Project Slaanhatten

Slaan

Im kinda lucky being the one setting it up I have all the required files, that said like you mention in the CP thread, average joe does not want to have to download third party packs and see's red errors as a sign of a bad server.

It's awesome valmod is becoming more popular as people are starting to get into the habit of needing these extra things on the client but at the end of the day it's mainly red tape that could be taken care of server side and we see a massive drop in players when we roll out more unique and custom worlds.

With that in mind I've been on all morning replicating the slaanhatten de-sync ♥♥♥♥e on our test server and will drop the report, reproduction and logs in Kinyajus' mail box as I've a sneaky feeling that this is also related and with new random gen on the cards for A16 it would be nice to have this stuff taken care of.

• 1 month later...

Been enjoying the survival play through for much longer than expected but work has been ongoing since before xmas. Not sure if I'll drop the latest stuff before A16, some things I said I would do have not been done and a whole bunch of other stuff has been added instead.

1068373483_Latestmap.thumb.jpg.9fa1051988edfd89184dd2109759f9f1.jpg

Much of the NE has been renovated to try and bring performance back to acceptable levels and although there are still some hotspots of stuttering, generally speaking it plays much better.

Cookies for those who can spot the traders, I know some of our community memebers won't be happy that the bandits (naughty players not NPC's) can snipe into them from nearby buildings :playful:

Does anyone happen to have a GIANT prefab of the entire thing?

...yeh yeh I know it would be big, wouldn't spawn, etc... I know, but I'd like to insert it into an existing rwg map, and I don't mind doing the terraforming.

Yeah that's what I want to do! I think I might know how, but want to spawn it in the south of my map

Edited by wolverine576 (see edit history)

How can I place slaanhatten, in the far southwest corner of the map? Say 3000s 3000w

Adjust the cell rule to any coords you like, atm getting it exactly 3000 s and w will be slightly problematic due to the cell sizes required to spawn in the hub. However, this will not be as much of an issue from a16 as the hub will go back to being centered within it's cell instead of pushed into the NE corner, meaning I can reduce the cell size right down to a much more forgiving 2000ish.

Off the top of my head, it's current cell size is 4200 so the cell SW of the center would be -1,-1 and the SW corner of the hub using that cell would be approx -4200,-4200 with the center of the hub being around -3500,-3500.

Does anyone happen to have a GIANT prefab of the entire thing?

...yeh yeh I know it would be big, wouldn't spawn, etc... I know, but I'd like to insert it into an existing rwg map, and I don't mind doing the terraforming.

I know hal9000 is a wizard, but god damn guppy you're talking about a prefab that would be 1521 x 1521, the initial extract including the bedrock to sky layers would be freaking massive. Heck even just claiming an area that big would have my PC smoking.

I have no plans to extend beyond that outside road, although that road may not always be a solid square around the hub. So if you really wanted to drop this into navezgane, the blending in around the edges may be a once only job regardless of how often I add/update the hub itself.

As to how I would do it, work out where the SW corner would be in navezgane, lets just say for this examples sake its -500,-1000. In the current prefab grid the South-western most point is 0,0 but the lot coordinates to spawn in that city section (although it's empty atm) would be 0,117.

the coordinates you'd use in the navezgane XML to spawn the south western most prefab lot would be (0 - 500), (117 - 1000) or -500, -883. and just like that you can now calculate the lot coordinates for the rest of the city sections. No need to drop in a giant prefab, just do it the way I do in random gen.

Now this would not factor in the offset, you'd have to play around and find one that is low enough for the tall parts, high enough for the low parts and overall creates as little terra-forming work to blend it in as possible. Future proof if you ever did do this as the -25 offset I use currently leaves me space to add stuff underground (sewers/subways etc) and it would be a shame if that wasn't factored in and you weren't able to include any things that may be added in future.

I'll be honest, considering navesgane already has some excellent topography you could really bring it to life imo with a decent sized city, extending the highway out to diersville and the other small towns, joining up the rivers etc but it is a project of epic proportions.

Oh, I was only going to bring it into nav so I could rip it easier. Nav is faster to work with in Hals. :) Wasn't going to keep it there.

BUT, the info you just gave me saves me some research, so much appreciated. :)

I really like what you did on the north side of the river; that little hilly area. Ultimately I wanted to edit it to make it look more or less like:

San-Antonio-Rverwalk-34793.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

This is San Antonio's River Walk (Texas), and basically you go beneath grade to get to it. The roof of the 2nd story is "ground" level in the city... so you would have a deep recess with a river in it, and buildings on the banks.

Oh, I was only going to bring it into nav so I could rip it easier. Nav is faster to work with in Hals. :) Wasn't going to keep it there.

BUT, the info you just gave me saves me some research, so much appreciated. :)

I really like what you did on the north side of the river; that little hilly area. Ultimately I wanted to edit it to make it look more or less like:

San-Antonio-Rverwalk-34793.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

This is San Antonio's River Walk (Texas), and basically you go beneath grade to get to it. The roof of the 2nd story is "ground" level in the city... so you would have a deep recess with a river in it, and buildings on the banks.

