New PC Soon Finally

I got up enough money to buy a new PC since my last one died about a year ago. Should be putting it together the fist part of July.

So, can you tell me what you think?

ASRock Z790 PG RIPTIDE Intel LGA1700.
Intel Core i7-14700K.
Kingston Fury Renegade 96GB (2 x 48GB) 288-Pin PC RAM DDR5 6000.

Gigabyte RTX 4070ti.
Seasonic VERTEX GX-1000, 1000W 80+ Gold, ATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 Ready Power Supply.
4x  - Solidigm P41 Plus 2TB M.2 2280 PCIe 4.0 NVMe Gen4 Internal Solid State Drive.

HT-Omega eClaro PCI Express x1 Sound card

PCI Express x1 - 2 Port 2.5GB Ethernet Card

Phanteks Enthoo Pro Series PH-ES614P Steel / Plastic ATX Full Tower Computer Case.
Scythe Mugen 5 Rev. C CPU Air Cooler, 120mm Single Tower, Black Edition.
4x - Noctua NF-A14 iPPC-2000 PWM, Heavy Duty Cooling Fan, 4-Pin, 2000 RPM (140mm, Black) For Case.
2x - Iceberg Thermal IceGALE Lightning ARGB Gen 2 120mm Case Fan For CPU Heatsink

Plus what I already have:

5 - 6TB SATA hard drives

2 - 1TB SATA SSDs

1 Blu-Ray Burner thanks to the optical bays on the case (why I like the case)

Would love to add a PCI Express SATA Controller but with the Intel motherboards I am lucky to get 2 PCI express 1x, 8x SATA Ports and 4 M.2 Slots without some other ports deactivated. like I have seen in all other 1700 Z790 board out there and Its why I like this board.  Some boards will deactivate M.2 slots if you use all of you SATA or if you use all you M.2 slots you lose 2 SATA ports and that kind of nonsense

I know that the Intel Core i7-14700K runs VERY hot so I been watching YouTube videos and for the ASRock mobo I will use the following settings for the CPU:

TJM = 90c

PL1-PL2 = 225

OFFSET Mode with an OFFSET of  0.100V

LLC = 3 for both

And the 2 Iceburg 120mm fans go up to 2,200 RPM, and delivers 76.74 CFM of airflow for the CPU Heatsink.

Should rot run  higher than 85c at full load. I know I will lose A tiny bit of performance but I hate seeing a CPU get up too 100 on some cores and will gladly trade some performance for a cooler CPU. Besides where I live it gets up to triple digits in the summer and all I have is fans to keep the place cool.

One long post becomes longer every time I edit. Sorry about that.

Also, sorry If I come off like I am bragging, just want to see if people like this setup.

Edited by bobrpggamer (see edit history)

I've got only 1 question - why intel? its E cores will bring no profit in the game. I would opt for a X3D AMD processor. Would do a good job with games, and enough to cover all your needs in multi-core loads if you have any. BTW it would be good to know what else do you do with your machine except gaming to give you a better advice. As most games never use more than 4 cores, leading to an opportunity to save a buck here and there.

Yep, those E-Cores are going to be an issue. Either disable them, or use software to circumvent their use. If you want Performance without spending a fortune, AMD is where it is at. Has been that way since the 3000-series released. They are even kicking Nvidia's ass as a 6900XT will run the same or better performance as your 4070Ti for nearly half the price. The only reason to get the Nvidia card would be for RayTracing, and that is a pretty steep markup for a single feature that isn't used in 90% of games that exist. Those basement bargain drives will end up costing you in the long run as well. A Sabrent or Samsung drive costs only a slight bit more, is 33% faster, and has a track record as being one of the most reliable drives around. Your choice by SK Hynix is about as reliable as any off-brand product like Kingston or Inland performance. Expect failure to occur within a year or two instead of around a decade from now.

Some reading for you because you will run into issues with Intel chips if you decide to stick with that choice.

https://www.tomshardware.com/news/bitsun-coredirector-intel-cpu-e-cores

https://www.xda-developers.com/intel-13th-gen-14th-gen-crashes/

Posted (edited)

I use VMware Workstation a lot and to my knowledge I could have 3 VMs of the PC I am using right now (i7 860) These VMs would mainly be working off of E-cores and the Idea of having these running at one time sounds cool to me.

3 of these VMs running with E-cores without breaking a sweat while doing modern gaming.

