Terrain Modifiers from A=J・Z

Alphado-Jaki

On next update, I'll add a how-to-edit document for "River + Various Plains".

However, I won't do additional edit to rwgmixer itself.

So, don't worry for world compatibility.

The best thng to do to help people understand is add explanatory comments in the mixer file. That way people don;t have to hunt down a forum post or video when actually customizing your version.

I just generated a world and drove around it on a minibike.... is there a value to change to smooth things out a little? I ran into a lot of steep banks that could not be driven up on a minibike, or climbed.

It did look more natural, but all those steep cliffs don't lend themselves to travel very much.

I just generated a world and drove around it on a minibike.... is there a value to change to smooth things out a little? I ran into a lot of steep banks that could not be driven up on a minibike, or climbed.

It did look more natural, but all those steep cliffs don't lend themselves to travel very much.

This is actually the only thing that I find a little challenging. But remember in this mod there is areas that is rough and other areas that is more flat and have less mountains. So many places is great for minbike, others not so great.

But if you want to make the land more smooth there is a "roughness" setting but Im not sure where. If I should guess I would guess this settings is related, but Im not sure.

<module name="landRough" type="FastBillow">

<property name="frequency" value="0.5"/>

<property name="roughness" value="6"/>

<property name="persistence" value="0.67"/>

</module>

<module name="landRoughScaled" type="ScaleBiasOutput">

<property name="sourceModule" value="landRough"/>

<property name="scale" value="0.16"/>

<property name="bias" value="0.28"/>

</module>

Thanks for feedback Gareee. :)

Yes, on the preset generation, mountainous area won't allow minibikes to climb or run through, and force to detour or to run in valley.

But of course, there is settings for you.

(see line 634)

<module name="continentMixed" type="Select">
			<property name="controlModule" value="continentController"/>
			<property name="sourceModule1" value="landMixed"/>
			<property name="sourceModule2" value="mountainFascioned"/>
			<property name="bounds" [color="#FF8C00"]value="1.45[/color],100"/><!--	This affects the cliff of mountain. If you wanna make them more edgy, edit *LEFT* number into *SMALLER* one such as 1.35 or 1.25. 
															*NOTE* More edgy mountain has the side effect, which make plains is less mixed with mountains / hills.-->

<property name="edgeFalloff" value="2.45"/><!--	This affects the smoothness of difference between mountain & plains. Larger number will make them more mixed. -->
		</module>

Edit this left side bound into higher number, such as 1.5 or 1.55.

This will mitigate cliff.

This is actually the only thing that I find a little challenging. But remember in this mod there is areas that is rough and other areas that is more flat and have less mountains. So many places is great for minbike, others not so great.

But if you want to make the land more smooth there is a "roughness" setting but Im not sure where. If I should guess I would guess this settings is related, but Im not sure.

Yep, this is my preference not to climb with minibike.

What you mentioned is the setting for wavy plains.

<module name="landRough" type="FastBillow">
<property name="frequency" value="0.5"/>
<property name="roughness" value="6"/>
<property name="persistence" [color="#FF8C00"]value="0.67"[/color]/><!--	Edit this smaller will generate less wavy area-->
</module>

UPDATE

Now, latest version is v1.16.1a.

I've made all comments to customize world mixer.

I haven't changed any actual codes from v1.16.1, so old save data is compatible.

If you have edited codes, be careful.

Replacing file results to spoil your existing edit.

UPDATE

Now, latest version is v1.16.1a.

I've made all comments to customize world mixer.

I haven't changed any actual codes from v1.16.1, so old save data is compatible.

If you have edited codes, be careful.

Replacing file results to spoil your existing edit.

Nice work, I follow your mod for development. This is the only rwgmixer I will use from now. Still some tweaks to be done to make it perfect to my preferences, but it is very close, very close.

Keep up the great work.

have fun :)

Nice work, I follow your mod for development. This is the only rwgmixer I will use from now. Still some tweaks to be done to make it perfect to my preferences, but it is very close, very close.

Keep up the great work.

have fun :)

Thanks as usual.:) I'm glad to hear you like my rwgmixer.

