Project Slaanhatten

Slaan

Hi Slaan,

does this mean your just about to release in relation to b104 alpha ;) 0.5 ?

"We think this build could be good enough to go stable. Please let us know if you find and can reproduce any show stopping gameplay bugs or crashes. Known issues and crashes are listed at the bottom of this post."

Thats for a15 b104 has nothing to do with slaanhatten or any mod :-/

Hi Slaan,

does this mean your just about to release in relation to b104 alpha ;) 0.5 ?

"We think this build could be good enough to go stable. Please let us know if you find and can reproduce any show stopping gameplay bugs or crashes. Known issues and crashes are listed at the bottom of this post."

As soon as we get a stable build I'll wrap up the current state of the hub and push it out :D

Hi Stallionsden,

Slaan said when there is a stable release he will release his next version. so I was asking as per comment in yellow from TFP if it mean Slaans next release was very very close to be released. I know he doesnt have anythign to do with the official game release but I'm very excited to see Slaans next version.

Hi Slaan,

When a new RWG is done, does the location of Slaanhatten change to random or is it fixed ? Each time I have re generated a new world it seems to move and I'm having trouble locating it .

The hub itself should remain in a fixed position, currently there's one section that does not generate on a few seeds as it's Y offsett is lower than -25 but the rest should generate each time.

Check your cell size in the rwgmixer, I think 0.4.2 can get away with minimum 2200 but as I discovered on the newer build when I shifted everything into the NE quarter of the cell, the hub will be cut off at the cell border if it's not set high enough.

Other than that (off the top of my head) there should be no other issues with things not spawning where they should.

On a side note, the northern lan test server is up and running, 86.31.252.133:26905 PW: citytest

It's not gonna be a 24/7 thing but while it's on people are more than welcome to come take a look around (vanilla mixer with cityhub in it's new home NE of 0,0)

Hi Slaan,

I just found this and thought it would be amazing in Slaanhatten.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bX8BgxAnQGQ

http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561198083397848

P.S I have just edited this post as you have seen the video. Is he or you interested in putting this in Slaanhatten ?

Thanks heaps again for your amazing work.

Regards David.

Edited by The Overcomer (see edit history)

I'm taking a break for a week or so while I enjoy a survival play through on BigC's server, I have a few loose ends to chase when I start building again. I did add mondsucht on steam and intend to speak to him about the mental hospital, even tho we already have the asylum up by the hospital I can think of a couple of possible uses/spots to drop it in.

It's working quite well so far, tho like most times I play through surivial I end up with an ever increasing list of ideas/edits that are needed so It won't be too long before I get the itch to continue.

I'm taking a break for a week or so while I enjoy a survival play through on BigC's server, I have a few loose ends to chase when I start building again. I did add mondsucht on steam and intend to speak to him about the mental hospital, even tho we already have the asylum up by the hospital I can think of a couple of possible uses/spots to drop it in.

It's working quite well so far, tho like most times I play through surivial I end up with an ever increasing list of ideas/edits that are needed so It won't be too long before I get the itch to continue.

Enjoy your week man. Everyone needs a break every now and then. Enjoy your great work you have done :-)

• 4 weeks later...
Slaan,

I think I've got some stuff that would fit well in there.

Sounds interesting! feel free to elaborate here or send me a mail with the juicy info. I'm due to start more work on the hub soon and look forward to seeing what you've built.

Sounds interesting! feel free to elaborate here or send me a mail with the juicy info. I'm due to start more work on the hub soon and look forward to seeing what you've built.

I'd need to know what kind of motif you allow.

I think my Tank Garage would be fun in there and the Utility stuff I made by it looks like you want custom built to your map.

How would I go about doing that?

I'm near the 500 hours mark for alpha 15 so time to take a break from playing and do some building.

I was going to release a Mod pack but I wouldn't mind making something for your project.

Sounds like fun.

When it comes to adding to the hub, the simple way I think...

load it up in a game and add the prefabs/manual build the area's you have in mind.

and/or

Modify the actual x_custom_city_ prefabs(cut in paths/roads,terraform,decorations etc, will depend on level of skill with the editor)

and/or

build your own area/street(s)/town

Once you're done, extract the whole modified area as a prefab (don't forget any modified city sections) and take some coordinates for where I'd have to insert it to see it match up with the hub. Send/post links and pics.

Enough exists in the hub now I think to demonstrate the kind of style I'm trying to go for and it's important that regardless of whats being built we keep looking at the project as a single city as when it comes to the distribution of amenities and landmarks. However I still feel quite wary about commiting so much effort to this method with A16 and more RWG changes looming which is why things have been going slower for a while now. I've even contemplated a more 'enhanced' method of creating the city and starting it again (/shudder).

