[MOD] A15 Better Balance Mod - Spikes, guns, mining, building etc. improvements

SurvivalUK

New version uploaded.

v1.5 - A15 B94 compatible, flaming arrows recipe reworked (gas vs gunpowder, no workbench required), Quality Joe up to level 5 / 150 points, gun powder available in backpack + chemstation + workbench, blunderbuss ammo recipe retained (scrap iron, gunpowder, paper), torch recipe retained (coal + wood), more wood spike balancing again

OP updated, v1.6 released :)

v1.6 - Machete - new recipe within the workstation (12 forged iron, 10 wood), bottled water stack increased to 500, 10 point reward for completing 'basic survival' tutorial, added cooling effect to bottled water (to counter A15 high temp issues)

Just wanted to say thanks for all the hard work on this mod! I play SP almost always with rare times when wife will join. I'm mostly a builder and explorer with over 1500 hrs played and the massive grindy changes to A15 almost ran me out of the game for good! This mod brings back an enjoyable pace to the game, without feeling like you gotta stop and grind, before you can get back in the action! It also doesn't just add tons of crazy extra stuff...just a very nice balanced feel! And adding the drop chance for other ores to mining stone is just friggin' brilliant vs the ridiculous layer/biome based nonsense they've added to A15! Just an awesome mod!! Thx so much!!

Just wanted to say thanks for all the hard work on this mod! I play SP almost always with rare times when wife will join. I'm mostly a builder and explorer with over 1500 hrs played and the massive grindy changes to A15 almost ran me out of the game for good! This mod brings back an enjoyable pace to the game, without feeling like you gotta stop and grind, before you can get back in the action! It also doesn't just add tons of crazy extra stuff...just a very nice balanced feel! And adding the drop chance for other ores to mining stone is just friggin' brilliant vs the ridiculous layer/biome based nonsense they've added to A15! Just an awesome mod!! Thx so much!!

Honestly that's awesome to hear and i feel exactly the same, thanks :)

- - - Updated - - -

OP updated:

v1.8 - A15 B105 / Stable release compatible, included entityclasses.xml with minibike map location enabled

Is it possible to just copy paste everything into the Valmod Overhaul from this mod and have the game work, if anyone knows?

It should be as all my edits are simple XML tweaks. It'd take a lot of copy / pasting but i annotate all of my edits with "<!-- A15 Better Balance Mod -...." so all edits are easy to find and understand.

Thanks for the mod. My suggestion, if you so desire, is to add additional recipes for everything that requires bottled water, to work with river water as well. Is never made sense to me to have to boil water, before we boil it for tea, or whatever. I do this myself, and I have a notepad for adding to recipes. I think its missing glue o grain alcohol or something, but I'll attach it if you want to use it. [ATTACH]17650[/ATTACH]

ADD TO RECIPES.txt

I think the steel smithing skill needs to go back to 30 points for rank 1, and leave 2/3 at 10. since rank 2 and 3 aren't really needed at all imo. other than that I like the rest of this. Same for concrete mixing. Also put back the 500 qual cap from 100 skill, it gives a reason to keep a workbench around. Due to the combining aspect. One of the first things I do is try to find a wrench then a workbench. So I can get easy 600 qual stoneaxe, shovel and bow.

I also suggest lowerign the dehydration from painkillers back to -5 water insted of -30, why it was set so high is beyond me, I've taken pain killers irl and they don't dehydrate to the point I am dying after taking 3. Make sure to change both -30's to -5.

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks for the mod. My suggestion, if you so desire, is to add additional recipes for everything that requires bottled water, to work with river water as well. Is never made sense to me to have to boil water, before we boil it for tea, or whatever. I do this myself, and I have a notepad for adding to recipes. I think its missing glue o grain alcohol or something, but I'll attach it if you want to use it. [ATTACH]17650[/ATTACH]

This does fit really well, because if you think of it, your going to be boiling the water during those recipies, so its sort of silly to need to boil it ahead of time, then boil it a second time I agree fully on this.

I'd never really thought about that but it's an excellent idea, thank you! I'll incorporate the recipes for sure and attached appropriate credit of course, thanks once again.

I kind of get the rational of cooking with clean as an ingredient but as a game mechanic i agree not really needed :)

I think the steel smithing skill needs to go back to 30 points for rank 1, and leave 2/3 at 10. since rank 2 and 3 aren't really needed at all imo. other than that I like the rest of this. Same for concrete mixing. Also put back the 500 qual cap from 100 skill, it gives a reason to keep a workbench around. Due to the combining aspect. One of the first things I do is try to find a wrench then a workbench. So I can get easy 600 qual stoneaxe, shovel and bow.

I also suggest lowerign the dehydration from painkillers back to -5 water insted of -30, why it was set so high is beyond me, I've taken pain killers irl and they don't dehydrate to the point I am dying after taking 3. Make sure to change both -30's to -5.

I know what you're saying about the steel. It's something i've tried a few different ways to make work better. For me though points directly aren't the way to go as it seems a bit of an artificial way of creating a barrier.

The most likely refresh / edit will be to separate steel arrow heads to a new recipe that is linked to archery or weapon smithing vs the current construction tools (which doesn't make a whole lot of sense). Then increase the construction skills requirements for the forged steel while retaining the 10 points. I know it's swings and roundabouts but i see more value / better progress in making a player pump points into skills vs just making a perk hard to get through being expensive.

I need more testing time to really iron out the right amount of requirements though to make sure it's 'feels' right. Of course i may then abandon that and try something else!

.edit.

Ref painkiller i keep meaning to do that and every time i forget! I gave up using them in A15 so yeah it'll be in my next edit for sure. Thanks for the reminder :)

I like the 600 craft-able limit increase but get what you're saying about the workbench. I guess i see it like it used to be in A14 that it's a great place to offload tasks that would otherwise fill a players personal crafting queue. I still use a couple in my main game so i can craft a lot of building materials that otherwise would just slow me down or fill up a backpack when i'm on my travels.

The whole combine thing is kind of lost on me in the sense if i have 2 x 500 quality items how on earth would that make a better one? I know know it's game but that logic just didn't fit for me. I can either craft to my limit of personal skills or not, i can't magically forge two identical axes into a more powerful one!

Op updated with a new build :)

v2.0 - Created a new steel arrowhead unlock perk (10 points cost, 25 archery skill requirement). Steel polish craft time increased to 10 secs from 3. Painkiller hydration drop changed from -30 to -5. Bottled water recipes can now be crafted with river (murky) water, credit to Rokhard for suggestion / his work which was copy pasted into this mod.

If you are going to change wood spikes wood requirement from 100 to 20 (20%) then I would recommend changing the spikes fuel value as well otherwise you are getting an awful lot of burn time for the small wood investment.

In you blocks.xml change the value in line 3429 from 720 to 144 (20%) or as otherwise desired.

This tip comes from Valmar when I made a similar enquiry to him and therefore I am passing the tip on to you as it makes sense.

If you are going to change wood spikes wood requirement from 100 to 20 (20%) then I would recommend changing the spikes fuel value as well otherwise you are getting an awful lot of burn time for the small wood investment.

In you blocks.xml change the value in line 3429 from 720 to 144 (20%) or as otherwise desired.

This tip comes from Valmar when I made a similar enquiry to him and therefore I am passing the tip on to you as it makes sense.

Good shout thanks, never thought of that but will add it into the new revision :)

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Archived