Bang For Your Bucket: An alternate early-game water system - playtesters wanted!

FramFramson

spacer.png

For those looking for a different, and perhaps more sensible start for water-gathering in 7D, this mod shifts early game water sustainment away from the dew collector and instead towards in-world water sources, such as rivers, ponds, culverts, etc. It should also (in theory) encourage exploration and a more active playstyle, and tie you less to the trader.

If you use a bucket to obtain water from water blocks, you now have the option to boil those full buckets of water at the campfire to get clean drinking water. You can get as much water as you can find, carry, and boil! More buckets = more water per trip. Due to limitations on campfire output, the recipe comes out as a bundle; open it to retrieve your bucket and three jars of potable water.

This is supported by several additional changes:

- Buckets have been made far more available at both the traders and more common in loot, with the intent of making them roughly as easy to obtain as cooking pots. Try your luck searching likely places like sinks, garages, janitor's carts, fire trucks, and farms!

- You can obtain water from snow as well, with a recipe for both buckets and cooking pots. For balance, the recipe is lossy, but putting points into Master Chef will reduce the recipe cost.

- Water Filters have not been removed entirely, but are now a late-game convenience item (still trader-only), they also cost quite a bit more now!

The Helmet Water Purifier mod is unchanged, as that item's balance should remain unaffected by this modlet; as with vanilla, it makes it easy to stay hydrated, but provides no water for other purposes.

Potential changes/additions in future:

- Re-enabling water filters as quest rewards later into the game (Likely T3 & up).

Link: Bang For Your Bucket

A few notes for playtesters:

- The bucket system should take work, but it should also be fairly forgiving and flexible in that you can choose how much time and effort you dedicate to getting water... unless you spawn in a desert of course! It might be mildly tedious early, but once you get multiple buckets things should ease up, since even one boiled bucket will give as much water as a dew collector would in a full day.

- As mentioned, buckets should be fairly common, so please let me know if they're significantly harder to get than cooking pots.

Credits:

Silver Magister for the original Bucket of Boiled Water mod (which this is based on), BFT2020 and Sphereii for extensive help with the xml

Changelog:

- v1.2 - Fixed snow recipe Master Chef discount not working for jar recipe, lowered spawning of buckets somewhat.

- v1.1 - Corrected several errors, and added two snow-to-water recipes.

Edited by FramFramson (see edit history)

Did a quick load and I saw some mod load errors.  Here is some feedback:

ModInfo throws up a huge error for line 5 - Description.  To make it load up properly, I removed everything you had for line 5 and just put in

<Description value="Water changes" />

That allowed it to load properly.  You might have a hidden character in your description somewhere, I didn't dive that deep into it.

items file

This

<setattribute xpath="//item[@name='resourceWaterFilter']/@EconomicValue">7500</setattribute>

should be

<set xpath="//item[@name='resourceWaterFilter']/property[@name='EconomicValue']">7500</set>

In your recipes file, you forgot to have <config> at the start and </config> at the end

For quests, I answered your question in the discussion thread just now so you can modify your code to remove the water filters as quest rewards.

• FramFramson changed the title to Bang For Your Bucket: An alternate early-game water system - playtesters wanted!

I had not visited the MODs forum in a while, and missed this.  I am glad it was referenced in the General section :).

I will try it out, but it may be a couple of weeks before I can really roll with it.

Thank you for the effort and will advise.

2 hours ago, Rotor said:

I had not visited the MODs forum in a while, and missed this.  I am glad it was referenced in the General section :).

I will try it out, but it may be a couple of weeks before I can really roll with it.

Thank you for the effort and will advise.

All good, thanks!

It's recipes.xml

Anyway, some very basic feedback (only at the very start of Day 2, 2 hours days) is that buckets are perhaps too common.  I've looted 2 POIs plus whatever random cars/trash I've come across, and I've already looted 9 or 10 buckets (I started scrapping them, so I'm not entirely certain exactly how many.)

Obviously not a large enough sample size to say anything with certainty, but reducing how common buckets are by 50% (or even 80%) would make more sense and be more balanced in my initial impression.

1 hour ago, Vaeliorin said:

It's recipes.xml

Anyway, some very basic feedback (only at the very start of Day 2, 2 hours days) is that buckets are perhaps too common.  I've looted 2 POIs plus whatever random cars/trash I've come across, and I've already looted 9 or 10 buckets (I started scrapping them, so I'm not entirely certain exactly how many.)

Obviously not a large enough sample size to say anything with certainty, but reducing how common buckets are by 50% (or even 80%) would make more sense and be more balanced in my initial impression.