Recently, RL preventing me from modding, so I can't make change with them for 1-2 weeks. :/

If you want more brilliant generation, biome tweaks are very nice one for next touch. (biomes.xml)

I have little information for biomes.xml and Tin's biome fix is the only one that is up to date.

But there were many more in A15, such as CLASSIC Style HARDCORE, GNAMOD. Both of three are much awesome.

Watching their works and Reading codes may be helpful to your heart's content. :D

I tested the Vanilla A15-ish rwgmixer and it have something I miss, it have more "plateaus" up in the hills and mountains so it it is easier to build bases higher up. But something is wrong with the top of the mountains, its just flat areas with no vegetation. Would love to use this file but the mountaintops is too weird. Is it possible to do something to remove the flat tops?

• 7 months later...

New terrain modifier Vivid is released

New terrain modifier Vivid is focused on balancing scenic view and large city.

This one is less variated than River+Various Plain, though much larger city can be generated.

Also, I reworked mountain generation. enjoy.

Another announcement is 7d2d mod launcher support.

Currently, unofficially supporting it though,

For 7D2D Mod launcher user, copy following URL.

Then, File > Open URL and paste URL at the launcher

https://raw.githubusercontent.com/AlphadoJaki/7D2D_SphereII_Config/master/Terrain_Modifiers.xml

This will help much easier install.

I tested the Vanilla A15-ish rwgmixer and it have something I miss, it have more "plateaus" up in the hills and mountains so it it is easier to build bases higher up. But something is wrong with the top of the mountains, its just flat areas with no vegetation. Would love to use this file but the mountaintops is too weird. Is it possible to do something to remove the flat tops?

Oh, I have no idea why I missed your post.

For those who have same issue, Edit output as shown following.

<output module="[b][i]scaleBiasOutput[/i][/b]"/>

• 3 weeks later...

New terrain modifier Biome Based is released

New terrain modifier Vivid is focused on biome specific geometric features.

This is Work in Progress. So there are some problem, but playable.

Following completely new geometric features are added for this TM.

Butte

I0TTc56t.png

Mesa

Djky6f1t.png

Wavy Land

n0NvlDot.png

Bomb Crater

ug2xTA6t.png

Also, I reworked river for this generator.

VMLDVKCt.png

I hope you all enjoy :)

New terrain modifier Vivid is focused on biome specific geometric features.

This is Work in Progress. So there are some problem, but playable.

Following completely new geometric features are added for this TM.

Butte

I0TTc56t.png

Mesa

Djky6f1t.png

Wavy Land

n0NvlDot.png

Bomb Crater

ug2xTA6t.png

Also, I reworked river for this generator.

VMLDVKCt.png

I hope you all enjoy :)

I think i missed something....

What editor did You use to create these landscapes ?

It takes me almost a whole year to build up this modifier, "Biome Based". :)

This have about 100 module for terrain_generator.

Actually, I made most of features such as mesa several months ago, but only I hadn't discovered how to reflect biome distribution into terrain gen at that time. (For me, mesa spawned in other than desert is much weird, and wanna avoid it.)

I never think this as PERFECT, but I'm feeling this has enough quality to distribute.

Reason why I don't think perfect :

r7dZ2S1l.jpg

Biome transition is not perfect for now. Sometimes this generates cliff at biome edge.

gHyVeKTl.png

City generation is prevented by too various features.

Interesting, you actually get biome specific terrain you say, is this by just modifying the RWG mixer xml or are you using prefabs for this?

(also thanks for mentioning my mod :D)

I like the rivers, I would love to see how you pulled that off.

Interesting, you actually get biome specific terrain you say, is this by just modifying the RWG mixer xml or are you using prefabs for this?

Yes, completely rwgmixer.xml only driven. You can see whole code at following.

https://github.com/AlphadoJaki/TMs-Biome_Based

I like the rivers, I would love to see how you pulled that off.

Thanks for saying so. :) My first motivation to start terrain modify is that I want nice river.

