from my understanding, the quantity of pci-e lanes is meaningless to most gamers. As long as it has enough lanes to run the latest graphics card (aka 16 lanes), it's perfect. 2x SLI configuration only requires 24 lanes (or 32 lanes if greedy). Anything beyond that is pointless. And I never suggest ppl to get SLI anyways cuz it's never worth the hassle of lack of gaming support. Having to disable SLI to play a certain game, then re-enable it for another game, and then report issues that occur relating to SLI so it can hopefully stop happening... it's never worth it.

And did you watch Linus's video on how Intel's desperate attempt makes no sense at all and is being rushed so hard that it won't even have proper support for anything? I couldn't stop laughing.

I was just going to recommend the 4/8 core 1500x which runs almost as well as my 1600x with games (maybe 1 - 5 fps difference). That then allows much more budget to go to the graphics card which is where the budget matters most anyways.

Threadripper isn't intended for gaming, especially since, as we all already know, most games still only use 2 cores, so 16/32 cores is pointless for gaming. Even my 6/12 core (1600x) is pointless for gaming as it just sits there idling with ALL games (including the ones that do use more than 2 cores, cuz I cap it at 60 fps).

And did you watch Linus's video on how Intel's desperate attempt makes no sense at all and is being rushed so hard that it won't even have proper support for anything? I couldn't stop laughing.

I was just going to recommend the 4/8 core 1500x which runs almost as well as my 1600x with games (maybe 1 - 5 fps difference). That then allows much more budget to go to the graphics card which is where the budget matters most anyways.

Yet.

Processing power is plenty now. Scaling is becoming more trivial.

Focus is shifting to I/O, hence their point about PCI-e lanes.

Win10 1607 has native pmem drivers.

https://www.theregister.co.uk/2016/10/28/windows_server_2016_persistent_memory_support_supercharges_storage_io/

edit: Optane DDR4 due in 2018

It's all good :) , I stand by my reply as it wasnt to do with gpu's anyway.

The path to instant pc/zero loading games is forming.

It wont be locked to intel as micron is a partner and releasing their own anyway. (QuantX)

Its all future stuff, some of it has real use right now and more shortly. Just like ssd's did for machines getting a boost, 3D Xpoint will do the same and chipsets already support those features now. Which is why I mentioned the optane ready prebuilt earlier.

if you want to see where progress is, where dev is up to, this is a good site: http://pmem.io/

I love how pc allows everyone to play at a level they deem playable. If you like playing games on a potato, more power to you.

When some writes they are looking for an average pc due to income restraint, but still want to play 7d2d, my comment was meant to be more helpful than an insult to people who know their pcs, sorry if you felt i was attacking you.

7d2d isnt very demanding, most unity games arent. To be honest any dedicated graphics card is more than capable of running 7d2d.

Its up to OP to decide what quality he wants.

My kid play ARK on a gt970 laptop, sure he had to reduce his settings to medium but he doesnt care whether he can see every blade of grass, and ark is so much much more demanding than 7d2d.

I was in the same boat as op, sure i could have spent $4000 on some beast, but i have family, and i have priorities, until i built my own pc, i played 7d2d on a potato laptop just fine.

Optane doesn't really impress me all that much to be honest. I don't think it's going to matter that much for gaming, just like SSDs barely make any difference for most games.

- - - Updated - - -

ark is so much much more demanding than 7d2d.

lmao, that's funny. I haven't touched Ark since the week I bought it over a year or two ago, so I can't confirm if that's even remotely true or not... but if it is, that's funny as hell. Ark being a 2D texture rendered game and 7D2D being a 3d texture voxel game.

Im impatient. SSD's make a huge diff :p

For what games though? Cuz I'm currently playing GTA V which is 68GB and it's just on a regular platter drive and still loads quickly for me (a few seconds to load the save file). Payday 2 is 38GB in size and that too takes no time at all to load a heist.

I know 7d2d definitely benefits from ssd performance for initial loading, but what else is there? I personally can't think of any that make a big difference in loading. I'm not saying they're not out there, but damn... talk about far and few between.

- - - Updated - - -

lmao, that's funny. I haven't touched Ark since the week I bought it over a year or two ago, so I can't confirm if that's even remotely true or not... but if it is, that's funny as hell. Ark being a 2D texture rendered game and 7D2D being a 3d texture voxel game.

