How are you dealing with the increased chance of spawning a screamer?

On 9/4/2024 at 2:25 PM, zombiehunter said:

It's not just your bad luck.  I've had that happen many times.  I understand that TFP tried to make the game more challenging but the new screamer horde mechanic, IMO, is just a cheap way to try to make the game more challenging.  The whole thing is overdone.  For example, in my last playthrough, I was on about day 8 or something like that, running ONLY two dew collectors.  Somehow that spawned THREE screamers.  It's overdone and needs to be scaled back some, IMO.  

It's just fine the way it is. Well, it could be a little harder honestly. The fact that some people are complaining is a testament that it worked. If you're having trouble just turn down the difficulty or play in creative FFS. 

On 8/2/2024 at 9:55 AM, Krougal said:

3 weeks in A19 and not 1 screamer. 2 forges, 2 campfires, 2 cement mixers running almost 24/7. 

The pimps are like my wife, they don't know how to just adjust the thermostat by a degree or 2, they just fling the dial from 1 end to the other.

A19 was very lonely though, although probably because I wasn't traveling far. Although wandering hordes seemed very sparse, luck of the draw I guess.  Having come back to 1.0 It is very noticeable how many more normal spawns there are now (this is a very good thing). 

Yes. More zombies to kill, the better. The last thing we need is another lifeless sandbox game. 

On 7/26/2024 at 5:38 PM, Roland said:

It's not unrelated. More wilderness spawns mean more zombies in the area where you want to work. Screamers bring more zombies into the area where you want to work. People have been wanting the world to have more zombies. Screamers bring more zombies.

Thanks for asking instead of assuming. No. I'm not mocking. I really am curious. I get that some people don't want to be interrupted by extra zombies while they are trying to get stuff done. But where are the other people who do want larger populations of zombies? I'd think they'd be here in larger numbers praising the increased screamer activity. I would think at least some of them would come to disagree that more screamers bringing in more zombies is exactly what the game needs. It's what you get when you up the spawn numbers in the xml. You often get surrounding zombies coming in to mess with you while you mine, quest, build, etc. And there have been a lot of people modding their game with increased spawn numbers.

So...did I summon you or not....? Thanks for answering on behalf of the target audience I guess.

You're likening the screamer spawn to the F6 spawn and they aren't very similar. You can spawn in a block of 25 of the same zombie in one mass which is nothing like a screamer spawn or you can walk around and spawn singles in different places but that would be super tedious. The screamer brings zombies from different directions in a circumference around you. When in a building questing, they feel just like nearby zombies zeroing in on my location--at least to me. Plus, with screamers you are playing the game the entire time and not pausing play to open the debug menu and then run around peppering the landscape with here a zombie there a zombie yourself. Also, the zombies you place won't have a waypoint in your general direction implanted in their brains causing them to enter the POI and go to the spot where your gunfire caused the heat overload.

Now, in the sense that neither the f6 spawner nor screamers solve the problem of just having zombies existing in dense numbers in the world when traveling around. I agree. But I don't think that lots of zombies existing while you travel is significant to gameplay. You just leave them in the dust. Zombie high density only matters at the location where you plan to be active and sleepers bring them in (potentially).

I think it is pretty stupid to have dense populations of zombies out in the forest. They should be dense in the cities and sparse in the wilderness with occasional herds shambling along. It would be nice to have larger herds than we typically get but putting zombies everywhere out in the wilderness where you are just pedaling past them would be the stupid choice, imo.

Exactly. We don't want The Walking Dead silliness in this game, where the forests were brimming with zombies, even more so than the cities. At the same time, I don't want 7DaystoDie to be like Day Z where NO zombies spawned in the woods.

41 minutes ago, ammonitia said:

It's just fine the way it is. Well, it could be a little harder honestly. The fact that some people are complaining is a testament that it worked. If you're having trouble just turn down the difficulty or play in creative FFS.

It's not hard, it's tedious.  Even back in A21 I'd get 5 or 6 screamers a night when I was mining iron/lead.  They're not a threat, they're just an annoyance.

4 hours ago, ammonitia said:

It's not hard.  It's annoying.  

4 hours ago, Vaeliorin said:

It's not hard, it's tedious.  Even back in A21 I'd get 5 or 6 screamers a night when I was mining iron/lead.  They're not a threat, they're just an annoyance.

Zombies are supposed to be an annoyance. A lot of us want that "annoyance" because it adds life to the game world. It increases immersion. Many players do find it HARD. You are not everyone. When I was mining oil shale in the desert, I was ambushed by two screamers, and before I knew it, I was surrounded by ferals. It was my first death in like a hundred days. I LOVED IT! 

But perhaps these screamers should be made even HARDER? How about their screams being able to summon a pack of dire wolves or a horde of demolition zombies?

Actually, they're not an annoyance at all. On the contrary, they're a delight. In addition to breathing life (or is it death?) into the game world, they provide me with more loot opportunities. I usually LET them summon in their friends just so I can increase my chances of scoring a blue bag. Besides, zombies are just so satisfying to kill in this game. I've played State of Decay 2, WWZ, Day Z, Dying Light 1 and 2, etc, but none compare to this game in terms of zombie slaying BLISS! I hope TFP bring back zombie spawn sliders so I can crank it all the way up! A screamer slider too would be nice. More zombies PLEASE! More, more, MORE!

The game has never been easier, to the point where very little is any sort of threat. Far rather roaming hordes (proper roaming hordes not the usual "Look at those 3 following each other") Than the far off bandit promise that will turn out just as easy to cheese. Give us Romero hordes rather than agoraphobic squatters!

12 hours ago, asmosnuts said:

The game has never been easier, to the point where very little is any sort of threat. Far rather roaming hordes (proper roaming hordes not the usual "Look at those 3 following each other") Than the far off bandit promise that will turn out just as easy to cheese. Give us Romero hordes rather than agoraphobic squatters!

The number of zombies in the game is limited, among other things, by the fact that the game has to run reasonably smoothly on the consoles, which have significantly weaker hardware than the average gaming PC.

If you have the appropriate hardware you can install mods to make the game more challenging.

There is actually a Romero Mod that gives you Romero Hordes among other thing:

https://7daystodiemods.com/romero-mod-a-game-mode-suite-of-zombie-tweaks/

Or if you only want bigger Hordes you can have this as well:

https://7daystodiemods.com/increased-wandering-horde-size/

• 2 weeks later...