BigC90210 once made a joke about me using 7D2D to play sim city and it's not a bad comparison to how I look at the hub when I consider expanding/upgrades, connecting them to the road network or highway, building up the landscape and filling the gaps with residential.

Nothing below -25

and consider the fps when ye stacking 2k lights or large/dense buildings.

I know the tutorial videos I made are a little old now and my english is awesome..., but if there are specific things that are hard to understand or questions I can directly answer/expand upon, then Im happy to do more or even thrash out a blog.

• 2 weeks later...
Whats the difference between, terror-forming, and dedicated versions on the download page?

The dedicated server version contains the region files used to generate the hub in a game with the seed name Slaanhatten07.

It's mainly for people who struggle to setup a local MP/dedi server game with the required workaround, you can use the included project rwgmixer and simply copy the region files over to your save game to pre-generate the hub area. However, as the mixer included within the project folder is just the city hub added to a vanilla game, it may not match up right if your adding in other things like the compo pack or adjusting the offset etc.

Can you add an abandoned train somewhere in the city?

Some kind of rail network was gonna be a 'thing' which would include at least a couple stations, bridge and maybe some subway sections. The main thing is there are many other more important things to add at this stage, even just filling the area up in a respectable way is time consuming and the mentioned rail network would need the city as a whole to be a touch more complete before it could be planned properly.

I miss the rail tracks we used to have with the custom city blocks, but we do have nearly 2km of highway and an already impressive road map to race our mini bikes around so for now the rail system will remain on the 'to do' list.

Horst did a great train and I think my density tweaks to his tracks look on point. Just can't curve them is all.

I believe I know the prefab your talking of, it's pretty impressive and way better than the ones I done in the cityblocks by a mile. The method used to create the hub allows me a freedom of building that you just can't have when using more traditional ways and although it's often waaaay more time consuming, the non uniform look and more realistic planning of districts is one thing that makes this city stand apart by quite a large margin imo and a rail network will get the same kind of love if it makes it in.

Density blending is one thing that I've been really lazy with, but again this is something that would be more of a finishing touch to the city. Due to the way plans change and areas are revisited as well as the changes to the game itself which improves or kills fps in some parts of the hub, there are far too many opportunities to re-do or edit existing areas to be more performance friendly or aesthetically pleasing so we get the dirty version for now and things like that can be done as a single update across the whole hub at a later date.

I love the way it's comming together, the south side of the city is turning out much better than I imagined it would but when you head back to the 'older' areas, particularly downtown and where the sewers were started, performance is borderline terrible and some changes are desperately needed.

First and foremost I developed this project to work on multiplayer servers and be as playable as possible, even if it means sacrificing things like a New York style skyscraper district or other larger performance hogging builds. Hopefully as we approach the gold release things will be a lot more stable and we as modders will have a better idea of how far we can push the game before things start going to ♥♥♥♥. Thats why I cherish the smaller builds when they pop up (like your apartments) as they give a great opportunity to kill some large empty space with respectable looking prefabs that are not 'too' big or full of objects/containers/lights etc.

As there won't be an update for a couple weeks yet HERE is a newer version of the RWGmixer.

You MUST have the latest compo pack prefabs installed too.

The mixer features Slaanhatten at 0,0 and rather than rolling out custom cell rules for some of the larger builds, I've added them to the custom hub code for the city and dropped them around in the empty areas surrounding the hub. It should be noted that these are not permanent additions, they are just used as fillers when we generate a new map for a playthrough.

The other main difference is the introduction of the compo packs custom towns/rural/cities and wilderness spawns. Everything outside of the center cell is now randomly generated. The cell offset is back up to 0.7 and we have a reasonable amount of vanilla/custom prefabs out in the wilds now to compensate for the larger cell size.

We run this mixer on BigC90210s' server over at Northern-lan along with valmod overhaul if anyone wants to see it in action.

Feel free to add or modify, if you take a look at the hub code for Slaanhatten you can see how the big builds were thrown in as a last minute addition and it's quite simple to drop in as many 'extras' as you like.

*Bugs*

Massive console spam on the first time connecting to the dedi server, quit and re-try as this is a once only thing.

The usual slaanhatten de-sync bug that requires the work-around fix (see project folder/OP)

*Bugs*

Massive console spam on the first time connecting to the dedi server, quit and re-try as this is a once only thing.

The usual slaanhatten de-sync bug that requires the work-around fix (see project folder/OP)

You shouldn't get the console spam if you have the prefabs on the client as well :)