This is the code for river. Change landSmoothOut with your continent. (NOTE: I scale generator output 100 times at last)

<!--**********************************************************
				River + Riverside generator
										2 seed_additive
	Descend landSmooth elevation by 2 stage Select
**********************************************************-->
		<module name="riverBase" type="Constant">
			<property name="constant" value="-0.15"/>
		</module>
		<module name="riverSideBase" type="Constant">
			<property name="constant" value="0.01"/>
		</module>

<module name="riverCtrlBase" type="FastNoise" seed_additive="30">
			<property name="frequency" value="0.2"/><!--	This affects the count of rivers. If you wanna make them more, edit into larger number, such as 0.29 or 0.32.-->
			<property name="octaveCount" value="3"/>
		</module>
		<module name="riverCtrl" type="AbsoluteOutput">
			<property name="sourceModule" value="riverCtrlBase"/>
		</module>
		<module name="riverSideCtrlBase" type="ScaleInput">
			<property name="sourceModule" value="riverCtrl"/>
			<property name="y" value="0"/>
		</module>
		<module name="riverSideCtrl" type="FastTurbulence" seed_additive="31">
			<property name="sourceModule" value="riverSideCtrlBase"/>
			<property name="frequency" value="50"/>
			<property name="power" value="0.01"/>
			<property name="roughness" value="2"/>
		</module>

<module name="worldRiverSide" type="Select">
			<property name="controlModule" value="riverSideCtrl"/>
			<property name="sourceModule1" value="landSmoothOut"/>
			<property name="sourceModule2" value="riverSideBase"/>
			<property name="bounds" value="-100,0.094"/>
			<property name="edgeFalloff" value="0.05"/>
		</module>
		<module name="worldRiver" type="Select">
			<property name="controlModule" value="riverCtrl"/>
			<property name="sourceModule1" value="worldRiverSide"/>
			<property name="sourceModule2" value="riverBase"/>
			<property name="bounds" value="-100,0"/><!--	This affects the width of rivers. If you wanna make them wider, edit into larger number, such as 0.04 or 0.08.-->
			<property name="edgeFalloff" value="0.04"/><!--	This affects the smoothness of difference between land & river. Larger number will make them more smoothier change. -->
		</module>

Yes, completely rwgmixer.xml only driven. You can see whole code at following.

https://github.com/AlphadoJaki/TMs-Biome_Based

Thanks for saying so. :) My first motivation to start terrain modify is that I want nice river.

This is the code for river. Change landSmoothOut with your continent. (NOTE: I scale generator output 100 times at last)

River + Riverside generator
										2 seed_additive
	Descend landSmooth elevation by 2 stage Select
		<module name="riverBase" type="Constant">
			<property name="constant" value="-0.15"/>
		</module>
		<module name="riverSideBase" type="Constant">
			<property name="constant" value="0.01"/>
		</module>

<module name="riverCtrlBase" type="FastNoise" seed_additive="30">
			<property name="frequency" value="0.2"/><!--	This affects the count of rivers. If you wanna make them more, edit into larger number, such as 0.29 or 0.32.-->
			<property name="octaveCount" value="3"/>
		</module>
		<module name="riverCtrl" type="AbsoluteOutput">
			<property name="sourceModule" value="riverCtrlBase"/>
		</module>
		<module name="riverSideCtrlBase" type="ScaleInput">
			<property name="sourceModule" value="riverCtrl"/>
		</module>
		<module name="riverSideCtrl" type="FastTurbulence" seed_additive="31">
			<property name="sourceModule" value="riverSideCtrlBase"/>
			<property name="frequency" value="50"/>
			<property name="power" value="0.01"/>
			<property name="roughness" value="2"/>
		</module>

<module name="worldRiverSide" type="Select">
			<property name="controlModule" value="riverSideCtrl"/>
			<property name="sourceModule1" value="landSmoothOut"/>
			<property name="sourceModule2" value="riverSideBase"/>
			<property name="bounds" value="-100,0.094"/>
			<property name="edgeFalloff" value="0.05"/>
		</module>
		<module name="worldRiver" type="Select">
			<property name="controlModule" value="riverCtrl"/>
			<property name="sourceModule1" value="worldRiverSide"/>
			<property name="sourceModule2" value="riverBase"/>
			<property name="bounds" value="-100,0"/><!--	This affects the width of rivers. If you wanna make them wider, edit into larger number, such as 0.04 or 0.08.-->
			<property name="edgeFalloff" value="0.04"/><!--	This affects the smoothness of difference between land & river. Larger number will make them more smoothier change. -->
		</module>

Yeah I guess this all works together, as I also learned that all rules affect the end result and you need to constantly tinker them to get them perfectly. Change something to improve one aspect and another will be gone or look odd. I doubt this rule could be added into the ones I made for Gnamod without me needing to tinker them a lot to actually accept it.