As much as i prefer 7d2d over Ark, unfortunately 7d2d isnt well known for its visuals

For what games though? Cuz I'm currently playing GTA V which is 68GB and it's just on a regular platter drive and still loads quickly for me (a few seconds to load the save file). Payday 2 is 38GB in size and that too takes no time at all to load a heist.

I know 7d2d definitely benefits from ssd performance for initial loading, but what else is there? I personally can't think of any that make a big difference in loading. I'm not saying they're not out there, but damn... talk about far and few between.

A fair chunk of them. Witcher 3, Fallout 4, Just Cause 3, Battlefield, etc

Its not just loading either, its asset streaming among other I/O tasks.

Even just removing I/O bottlenecks fixed fallout 4's stuttering on the xbox.

Start adding it all up and persistent memory keeps gaining advantages, even for gaming.

I'm a "she" btw...LOL not offended, just thought it was funny and thought I would mention it. Honestly, I think anything would run better than what I currently have. My brother-in-law gave me his computer. There really isn't much on it, bare in mind. I played World of Warcraft on my old PC, but it crapped out on me. However, I don't really game on this computer because I have an Xbox One, so I do most of my gaming on that. It's just easier to play with my wife, yes wife LOL, on Xbox as we only have this computer, but I've been wanting try 7D2D on PC, (and a few other games) and I recently had an opportunity to play it on my PC. I was literally running 6 fps. I was sad. LOL So now it's time to upgrade.

This is what I know about this computer:

Gateway

Intel Core i3 cpu 550 @ 3.20GHz

4.00 GB

64-bit operating system, x64-based processor

Windows 8.1 Pro

It's a touch screen all in one (monitor and tower is one) but I don't use the touch screen function.

The fan blows like a turbo engine sometimes LOL.

As much as i prefer 7d2d over Ark, unfortunately 7d2d isnt well known for its visuals

It should be though. What other voxel game looks as good as this?

A fair chunk of them. Witcher 3, Fallout 4, Just Cause 3, Battlefield, etc

Its not just loading either, its asset streaming among other I/O tasks.

Even just removing I/O bottlenecks fixed fallout 4's stuttering on the xbox.

Start adding it all up and persistent memory keeps gaining advantages, even for gaming.

The only one I played a while back was Fallout 4, don't remember how much better it ran with SSD, but I assume you're right about that one cuz it definitely looks like it would be, at least for initial stuff. Don't know anything about the other games though, but I'll take your word for it as I have no intentions on playing them. Also, I don't stream, and neither do most other gamers out there, so there's that too. So in the end, I guess it just depends on what ppl need vs budget.

I'm a "she" btw...LOL not offended, just thought it was funny and thought I would mention it. Honestly, I think anything would run better than what I currently have. My brother-in-law gave me his computer. There really isn't much on it, bare in mind. I played World of Warcraft on my old PC, but it crapped out on me. However, I don't really game on this computer because I have an Xbox One, so I do most of my gaming on that. It's just easier to play with my wife, yes wife LOL, on Xbox as we only have this computer, but I've been wanting try 7D2D on PC, (and a few other games) and I recently had an opportunity to play it on my PC. I was literally running 6 fps. I was sad. LOL So now it's time to upgrade.

This is what I know about this computer:

Gateway

Intel Core i3 cpu 550 @ 3.20GHz

4.00 GB

64-bit operating system, x64-based processor

Windows 8.1 Pro

It's a touch screen all in one (monitor and tower is one) but I don't use the touch screen function.

The fan blows like a turbo engine sometimes LOL.

If it weren't for the fact that it's an all-in-one computer, you might of had something to work with in terms of improving it for gaming. Still, it's probably still worth a few bucks if you're looking to get rid of it. All it needs to be back to a good general use (no gaming) computer is add more ram to it (if it has the room / support for it), 8GB of ram in a system like that and it's good to go for a few more years. I imagine having only 4GB of ram with Windows 8.1 is seriously bogging it down and giving you issues with web browsing and stuff.

Also... I'm gonna needs pics as evidence that you're a "she" and have a wife or it ain't true. This is the internet after all, ppl lie all the time. lol jk ;)

Archived