4 Core
16 Gb RAM
Windows 10

E-cores used = 12, leaving the P-cores to use for gaming. This is also why I chose the 96 GB RAM, otherwise you would really not need any more than 64GB for almost anything.

Here is an example if I want to choose which cores to use.

Spoiler

Encoding 1:
4 Core
16 Gb RAM
Windows 10

Encoding VMX 1:

Processor0.use = "FALSE"
Processor1.use = "TRUE"    1 Performance
Processor2.use = "FALSE"
Processor3.use = "TRUE"    1 Performance
Processor4.use = "FALSE"
Processor5.use = "FALSE"
Processor6.use = "FALSE"
Processor7.use = "FALSE"
Processor8.use = "FALSE"
Processor9.use = "TRUE"    1 Efficiency
Processor10.use = "TRUE"    1 Efficiency
Processor11.use = "TRUE"    1 Efficiency
Processor12.use = "FALSE"
Processor13.use = "FALSE"
Processor14.use = "FALSE"
Processor15.use = "FALSE"
Processor16.use = "FALSE"
Processor17.use = "FALSE"
Processor18.use = "FALSE"
Processor19.use = "FALSE"

You can pretty much choose which cores you want to use, thanks to a forum post at VMWare. It seems some guys were complaining that the VMs were only using E-cores.

I do some video and audio encoding, different 3D graphics projects here and there, watch movies when I can in UHD preferably. and do some retro gaming in VMs and use save states of the VM, so I can cheat In some older DOS RPGs like Ultima and Might and Magic that does not let you save very often or at all. It changes sometimes what I am working on and maybe even AI up-converting someday to take my DVDs up to 1080, but probable not that any time soon.

All and all I have not had a AMD CPU since the Athlon64 X2, and I just like Intel, I do not know exactly why, but I do.

Those basement bargain drives will end up costing you in the long run as well. A Sabrent or Samsung drive costs only a slight bit more, is 33% faster, and has a track record as being one of the most reliable drives around. Your choice by SK Hynix is about as reliable as any off-brand product like Kingston or Inland performance. Expect failure to occur within a year or two instead of around a decade from now.

I just thought that they seem like a decent company and get 5 out of 5 stars on Newegg. But I will take your advice and look into other brands.

These items are going to be bought:

ASRock Z790 PG RIPTIDE Intel LGA1700.
Intel Core i7-14700K.
Kingston Fury Renegade 96GB (2 x 48GB) 288-Pin PC RAM DDR5 6000.

Seasonic VERTEX GX-1000, 1000W 80+ Gold, ATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 Ready Power Supply.
4x  - Solidigm P41 Plus 2TB M.2 2280 PCIe 4.0 NVMe Gen4 Internal Solid State Drive.

I need to keep the budget to under $1600.00 for these items. The other items I  already have, like the RTX 4070ti.

Posted (edited)

I decided on three 2TB SAMSUNG 980 PROM.2 PCIx 4.0 SSD with Heatsink & one 1TB SAMSUNG 980 PRO PCIx 4.0  SSD with Heatsink.

They seem to be among the fastest and are also reliable into the future.

So I will be back on 7 Days to Die sometime in August. I hope the last Alpha caters to base building and not so much on looting and other screwing around. I am also looking looking forward to the Teragon map gen app. I will like to see a VM with 8 Cores and 32GB RAM and Windows 10 using just E-Cores and bench-marking the PC during creation for the fun of it.

Thanks again guys.

Posted (edited)
9 hours ago, ElCabong said:

What resolution are you running the game in?

1080 until I go 4K on my TV.

I do not have TV or streaming devices, Its just my PC in the other room (computer room) with cables going in to the living room. I have a small TV/Monitor that is also 1080 in my computer room, but I only use it to go into bios as needed. I have to have only 1 HDMI cable to the living room to do anything like Windows install or bios type things, in the living room.

So until I get a 4K TV I am stuck at 1080.

In case your wondering about the RTX470ti, I already have the card for about a year or so. Yes it may be overkill for 1080 but I do not plan on getting another video card soon (within the next 5 years probably). My GTX 1080 is in my backup PC but it makes no difference seeing how the darn RTX 4070ti is just stuck in closet for now.

14 hours ago, bobrpggamer said:

1080 until I go 4K on my TV.

I do not have TV or streaming devices, Its just my PC in the other room (computer room) with cables going in to the living room. I have a small TV/Monitor that is also 1080 in my computer room, but I only use it to go into bios as needed. I have to have only 1 HDMI cable to the living room to do anything like Windows install or bios type things, in the living room.

