Alpha 22/1.0 dev stream stuff

3 hours ago, MechanicalLens said:

I just genuinely hope that the stats between items has been balanced for 1.0. In A21 current, the difference between a blue shotgun and a purple is completely negligent. Something needs to change (if it hasn't already) to where if you encounter a very rare purple, you should exclaim with surprise, instead of noticing that the stats are 5% better than the blue and just shrug it off.

Loot tables also need to be adjusted. Purples should be more rare in loot (aside from primitive items?), and end-game loot tables shouldn't exclusively contain T3 quality level 6 items, in my opinion. :)

But yeah, TFP need to wean themself off the "legendary" term. It's like how they still, to this day, call the gyrocopter a "helicopter".

It sounds like finding Q6 items will be very rare compared to today, though we will see if that is actually true. 

I don't think they can really make Q6 significantly better than Q5 because the game isn't balanced for such an increase and is already extremely easy when you have Q6 unless you are at very high difficulty.  They would just be too OP if raised much over what they are at now unless they add another tier of enemies.

Just now, Riamus said:

It sounds like finding Q6 items will be very rare compared to today, though we will see if that is actually true. 

I don't think they can really make Q6 significantly better than Q5 because the game isn't balanced for such an increase and is already extremely easy when you have Q6 unless you are at very high difficulty.  They would just be too OP if raised much over what they are at now unless they add another tier of enemies.

They could always scale everything else down to make more room for purple items.

1 minute ago, MechanicalLens said:

They could always scale everything else down to make more room for purple items.

As it is, low level stuff isn't worth using. Lowering those will just make people skip them all the more.  I think they are fine as they are.  If they aren't going to be real legendary items and are just another tier, then they didn't deserve any special treatment, imo.

2 minutes ago, Riamus said:

As it is, low level stuff isn't worth using. Lowering those will just make people skip them all the more.  I think they are fine as they are.  If they aren't going to be real legendary items and are just another tier, then they didn't deserve any special treatment, imo.

In that case, the point of a legendary crafting component is useless. :) If there's not going to be a noticeable jump, and the amount of mod slots is the same, it's just another quality level. A legendary item isn't legendary purely in name alone.

4 hours ago, Adam the Waster said:

I mean we got stuff like tazas stone axe.  So truly special weapons and or armor would be great. Like dukes coat, Noah's armor. 

Don't forget "Ol' Sod Buster" the legendary shovel.

4 hours ago, meganoth said:

Madmole was talking about designing special effects for legendary weapons and that they should be randomly assigned to the weap

Ol' Sod Buster returns 10x the number of grass clipping harvested when digging top soil.

1 hour ago, MechanicalLens said:

If there's not going to be a noticeable jump, and the amount of mod slots is the same, it's just another quality level. A legendary item isn't legendary purely in name alone.

I don't mind the damage progression holding. That makes sense to me. An extra mod slot would be nice, but I suspect we'll run out of mods for some items so I could see why it might not be possible. Just spit balling here ... what if you got the normal damage progression plus the bonus to damage as if there was another mod slot filled?

The ability for the player to name the legendary item sounds cool to me.

1 hour ago, MechanicalLens said:

A legendary item isn't legendary purely in name alone.

That's really the issue here, I think.  They call it legendary yet it is just another level of quality.  Most other games with legendary items have something special about them - they're very powerful, they have additional properties not found in normal items, they look unique, etc.  If they aren't going to do anything special with them, they shouldn't call them legendary, imo.  If they completely remove quality 6 from loot/rewards so that they can only be crafted, then I suppose that's enough to call them legendary... barely.  But if they do that, I'll definitely be modding them back in.  I don't want them forcing me to craft just to have the best equipment.

Edited by Riamus (see edit history)

5 minutes ago, Riamus said:

That's really the issue here, I think.  They call it legendary yet it is just another level of quality.  Most other games with legendary items have something special about them - they're very powerful, they have additional properties not found in normal items, they look unique, etc.  If they aren't going to do anything special with them, they shouldn't call them legendary, imo.  If they completely remove quality 6 from loot/rewards so that they can only be crafted, then I suppose that's enough to call them legendary... barely.  But if they do that, I'll definitely be modding them back in.  I don't want them forcing me to craft just to have the best equipment.

Thank you. Thank you. I had to remove my post from the subreddit because, 1) People were whining about glass jars again, 2) Some people think that 0.1% damage increase is deserving of legendary status, and 3) Quite a few people reminded me that children are starving in Africa and this is just a first world problem. Sorry I seem... plain and direct, I'm just mentally exhausted right now. Some people are just genuinely insufferable. lol

Edited by MechanicalLens (see edit history)

27 minutes ago, MechanicalLens said:

Thank you. Thank you. I had to remove my post from the subreddit because, 1) People were whining about glass jars again, 2) Some people think that 0.1% damage increase is deserving of legendary status, and 3) Quite a few people reminded me that children are starving in Africa and this is just a first world problem. Sorry I seem... plain and direct, I'm just mentally exhausted right now. Some people are just genuinely insufferable. lol

Lol.  That seems to be the way people are these days, more often than not (them, not you, just to be clear ;) ).

Edited by Riamus (see edit history)

The biggest problem with legendary items is probably finding ways to ensure they don't duplicate, which the current item system has no check for. I ran a mod which added rare pseudo-legendary items which was fun especially because you could find early game item bases which were late-game viable (like an AK comparable to a Q5 M60). Or a chainsaw which actually did useful zombie damage.

This to me was more interesting than just more-OP versions of existing endgame weapons.

I want to rework to mod to reduce the number of items but also tweak some other things, but not going to touch anything until after 1.0 comes out.

My feedback about the gameplay. I think it's good 

I love the new wasteland makeover!!! Looks great!!! And the new models look great. 

The bear and other animals weren't in but they will be added! 

But the bear did look smaller! Maybe we could get a black bear and brown bears!!! That would be neat! 

But the dismemberment with the explosives while funny. Does tank performance.  Maybe a setting to get rid of the limbs would be good for performance 

52 minutes ago, Adam the Waster said:

But the dismemberment with the explosives while funny. Does tank performance.  Maybe a setting to get rid of the limbs would be good for performance

You happen to have a timestamp for this? It is something I would like to know if they plan on improving. It's bad even in 21.2. You always know when a dismemberment is gonna happen due to the tiny freeze that happens when you click your weapon.

14 minutes ago, bdubyah said:

You happen to have a timestamp for this? It is something I would like to know if they plan on improving. It's bad even in 21.2. You always know when a dismemberment is gonna happen due to the tiny freeze that happens when you click your weapon.

https://youtube.com/clip/UgkxzmLbtptINGlEsT9USipr-B6LIluDjd9_?si=EJhuoIljgzMSTSp1

No it's not too bad I can imagine during The Horde night it could be pretty bad especially for consoles

Well, I'm sure they all have pretty decent PCs too, being devs and all. But I think it was in a recent G9 vid(maybe) that it still shows a noticeable stutter, especially on the Steve zombie for whatever reason. Just a little hitch. Seems to be the game loading in the decapped mesh or something. Hoping that is smoothed out in 1.0.