Since they're available from traders, I can actually err on the side of them being too rare rather than too common, but ha! Here I was worried about them being too rare! This is good, this is the sort of thing I'm trying to get a handle on.

I'll have a look at the recipes file, and maybe push an update out shortly.

Okay, hm, here's my recipes.xml

Line 21 corresponds with the first instance of "passive_effect", which I do close with a />

Anyone able to see what I might be doing wrong here?

<config>
	<append xpath="/recipes">
		<recipe name="bucketRiverWaterCooking" count="1" craft_area="campfire" craft_time = "120">
			<ingredient name="bucketRiverWater" count="1"/>
		</recipe>
	</append>

<!-- water from snow -->
		<recipe name="bucketRiverWater" count="1" craft_area="campfire" craft_time = "120" tags="perkMasterChef">
				<ingredient name="bucketEmpty" count="1"/>	
				<ingredient name="resourceSnowBall" count="12"/>
				<effect_group>
				<passive_effect name="CraftingIngredientCount" level="1,3" operation="base_add" value="-3,-6" tags="resourceSnowBall"/>
				</effect_group>
		</recipe>
	</append>
		<recipe name="drinkJarBoiledWater" count="1" craft_area="campfire" craft_time="30" craft_tool="toolCookingPot" tags="perkMasterChef">
			<ingredient name="resourceSnowBall" count="4"/>
			<passive_effect name="CraftingIngredientCount" level="1,3" operation="base_add" value="-1,-2" tags="resourceSnowBall"/>
			</effect_group>
		</recipe>
	</append>

</config>

As I understand that code, those lines are meant to provide for recipe cost reduction with ranks in Master Chef.

• 3 months later...

Appreciate this mod a lot. Pairs very nicely with the Murkey Dew modlet from a different creator.

Only note is that buckets are way too common. I'm drowning in them. They give a pretty sizeable chunk of iron when scrapped, so this makes iron much easier to get in earlygame. I might suggest restricting them to only spawning in sinks and on Janitor carts?

Just curious, but I've unlocked T6 quests with Hugh, have 4 points in Daring Adventurer, and I still haven't seen any water filters for sale.  Are they locked behind something more than that, or have I just been very unlucky?

6 hours ago, Vaeliorin said:

Just curious, but I've unlocked T6 quests with Hugh, have 4 points in Daring Adventurer, and I still haven't seen any water filters for sale.  Are they locked behind something more than that, or have I just been very unlucky?

Might be unlucky, but the perk which unlocks better quality goods from traders is Better barter; Daring Adventurer unlocks better quest rewards. I generally see the occasional filter at Better Barter 3.

On 4/27/2024 at 10:49 AM, Teacyn said:

Appreciate this mod a lot. Pairs very nicely with the Murkey Dew modlet from a different creator.

Only note is that buckets are way too common. I'm drowning in them. They give a pretty sizeable chunk of iron when scrapped, so this makes iron much easier to get in earlygame. I might suggest restricting them to only spawning in sinks and on Janitor carts?

Yeah, with a few extra points in looting or a big multiplayer it can get excessive. Some people like it because they want buckets like they used to want jars - in large quantities, some don't. Might put together an alternate version with lower spawn rates.

That said, you can also just edit the lines in the .xml yourself. Just open the loot.xml and delete the lines for dumpsters or wherever else you feel they don't fit. I actually seem to get the majority of my found buckets from sinks though, so you may or may not want to alter the odds for that.

20 minutes ago, FramFramson said:

Might be unlucky, but the perk which unlocks better quality goods from traders is Better barter; Daring Adventurer unlocks better quest rewards. I generally see the occasional filter at Better Barter 3.

I've also got Better Barter 5.  But A22 changed it so Daring Adventurer increases your Trader Stage, Better Barter just gets you better buying/selling prices.

Working on getting Jen up (unlocked level 4 quests.)

It's not really a big deal, I have plenty of water.  I've got 10 buckets whenever I want more (I've scrapped every other bucket I've found) so it's not really an issue.  Just wondering if maybe something I was/wasn't doing was effecting my ability to find Water Filters

Edited by Vaeliorin (see edit history)

30 minutes ago, Vaeliorin said:

I've also got Better Barter 5.  But A22 changed it so Daring Adventurer increases your Trader Stage, Better Barter just gets you better buying/selling prices.

Working on getting Jen up (unlocked level 4 quests.)

It's not really a big deal, I have plenty of water.  I've got 10 buckets whenever I want more (I've scrapped every other bucket I've found) so it's not really an issue.  Just wondering if maybe something I was/wasn't doing was effecting my ability to find Water Filters

Yeah, not sure in that case. It could be something funny going on (possibly another mod interaction), but they're rare enough that it could just be really bad luck.