The Ability to Throw Your Melee Weapon at Your Enemies

Warkin

In a game where items disappear in a minute is left on the ground, the last thing I want is to throw a weapon that isn't intended to be lost.  I was very happy that they removed that from spears.  Now I can use a power attack often compared to never throwing the spear before and missing out on the most powerful attacks.

It was not removed only commented out. I still use it but only for the

stone spears, it only takes a few resources that I always have, to recreate

one if its lost. The iron and steel I use the thrust. The part that I like that

some would call gamey, is the Neon glow to find it when I use it at night.

Rocks can be edited to stun as well as distract. I just wish meat had a model

I'd throw it to the carnivore animals, including the vultures for feathers.

Edited by 4sheetzngeegles (see edit history)

12 hours ago, Warkin said:

Dear Developers Please Add the Ability to Throw Your Melee Weapon at Human and Infected Enemies as a Projectile Thank You.

Again, removed because they are not capable of mantaining any interesting feature at all. 

9 hours ago, Riamus said:

In a game where items disappear in a minute is left on the ground, the last thing I want is to throw a weapon that isn't intended to be lost.  I was very happy that they removed that from spears.  Now I can use a power attack often compared to never throwing the spear before and missing out on the most powerful attacks.

1 line of code, increase time to despawn timer to something like 5 hours

I would love such option in the game, but first things first any throwable weapon must be shown in the compass (or currently thrown weapon by the player). Any item that has been used by the player for quite some time must have some debuff so the weapon does not evaporate in like 5 min. 

5 hours ago, Cr0wst0rm said:

1 line of code, increase time to despawn timer to something like 5 hours

You are still left with losing your weapon until you can grab it again and lose out on real power attacks.  If you had power attacks and a separate throw option, then that would be fine.  Otherwise, I much prefer the power attacks.  I have no need to run around hunting for a thrown spear after (or during) a fight.  Thrown weapons should really be something that isn't a main weapon.  A bundle of javelins, throwing knives or axes, etc.  Things you're not normally going to be doing melee with, though you could but with less damage.

34 minutes ago, Riamus said:

You are still left with losing your weapon until you can grab it again and lose out on real power attacks.  If you had power attacks and a separate throw option, then that would be fine.  Otherwise, I much prefer the power attacks.  I have no need to run around hunting for a thrown spear after (or during) a fight.  Thrown weapons should really be something that isn't a main weapon.  A bundle of javelins, throwing knives or axes, etc.  Things you're not normally going to be doing melee with, though you could but with less damage.

Exactly give them different uses ages 

Perception had Grenades and explosives... that go boom

Strenght would have throwing spears that have armor piercing

Fortitude has tomahawk. A quick melee weapon and great for throwing that great at chopping limps

Agility has throwing knifes. Quick very, cheap, and have bonus stealth damage 

Intellect has stuff stuff. Tier one is a Bola, tier 2 is a flashbang and tier 3 is a shock grenade 

50 minutes ago, Riamus said:

That again could have been very easily fixed, by using reload binding to switch to throwing mode (and have third animation holding the spear in the air)
Instead of implementing something interesting, they chose the easy way out. Again.

Also I miss the point of having power attacks on spear, it's not only weird but it's not even meant to be used that way, it usually is used in relation with hunting animals. This completely defeats its purpose as a long range weapon. I can use any other melee item in same way.

1 hour ago, Adam the Waster said:

Exactly give them different uses ages 

Perception had Grenades and explosives... that go boom

Strenght would have throwing spears that have armor piercing

Fortitude has tomahawk. A quick melee weapon and great for throwing that great at chopping limps

Agility has throwing knifes. Quick very, cheap, and have bonus stealth damage 

Intellect has stuff stuff. Tier one is a Bola, tier 2 is a flashbang and tier 3 is a shock grenade 

Except spears are perception.  Having throwing spears as something else doesn't make sense.

1 hour ago, Cr0wst0rm said:

That again could have been very easily fixed, by using reload binding to switch to throwing mode (and have third animation holding the spear in the air)
Instead of implementing something interesting, they chose the easy way out. Again.

Also I miss the point of having power attacks on spear, it's not only weird but it's not even meant to be used that way, it usually is used in relation with hunting animals. This completely defeats its purpose as a long range weapon. I can use any other melee item in same way.

So a spear can't be used both for stabbing (jabs) and thrusting?  Two different actions, where the thrust action is what they are using as a power attack.  Stabbing should be faster than thrusting attacks.  I don't really know if it is as I've never looked at it that closely.

You also have range with a spear that you don't with most other melee weapons and have more ability to attack through openings.  If other weapons were the same, I wouldn't be solely a spear user for melee.

You feel like it would be interesting to throw your main weapon, and I know others feel the same way.  But I really had no use for that mechanic and was very happy to see it removed.  Even though I used spears before the change, I always felt they were weak compared to other weapons, offering only reach.  Now they are on par with other weapons, and as a spear user, I am happy about that.

Edited by Riamus (see edit history)

15 minutes ago, Riamus said:

Except spears are perception.  Having throwing spears as something else doesn't make sense.

So a spear can't be used both for stabbing (jabs) and thrusting?  Two different actions, where the thrust action is what they are using as a power attack.  Stabbing should be faster than thrusting attacks.  I don't really know if it is as I've never looked at it that closely.

You also have range with a spear that you don't with most other melee weapons and have more ability to attack through openings.  If other weapons were the same, I wouldn't be solely a spear user for melee.

You feel like it would be interesting to throw your main weapon, and I know others feel the same way.  But I really had no use for that mechanic and was very happy to see it removed.  Even though I used spears before the change, I always felt they were weak compared to other weapons, offering only reach.  Now they are on par with other weapons, and as a spear user, I am happy about that.

I was thinking that but I think perception needs something to make people who want to perk into it. Late game. 

10 minutes ago, Adam the Waster said:

I was thinking that but I think perception needs something to make people who want to perk into it. Late game. 

Maybe.  I usually have a pretty balanced build across the attributes by mid game.  Perception for spear and sniper, strength for mining and scavenging, agility for parkour and pistols, intelligence for extra rewards and reduced vehicle repairs costs.  I know I use fortitude for something, but am drawing a blank.  Probably means that one could use something extra for me to want to use it enough to remember it.