POIs contest

It would be cool if TFP had a contest with players where they make POIs with specific rules and the player base submits their work with pictures following the specifications of the size, the looks and whatever TFP would require. The winner of the best POI (s) gets included in the Navegane map and RG maps. 

6 minutes ago, warmer said:

I have a few ideas for much needed additions for specific biomes.

We don't currently have the ability to target specific biomes with RWG, but if you mean manual placement then rock on.

1 minute ago, zztong said:

We don't currently have the ability to target specific biomes with RWG, but if you mean manual placement then rock on.

I am more specifically talking about making additional remnants/broken POI that spawn like wilderness POI currently. We have only a handful of tiny POI that don't feel like remnants of an entire building, just 1 corner. I'd like to add multiple remnants chunks that give the feelings of a blown apart city for the wasteland, and proper burnt out city blocks for burnt forest. 

Those can be keyed to spawn in specific biomes in the xml files.

2 minutes ago, warmer said:

I am more specifically talking about making additional remnants/broken POI that spawn like wilderness POI currently. We have only a handful of tiny POI that don't feel like remnants of an entire building, just 1 corner. I'd like to add multiple remnants chunks that give the feelings of a blown apart city for the wasteland, and proper burnt out city blocks for burnt forest. 

Those can be keyed to spawn in specific biomes in the xml files.

Ah yes, those are "Decorations" built in the Prefab Editor in the same way as POIs. You're right, that is certainly possible.

Less clear to me, as somebody who has made Decorations, is how large a Decoration can be. I know @stallionsden has made larger Decorations and probably found some technical and/or practical limit. TFP's building remnant Decorations tend to have a footprint of something like 8x8.

18 minutes ago, zztong said:

@stallionsden TFP's building remnant Decorations tend to have a footprint of something like 8x8.

Ahhh 8x8 is pretty tiny, but you could make it work, the way the remnants are now just feels like they sliced off a corner and roughed up the edges. I'll have to experiment with the level of detail I can get with 8x8 footprint.

Ideally I'd like some tag on all POI that can be enabled to select specific biomes for spawn. I feel like way back in early alphas we had proper burnt forest POI, and now I don't run into them often.

Having that tag would open up so many possibilities for themed random locations

Edited by warmer (see edit history)

1 hour ago, warmer said:

Ahhh 8x8 is pretty tiny, but you could make it work, the way the remnants are now just feels like they sliced off a corner and roughed up the edges. I'll have to experiment with the level of detail I can get with 8x8 footprint.

Ideally I'd like some tag on all POI that can be enabled to select specific biomes for spawn. I feel like way back in early alphas we had proper burnt forest POI, and now I don't run into them often.

Having that tag would open up so many possibilities for themed random locations

I know Stallionsden made larger Decorations. I just don't remember at what point he ran into complications.

One thing I have seen is a Decoration being placed on top of another Decoration. One of my Decorations is the remnants of a small horde base. Sometimes RWG will place a tree in it, which kind of works, really.

I'm told there used to be a feature where we could specify the biome for a POI in the POI's XML. I don't know if that worked with Decorations since Decorations are already biome specific and in the biomes.xml file.

1 hour ago, zztong said:

Ah yes, those are "Decorations" built in the Prefab Editor in the same way as POIs. You're right, that is certainly possible.

Less clear to me, as somebody who has made Decorations, is how large a Decoration can be. I know @stallionsden has made larger Decorations and probably found some technical and/or practical limit. TFP's building remnant Decorations tend to have a footprint of something like 8x8.

I asked before what the max size was and was told 30x30, though I don't remember who told that to me.  When I did some testing in the past, I found that larger decorations are less likely to get placed than smaller ones, so it's usually best to stick to smaller footprints.  But you do have some extra space available if you need bigger than the normal 8x8 size.

3 hours ago, zztong said:

Yes 30x30 is the max Deco size biome.xml can handle hard coded. I believe it was done for the likes of cutting into hills and mountains etc if it got bigger then that depending where it would spawn. 

Yeh biome deco you place the deco in the biome you want it to spawn easily enough. as for the rest well we can only hope tfp add that option to the pois themselves for biome control. Yes there was a way prior to a20 to do it but not a20 onwards in vanilla. allowedbiomes property the line was back in a19 and prior tho no longer functions

Edited by stallionsden (see edit history)

6 hours ago, Riamus said:

I asked before what the max size was and was told 30x30, though I don't remember who told that to me.  When I did some testing in the past, I found that larger decorations are less likely to get placed than smaller ones, so it's usually best to stick to smaller footprints.  But you do have some extra space available if you need bigger than the normal 8x8 size.

30x30 is plenty big for what I'd like to do.

I think you could make a new sub biome within wasteland and burnt forest by assigning a new set of rules bombed city and burned out towns.

<!-- *** Wasteland: City Sub Biome: Urban -->
        <subbiome prob="0.142">

Now both of those biomes are fairly homogenous and the city sub biomes would really spice that up.

Question for anyone that understands the XML spawn order. Does the order affect the spawn placement? ie, if I put "prefabs" above "blocks

<decoration type="prefab" name="deco_remnant_stone_01" prob=".003"/>
<decoration type="block" blockname="cinderBlocks01" prob=".006" rotatemax="7"/>

Will the prefab role a prob for placement first, and the block later to fill gaps, or is the order predetermine by the decoration type?

If the order matters, you can force more large "prefabs" to spawn by placing smaller "blocks" below in the list.

This is with an exaggerated spawn of prefabs/cars. Less like a bombed city
image.thumb.png.53fee6d2ff416124cc6f26a8fe62a6e7.png

On 4/3/2024 at 8:15 PM, warmer said:

Will the prefab role a prob for placement first, and the block later to fill gaps, or is the order predetermine by the decoration type?
If the order matters, you can force more large "prefabs" to spawn by placing smaller "blocks" below in the list.

I don't know how it picks. I've been assuming it adds up all the probability numbers then generates a number between 0 and that. Or, you could look at it as putting a probability number of chips in a bag and drawing one.

I'm not sure a larger placement blocks smaller placements. I've seen some of my decorations end up with trees in them. I've sometimes wondered if it is going block by block and checking to see if it feels like putting a decoration there.

I don't really know and I've not tried to look at code for it.