NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2080 TI 12GB

Morloc

NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2080 TI 12GB

Is anyone else using this card?

The graphics are fine, but the fans ramp up on the card so high it sounds like 2 hair dryers running (seriously). Seems to mostly happen in foresty areas.

This was the case in the alpha as well. I'm running on the higher (but not all maxed) visual settings.

I haven't tried redoing the thermal paste/pads yet, but I've heard this card is known to be problematic.

-Arch Necromancer Morloc 💀

49 minutes ago, Morloc said:

Seems to mostly happen in foresty areas

I don't know your card (2060 owner)... but if it mostly happens in the forest - try lowering the "shadow quality" one step down and see if that helps.

Ya, definitely sounds like a thermal issue. I don't know what MSI Afterburner has or if Precision X1 is compatible with your card, but software like that could tell you where the hotspots are on your card and if the thermal paste / pads are doing what they're supposed to.

Youtube tech channels do say that ppl should be redoing the paste / pads every few years, though I myself have never done it and I've used and abused many gaming cards over the years with no thermal issues at all, longest I think being 8 years so far.

Also, if you do decide to redo the pads, make sure to document the before and after temps. Also, be sure the pads are the exact thicknesses needed as that is a very common mistake which causes things to get a lot worse in the end. Also consider using a heat gun / hair dryer against the gpu dye to soften the thermal paste enough to remove the heatsink without ripping the gpu dye apart (as that is a thing that can happen).

Edited by Fox (see edit history)

IIRC, the default fan setting on that card isn't to even seriously spin up the fans until it hits 85C or so. So basically, the card waits until it is getting too hot to turn on the fans, rather than starting cooling earlier when it makes more sense. (It's a "feature" to make for quieter GPU's that Nvidia has been doing since the 10-series.)

Using software to set a custom fan curve and start ramping it up around 70C will help a lot.  Used to have a similar issue with my 1070's.

Just to add to SylenThunder's post and add a reference point, this is my own fan curve which works very well for me in my high airflow case.

3080.png.35c2cccb05b77382d40664ec74c8059c.png

My temps never reach past 70C (90% fan speed) while playing 7D2D. Although, EVGA being the king of GPU cooling, I imagine other GPUs, especially the one from Nvidia directly, would probably add around 10C to that. I set my fan curve quite aggressively only because the fans on my GPU are really quiet... and I want max performance without overclocking. EDIT: After experimenting, if I manually set the fan speed to 50% (while playing 7D2D), temps go up to 74-75C.

But the point here is that you should try to get a gradual curve like what I have if you can. That way the temps don't sneak up to dangerous levels before the fan kicks in. Instead, the fans will just gradually increase speed as needed and not bounce around making it very noticeable.

Edited by Fox (see edit history)