You are using a lot of rules I do not recognize, I guess you found those options in the code somewhere, as I did not see them getting used in vanilla. I still do not see how you made the terrain connect to the biome (I see the xml code blocks, but dont understand yet how the work). This would be very interesting to learn since having each biome have unique terrain will make the world more interesting, I would for example like my wasteland biomes to be really flat and I agree that Mesas mostly look good in the desert biome.

But I also paint biomes on my world based on height (terrain generator), in addition to the biome generator. My work is still mostly trial and error, I went from using a lot of terrain rules in A15 to using only a few in A16 to get the world as I liked it most. I too have issues with the roads making cliffs and POIs/cities messing up terrain, and these breaks in terrain where two Cells seem to crash into each-other.

I briefly documented all options I use in the following guide.

https://7daystodie.com/forums/showthread.php?81752-Terrain-Generation-Overhaul-Guidebook

The secret of feedback biome into terrain is seed_additive and ScaleInput.

First, start with seed_additive. Module with same seed_additive, type and property always outputs completely same thing. Its name change nothing. So, if you copy paste biome_generator modules into terrain_generator, you get same output with biome_generator.

Excepting it is stretched 512 times to X/Z axis, compared with the one in biome_generator.

Second, ScaleInput, this shrink/stretch sourceModule to X/Y/Z axis. Y is not elevation. We need to stretch biome_generator 512 times to fit with terrain_generator, so I use following module. (biomeCtrl in "Biome Based")

<module name="biome2terrain" type="ScaleInput">
			<property name="sourceModule" value="biomeOutput"/>
			<property name="x" value="512"/>
			<property name="z" value="512"/>
		</module>

biomeOutput is final output of biome_generator.

Finally, we get biome_generator value from biome2terra. I use this for controlModule of Select to mix up terrain for each biome into 1 terrain. (Biome Modifier and World Modifier block)

I will have to study and experiment with this sometime, probably after A17 drops I am afraid though (hopefully this all still works by then).

Thanks for linking the guide, that will be helpful to, seems you put a lot of work into figuring this all out, good work!

I probably would have to go through the same process you have for making this per biome terrain, my current version covers terrain for the whole world, which would then probably only spawn to certain biomes. My Biome spawn rules are completely different than the vanilla ones (not sure how much you changed but seem to be similar), I also use a few more biomes in the mix that would all have to get this. Though I am sure you could use this to for example only change the terrain of the desert, or would that make the desert terrain not fit into the rest of the world if it was generated in a different manner?

This is how mine currently works for Gnamod Base, which relies a lot on painting the biomes over the terrain of the world (as it processes all this in order it is listed and thus some is completely overwritten or stacked on another biome).

<biome_spawn_rules>
<biome_spawn_rule name="forest">          <biome_generator range="0.00,0.001"/>         </biome_spawn_rule>
<biome_spawn_rule name="forest">          <biome_generator range="0.999,1.00"/>         </biome_spawn_rule>

<biome_spawn_rule name="plains">          <terrain_generator range="-60,5"/>            </biome_spawn_rule>
<biome_spawn_rule name="plains">          <terrain_generator range="5,255"/>            </biome_spawn_rule>

<biome_spawn_rule name="radiated">        <biome_generator range="0.30,0.40"/>          </biome_spawn_rule>
<biome_spawn_rule name="city_wasteland">  <biome_generator range="0.55,0.70"/>          </biome_spawn_rule>
<biome_spawn_rule name="city_wasteland">  <biome_generator range="0.95,0.999"/>         </biome_spawn_rule>

<biome_spawn_rule name="plains">          <terrain_generator range="30,255"/>           </biome_spawn_rule>
<biome_spawn_rule name="forest">          <terrain_generator range="40,255"/>           </biome_spawn_rule>
<biome_spawn_rule name="pine_forest">     <terrain_generator range="80,255"/>           </biome_spawn_rule>

