Should the Hunting rifle hold more then 1 round?

Hunting rifle holding more then 1 round?  

15 members have voted

1. 1. Do you think the hunting rifle should hold more then 1 round?

• No, I find it's fine and satisfying to pop heads
    • Yes.

Can I vote that I don't really care either way because I won't use it even with 5 rounds?  😁

Still, you have pipe with 1 round that is very slow, hunting is 1 round and allow, but not as slow.  I could see it being 3 and slow, without an option to use a mag extender mod.

Since it's a bolt-action rifle does it matter? I mean, your magazine size is essentially the size of your backpack (in the game). Now maybe if it had a quicker racking the bolt animation/reload and then a slower reload of the magazine that would be an idea.

Edited by seven (see edit history)

I see where you're coming from here. The Rifle is one of the sets where there are 4 quality tiers instead of 3 to climb, and the Hunting Rifle feels like it's just another 6 quality levels of Pipe Rifle, with a slightly faster reload. It's a difficult phase to get through in PVE if you're building perception sniper; since the zombie placements in POIs are often universally obscured from the doorways, and outdoors zombie spawns from quests like in buried supplies automatically know where you are and aggro, the longer range doesn't give as big of an edge over the other weapons as you might think.

I've a few times thought that it might be nice if the Hunting Rifle were more of an Elmer Fudd style two-barreled or two-shot gun, like the double barreled shotgun.
But another thought I've had for re-balancing the early rifles and/or shotguns is to give them some kind of melee attack without having to put them away, like a bayonet or reinforced stock augment. Wouldn't be as damaging as a full dedicated melee weapon of the same level, but would give a way to do a quick knockdown and reload in emergencies, possibly at expense of a small chunk of durability. Not sure what button it would be bound to, though.

Not sure if either is really needed for balance. But could be nice.

9 hours ago, Riamus said:

Can I vote that I don't really care either way because I won't use it even with 5 rounds?  😁

Still, you have pipe with 1 round that is very slow, hunting is 1 round and allow, but not as slow.  I could see it being 3 and slow, without an option to use a mag extender mod.

You got me there I should have made that option I think it's too late though

9 hours ago, Riamus said:

You got me there I should have made that option I think it's too late though

Pipe rifle should be slightly faster reload and be the one shoter! 

But a part of me loves the pop reload pop reload. I was a ace with it on console.  Still aim! Zombie dogs stood no chance 

I feel similar to Riamus, I use it when I find it as a quick switch backup. If I pimp dreamed it though, thinking about progression,

I'd degrade the accuracy of the pipe rifle because it reminds me of the of a musket gun, and the one time I went shooting one,

I had to aim at  the ground 3 feet ahead of the target because of the huge recoil but it it had lots of multi-target penetration. 

I'm not a hunter, though. So I can only write about what I experienced.

Considering that we do have the Lever Action Rifle in the game, and the Pipe Rifle is already a 1 shot base version, the Hunting Rifle should hold 3 rounds at least and have a racking animation to chamber each round after a shot. For me that will give it a nice progression overall. Currently, there isn't a specific need to even craft the hunting rifle as most of us would probably skip it and wait for the Lever Action instead. If we do find it in loot drops we switch over but definitely not gonna waste the resources to craft one. 

Yeah but it doesn't take much practice to be able to work a bolt action very rapidly, I was doing it as a kid and getting shots off at better than 1 per second from a standing unsupported firing position. Being prone or any kind of supported position makes it that much faster because you take less time to regain site picture. There are methods to speed shoot a bolt action rifle without a magazine or clip, but we can probably count that as being 5/5 in rifles. I'd like to see the hunting rifle have multiple round capacity and just keep it with a low rate of fire.