So until I get a 4K TV I am stuck at 1080.

In case your wondering about the RTX470ti, I already have the card for about a year or so. Yes it may be overkill for 1080 but I do not plan on getting another video card soon (within the next 5 years probably). My GTX 1080 is in my backup PC but it makes no difference seeing how the darn RTX 4070ti is just stuck in closet for now.

You should be able to play anything with the rig you have. Just might need to adjust settings on some games.

Posted (edited)
12 hours ago, ElCabong said:

You should be able to play anything with the rig you have. Just might need to adjust settings on some games.

I am hoping so. The games I want to try (other than this game) are S.T.A.L.K.E.R. 2: Heart of Chernobyl, Dead Island 2 and Mount and Blade Bannerlord.

I tried to do a complete Indirect lighting on the third floor of my base. I was looking forward to showing off the effect in a video, but It stuttered way too much with all the electric lights on at one time to make a video to show. So I bought a RTX 4070ti and after I did a clean install my computer did not start and after being patent and trying to start again I eventually gave up and had a $800.00 video card with no decent PC to put it in.

My PC was constantly having trouble starting, taking up to 10 power button clicks. I really should have tried a single 2 pin cable to start of the motherboard and find out if the case is the problem, but I just stuck with the constant button pressing until it powered om. Well this last time it never came on again.

20 hours ago, bobrpggamer said:

I am hoping so. The games I want to try (other than this game) are S.T.A.L.K.E.R. 2: Heart of Chernobyl, Dead Island 2 and Mount and Blade Bannerlord.

I tried to do a complete Indirect lighting on the third floor of my base. I was looking forward to showing off the effect in a video, but It stuttered way too much with all the electric lights on at one time to make a video to show. So I bought a RTX 4070ti and after I did a clean install my computer did not start and after being patent and trying to start again I eventually gave up and had a $800.00 video card with no decent PC to put it in.

My PC was constantly having trouble starting, taking up to 10 power button clicks. I really should have tried a single 2 pin cable to start of the motherboard and find out if the case is the problem, but I just stuck with the constant button pressing until it powered om. Well this last time it never came on again.

you do not need any cables to start your pc from MB. a screwdriver would do as it is just a momentary shortening of 2 pins that is required to start it up.

Posted (edited)
On 6/22/2024 at 4:04 PM, Vampirenostra said:

you do not need any cables to start your pc from MB. a screwdriver would do as it is just a momentary shortening of 2 pins that is required to start it up.

Either way I wished I would have tried it. I did buy a new MSI Power Supply with the 16 pin PCI Express cable and that did not work either.

I may have fried the MOBO accidentally by not unplugging the cord when I was trying to start it( in absolute complete frustration). I was  trying all sorts of things including putting in my older GTX 1080 and pulling out other PCI Express cards  After a while of on/off tries I watched the MOBO give out one last quick onboard light flash and that was it.

While I am here I was going to ask if a certain internal cable would work before I purchased it. I love this cable Here because I have 5 3.5" hard drives, so it would work perfectly. The problem that I see is that this is the only SATA drive cable I could find that would support 5 dives off one SATA Power Supply port. I cannot even find one that is 4pin Molex. So my question is. Can one SATA power supply connector supply enough juice to run 5 SATA drives. It seems unlikly and I do not want problems with my drives in the future.

16 hours ago, bobrpggamer said:

Either way I wished I would have tried it. I did buy a new MSI Power Supply with the 16 pin PCI Express cable and that did not work either.

I may have fried the MOBO accidentally by not unplugging the cord when I was trying to start it( in absolute complete frustration). I was  trying all sorts of things including putting in my older GTX 1080 and pulling out other PCI Express cards  After a while of on/off tries I watched the MOBO give out one last quick onboard light flash and that was it.

While I am here I was going to ask if a certain internal cable would work before I purchased it. I love this cable Here because I have 5 3.5" hard drives, so it would work perfectly. The problem that I see is that this is the only SATA drive cable I could find that would support 5 dives off one SATA Power Supply port. I cannot even find one that is 4pin Molex. So my question is. Can one SATA power supply connector supply enough juice to run 5 SATA drives. It seems unlikly and I do not want problems with my drives in the future.

Something is wrong with the board for sure, if it doesn't light up when plugged in, but who can say what in particular without "sniffing" the board ?