<biome_spawn_rule name="burnt_forest">    <biome_generator range="0.001,0.05"/>         </biome_spawn_rule>
<biome_spawn_rule name="wasteland">       <biome_generator range="0.05,0.20"/>          </biome_spawn_rule>
<biome_spawn_rule name="wasteland_hub">   <biome_generator range="0.20,0.30"/>          </biome_spawn_rule>
<biome_spawn_rule name="wasteland">       <biome_generator range="0.40,0.50"/>          </biome_spawn_rule>
<biome_spawn_rule name="burnt_forest">    <biome_generator range="0.70,0.80"/>          </biome_spawn_rule>

<biome_spawn_rule name="snow">            <terrain_generator range="105,255"/>          </biome_spawn_rule>
<biome_spawn_rule name="city">            <terrain_generator range="145,255"/>          </biome_spawn_rule>
<biome_spawn_rule name="water">           <terrain_generator range="-60,5"/>            </biome_spawn_rule>

<biome_spawn_rule name="desert">          <biome_generator range="0.50,0.55"/>          </biome_spawn_rule>
<biome_spawn_rule name="desert">          <biome_generator range="0.80,0.95"/>          </biome_spawn_rule>

<biome_spawn_rule name="city_wasteland">  <distance_from_center range="0,900"/>        </biome_spawn_rule>
<biome_spawn_rule name="wasteland">       <distance_from_center range="9500,10500"/>    </biome_spawn_rule>
<biome_spawn_rule name="wasteland_hub">   <distance_from_center range="10500,11500"/>   </biome_spawn_rule>
<biome_spawn_rule name="radiated">        <distance_from_center range="11500,12000"/>   </biome_spawn_rule>

<biome_spawn_rule name="water">           <terrain_generator range="-60,-5"/>           </biome_spawn_rule>
</biome_spawn_rules>

I will have to study and experiment with this sometime, probably after A17 drops I am afraid though (hopefully this all still works by then).

I hope it also. XD

Thanks for linking the guide, that will be helpful to, seems you put a lot of work into figuring this all out, good work!

Thanks. :) I'm glad my guide helps you.

*Snip* Though I am sure you could use this to for example only change the terrain of the desert, or would that make the desert terrain not fit into the rest of the world if it was generated in a different manner?

Yeah, I can. Following code generates desert at -18, and others at -28.

<module name="constant0" type="Constant"/><!--  0 -->
		<module name="constantMinus1" type="Constant"><!-- -1 -->
			<property name="constant" value="-1"/>
		</module>
		<module name="desertOutput" type="Constant"><!-- 10 -->
			<property name="constant" value="10"/>
		</module>

Distance Module (Terrain)
										0 seed_additive
	distanceOut outputs distance from center upto 20,000.
	Undefined behavier, if you get out of 20,000
		or if you use ScaleInput for distanceOut
		<module name="distanceBaseBase" type="Cylinders">
			<property name="frequency" value="256"/>
		</module><!--Elev 1@center / Elev -1@radius1-->
		<module name="distanceBase" type="ScaleInput">
			<property name="sourceModule" value="distanceBaseBase"/>
			<property name="x" value="0.00005"/>
			<property name="z" value="0.00005"/>
		</module><!--Elev 1@center / Elev -1@radius20,000-->
		<module name="distanceOut" type="ScaleBiasOutput">
			<property name="sourceModule" value="distanceBase"/>
			<property name="scale" value="-10000"/>
			<property name="bias" value="10000"/>

Translate biome_generator into terrain_generator
<!--Paste from here-->
<module name="BaseNoise"                  type="Voronoi">
<property name="frequency"                value="0.00085"/>
<property name="displacement"             value="1.25"/>
</module>
<module name="BaseNoiseMod"               type="BiasOutput">
<property name="sourceModule"             value="BaseNoise"/>
<property name="bias"                     value="0.55"/>
</module>
<module name="BiomeDither"                type="FastTurbulence">
<property name="sourceModule"             value="BaseNoiseMod"/>
<property name="frequency"                value="0.25"/>
<property name="power"                    value="8"/>
<property name="roughness"                value="5"/>
</module>
<module name="BiomeJiggle"                type="FastTurbulence">
<property name="sourceModule"             value="BiomeDither"/>
<property name="frequency"                value="0.0015"/>
<property name="power"                    value="400"/>
<property name="roughness"                value="1"/>
</module>
<module name="BiomeBuilding"              type="ClampOutput">
<property name="sourceModule"             value="BiomeJiggle"/>
<property name="bounds"                   value="0,1"/>
</module>
<!--Paste to here-->
		<module name="biomeCtrlBase" type="ScaleInput">
			<property name="sourceModule" value="BiomeBuilding"/>
			<property name="x" value="512"/>
			<property name="z" value="512"/>
		</module>