That looks pretty cool, trying to come up with ways of removing all the vertical drops, especially in the river area is frustrating without becoming repetitive. I love the effect the hills that I added have and although they are not perfect they fit the area really nice. However, building good hills layer by layer in hals is gonna have me in spectacles before long lol and I promised myself when I added the newest one in the as yet unreleased version, no more hills for a while ( tho this one is the best looking yet!).

Building hills in Hals does indeed take time...

...but ripping hills from RWG or NAV, then placing them into your prefab, takes very little time at all. ;)

Especially if you're fluent in the

I asked Hal to put in. :)

- - - Updated - - -

In your case (And I'm making up numbers here), I would rip a hill range, cut the layers to the height of your enbankment, say 12, cut the depth, width, and call it a day.

Building hills in Hals does indeed take time...

...but ripping hills from RWG or NAV, then placing them into your prefab, takes very little time at all. ;)

Especially if you're fluent in the

I asked Hal to put in. :)

- - - Updated - - -

In your case (And I'm making up numbers here), I would rip a hill range, cut the layers to the height of your enbankment, say 12, cut the depth, width, and call it a day.

Multi window!? I copy/paste like a pro in just one! I've actually used that method in the past and theres times when it's great even if it's just a starting point. I think I should re-visit this technique but sometimes, especially working between streets or around sections of highway the layer by layer approach is the more painstakingly thorough one. Imagine when people start wanting smoother hills and I have to start adjusting densities, my optician is gonna be rich.

Adjust the cell rule to any coords you like, atm getting it exactly 3000 s and w will be slightly problematic due to the cell sizes required to spawn in the hub. However, this will not be as much of an issue from a16 as the hub will go back to being centered within it's cell instead of pushed into the NE corner, meaning I can reduce the cell size right down to a much more forgiving 2000ish.

Off the top of my head, it's current cell size is 4200 so the cell SW of the center would be -1,-1 and the SW corner of the hub using that cell would be approx -4200,-4200 with the center of the hub being around -3500,-3500.

Slaanhatten doesnt have to be exactly 3000s w I just dont want it to be on the NW or north side of the map, what section of you code do i edit to get slaahatten to spawn somewhere south?

Heres what i was thinking would work. On my local machine, im going to start a new world, with slaanhatten, but use the seed name from my current map. That way slaahatten will "properly" spawn, hopefully in the south, cause my base is in the north, ill then add the region files, after exploring them locally, to my dedi, over-writing the existing regions...In therory lol

Edited by wolverine576 (see edit history)

Slaanhatten doesnt have to be exactly 3000s w I just dont want it to be on the NW or north side of the map, what section of you code do i edit to get slaahatten to spawn somewhere south?

Heres what i was thinking would work. On my local machine, im going to start a new world, with slaanhatten, but use the seed name from my current map. That way slaahatten will "properly" spawn, hopefully in the south, cause my base is in the north, ill then add the region files, after exploring them locally, to my dedi, over-writing the existing regions...In therory lol

That should work, just adjust the cell rule to push it wherever you want it and copy/paste the regions it spawns into. It's the way we get around the bug that crashes out the server when the hub is generated for the first time.

That should work, just adjust the cell rule to push it wherever you want it and copy/paste the regions it spawns into. It's the way we get around the bug that crashes out the server when the hub is generated for the first time.

So i got SLaanhtten Integrated into an existing map, It spawned in the lower NE corner, next to a lake, about 50 meters ABOVE the lake, makes for an interesting view, not yet jumped off the side yet into the water lol :)

So i got SLaanhtten Integrated into an existing map, It spawned in the lower NE corner, next to a lake, about 50 meters ABOVE the lake, makes for an interesting view, not yet jumped off the side yet into the water lol :)

I guess it being there with some strangeness is better than not at all! it's not a perfect method but we've done ok using it on the initial server setup when we push out a new game.

I am not able to make it run with the compo pack mixers. It works fine with the included mixer, but won't work with any of the mixers you have listed that require compo pack. I'm sure I have installed the latest download. Is anyone else seen these issues?

I am not able to make it run with the compo pack mixers. It works fine with the included mixer, but won't work with any of the mixers you have listed that require compo pack. I'm sure I have installed the latest download. Is anyone else seen these issues?

Check the original post, there's a mixer that includes compo pack prefabs available via a separate link. You can add the hub manually, however it currently requires an unusually large cell size to fit the hub and still have room to blend out. Ofc adjusting the cell size by such a large amount requires some kind of effort to be made with the rest of the mixer to adequately fill the rest of the map (you will get roughly half as many cells in the playable area and the default wilderness spawning is for cells less than half the size I use).

The extra mixer I linked is far from perfect, we run a version of it atm on our dedi server at http://www.northern-lan.co.uk/7d2d/ if you wanted to look at the webmap and catch a glimpse of how it's spawned for us.

Yeah theres a few spots where if you break anything the whole lot comes down, I'll defo fix it so it's not so bad but generally on a smaller scale I leave that stuff in. Fallen skyscraper claims a soul every play through on our live server ;D.

On a separate note, update time! will edit the OP

Yeah theres a few spots where if you break anything the whole lot comes down, I'll defo fix it so it's not so bad but generally on a smaller scale I leave that stuff in. Fallen skyscraper claims a soul every play through on our live server ;D.

On a separate note, update time! will edit the OP

Been waiting for this! Thank you!