Did you try a different psu with minimum load possible (mean single HDD/ssd, integrated graphics/low card, no pci/other modules whatsoever, single ram stick)?

Regarding the sata cables - you should see to psu manual to see the max output of the lane for the cable you use and compare it to total usage by the drives you are about to hang on it as your experience may vary😁. Personally never had to hand like 5 drives on a single cable, most I did was 3 and those were not all HDDs, so it really depends.

Posted (edited)

Something is wrong with the board for sure, if it doesn't light up when plugged in, but who can say what in particular without "sniffing" the board ?

Did you try a different psu with minimum load possible (mean single HDD/ssd, integrated graphics/low card, no pci/other modules whatsoever, single ram stick)?

I was so @%$#ed off that I was not thinking things through. I had just ran benchmarks on my GTX 1080 and copied the results, I then put in the massive RTX 470ti and at first it did not take, but after a few tries it was online. So I did a fresh install and got drivers loaded and decided to put the case upright, so I turned it off, and then tried turn it back on when I put it on the computer cart to run benchmarks. As excited as I was to see the thing perform, you can imagine how really @%$#ed off I was when I tried turning the thing on 50 or more times.

You can imagine a guy that bought a 3dfx Voodoo 5 back when is was a fortune, I think it was over $400.00, and that was an insane amount of money to upgrade my crappy Diamond generic card with S3 Graphic. I Was almost as excited as buying the Geforce II, upgrading then from the TNT II I had. I was upgrading a GTX 1080 to a RTX 4070ti monster that takes 3 slots and was 4 generations of video cards apart!

This did give me the excuse to upgrade my Core i7 9700k, which is cool  in the long run I suppose, Just had to wait about a year or so. Also the 9700k would have been a bottleneck with a RTX 470ti anyway.

BTW, thank you for replying to my post, which I suppose got a bit ridiculous now.

On 6/27/2024 at 6:19 AM, bobrpggamer said:

I was so @%$#ed off that I was not thinking things through. I had just ran benchmarks on my GTX 1080 and copied the results, I then put in the massive RTX 470ti and at first it did not take, but after a few tries it was online. So I did a fresh install and got drivers loaded and decided to put the case upright, so I turned it off, and then tried turn it back on when I put it on the computer cart to run benchmarks. As excited as I was to see the thing perform, you can imagine how really @%$#ed off I was when I tried turning the thing on 50 or more times.

You can imagine a guy that bought a 3dfx Voodoo 5 back when is was a fortune, I think it was over $400.00, and that was an insane amount of money to upgrade my crappy Diamond generic card with S3 Graphic. I Was almost as excited as buying the Geforce II, upgrading then from the TNT II I had. I was upgrading a GTX 1080 to a RTX 4070ti monster that takes 3 slots and was 4 generations of video cards apart!

This did give me the excuse to upgrade my Core i7 9700k, which is cool  in the long run I suppose, Just had to wait about a year or so. Also the 9700k would have been a bottleneck with a RTX 470ti anyway.

BTW, thank you for replying to my post, which I suppose got a bit ridiculous now.

Nothing to worry about. There a re plenty of us, old enthusiasts))

My first non s3 trio was Voodoo Rush in 97. Than  GeForce 256 dropped by, than a Geforce 260 GTX, in a while another 260 GTX to add into a sli, than a 460 GTX somewhere around release of 7XX GTX series and speed it out for a 560 GTX which lasted me until 2017. Since than im a Mac Pro user 😁. The only time I was really excited and nervous about the metal was somewhere in 92-94 when  the only source for games was a bag of floppies and some friends studying CS in university, so each travel to their campus and back was like walking the minefield as you could return home from a trip that took you the whole day and end up with few floppies unreadable or having damaged archives 😁.

And yes, your 9700k is still a nice horse to run.

Posted (edited)

It was the 9700K on the Gigabyte motherboard  that died, so I decided sell it off for money to buy a new system, the one on the first post I hope to build.

I have never gone 3 generation of video card before, so that is the bummer with the new 4700ti and not being able to benchmark it and it sitting in the closet. Going from the GrForce II to the Geforce 4200 and so on every 2 generations until the GTX 1080 and that was it for some reason, I jut stopped getting excited about video cards.

I would rather go with 7800X3D and 32 6000Mhz gigs of RAM.

RTX4080 or 7900XTX instead of 4070ti.

Separate 512 gb nvme for OS and software.

Fast 2TB for games and other utilities.

HDD for downloads, music, video, and photos.

Is it a gaming machine or what?