<module name="biomeCtrl" type="Select">
			<property name="controlModule" value="distanceOut"/>
			<property name="sourceModule1" value="constantMinus1"/>
			<property name="sourceModule2" value="biomeCtrlBase"/>
			<property name="bounds" value="900,9500"/>
		</module><!--Exclude 0,900 and 9500,20000-->

<module name="desertTerrainA" type="Select">
			<property name="controlModule" value="biomeCtrl"/>
			<property name="sourceModule1" value="constant0"/>
			<property name="sourceModule2" value="desertOutput"/>
			<property name="bounds" value="0.50,0.55"/>
		</module>
		<module name="desertTerrainB" type="Select">
			<property name="controlModule" value="biomeCtrl"/>
			<property name="sourceModule1" value="desertTerrainA"/>
			<property name="sourceModule2" value="desertOutput"/>
			<property name="bounds" value="0.80,0.95"/>
		</module>

Am I correct to assume that you basically mimic the biome generator with the terrain generator, so that you actually make the correct terrain appear where you know those biomes will be appearing?

That is as long as you know how the biomes are going to be appearing on your map you let the terrain you want these biomes to have appear on that same spot of the map? Which would mean that there is no actual link between the two and if you would change your biome generator without also changing your terrain generator the two would go out of sync so to speak?

I see you made that desert rule to fit Gnamod, just not sure where I would put it and what it does, maybe soon I have more time to actually experiment with this and then maybe I can figure out your magic :)

Edit: This actually got me thinking, it seems you are excluding the center biome as well and the ring around the world I added. This would imply that the inverse is possible to, make only the ring in the center become a relatively flat biome at around -20 with maybe a few craters. How would I do that, for example in an completely vanilla version of the mixer, what rules would I need to add to make this work, then I can probably work out what you are doing and maybe even how, as this still dazzles me a bit. But you intrigued me, as this opens many possibilities I previously thought would not be possible.

Am I correct to assume that you basically mimic the biome generator with the terrain generator, so that you actually make the correct terrain appear where you know those biomes will be appearing? That is as long as you know how the biomes are going to be appearing on your map you let the terrain you want these biomes to have appear on that same spot of the map?

Yes, you are right. What I did in this mod is to include biome generator in terrain generator (by copy & paste), so that I can assign "desert terrain to where desert biome appear".

Which would mean that there is no actual link between the two and if you would change your biome generator without also changing your terrain generator the two would go out of sync so to speak?

I need to ensure two of biome generater as same, otherwise this method will be broken.

I see you made that desert rule to fit Gnamod, just not sure where I would put it and what it does, maybe soon I have more time to actually experiment with this and then maybe I can figure out your magic :)

Ah, I forgot to ensure how to use that. It was so ambiguous. Just use it as 1 independent terrain_generator like....

<terrain_generator name="desert" use_old_final="false">
		<module name="constant0" type="Constant"/><!--  0 -->
		<module name="constantMinus1" type="Constant"><!-- -1 -->
			<property name="constant" value="-1"/>
		</module>
		<module name="desertOutput" type="Constant"><!-- 10 -->
			<property name="constant" value="10"/>
		</module>

Distance Module (Terrain)
										0 seed_additive
	distanceOut outputs distance from center upto 20,000.
	Undefined behavier, if you get out of 20,000
		or if you use ScaleInput for distanceOut
		<module name="distanceBaseBase" type="Cylinders">
			<property name="frequency" value="256"/>
		</module><!--Elev 1@center / Elev -1@radius1-->
		<module name="distanceBase" type="ScaleInput">
			<property name="sourceModule" value="distanceBaseBase"/>
			<property name="x" value="0.00005"/>
			<property name="z" value="0.00005"/>