A conversation I just had with M$ new AI

ElCabong

how much graphics memory Is on the next generation play station (I thought Shure this would be especially easy for it)

The PlayStation 5 is equipped with 16GB of GDDR6 memory 1. However, I could not find any information on the graphics memory of the next generation PlayStation. Is there anything else I can help you with?

Google's AI found the answer

I apologize for the confusion. I am not aware of the context of the conversation you had with Google’s AI. However, I can tell you that the PlayStation 5 is equipped with 16GB of GDDR6 memory . Is there anything else I can help you with?

It seems to me that the hardware requirements for games is driven by the platforms. So when I was speccing out my new rig, I wanted the same amount of graphics memory that the next generation of play station had.  I was getting nowhere, with answers just like Bing until I accidently got into Google's AI  test and  it game right back with 10GB of graphics memory.

That's scary in two ways. One, it found it. Two, How it know that? Of course, I couldn't verify it, I tried.  Ten is plausible, I went with  that.

I'm going to see how 7 days to die runs on a rig that is significantly better than core I5 with a GTX 970.

If you're curious, I am using a RX7800 XT with 18GB of memory. It's an 8 core 7800X3d cpu

I think I heard the PS5 is sharing its main memory between CPU and GPU just like a laptop, and an answer on quora.com seems to say the same.

So, supposing that guy on quora and I were right, then theoretically the GPU can address 16G of RAM. But practically the operating system and the game need space too, (and that same guy says the OS takes 4 G), so now you have max 12G RAM left. Now subtract what the game itself needs and THAT is effectively the RAM the GPU has left.

Edited by meganoth (see edit history)

2 hours ago, meganoth said:

I think I heard the PS5 is sharing its main memory between CPU and GPU just like a laptop, and an answer on quora.com seems to say the same.

So, supposing that guy on quora and I were right, then theoretically the GPU can address 16G of RAM. But practically the operating system and the game need space too, (and that same guy says the OS takes 4 G), so now you have max 12G RAM left. Now subtract what the game itself needs and THAT is effectively the RAM the GPU has left.

That is plausible.  I got a graphics card that had more than 10 because I had no way of being sure.

Edited by ElCabong (see edit history)

PS 5 uses a Zen2 CPU with RNDA2 and 16GB Ram. Similar to the Ryzen 4000 i guess. Looking at the release date it could be 5000 series aswell. 

What the PS6 will have is impossible to say now. We may have a complete new CPU architecture by then. At least Intel should have something, looking at the generational "increase" for Intel´s 14th Gen at least Intel should come up with something.

Also not sure how much the X3D Cache can do for future AMD CPU´s.

Going with a 7800XT wasn´t a bad decision. I would say to be a bit future proof you should have 10GB for FHD, 12GB for 1440p and as much as you can get for 4K.

I would have bought one too, but my old 1070 gave up last year when the GPU prices were still high af and i got a RX6600XT. Could get a RX7800XT for the same now. For now not a problem as i am playing on 1080p, but there is already games that need the full 8GB of VRAM.

Edited by pApA^LeGBa (see edit history)

4 hours ago, pApA^LeGBa said:

PS 5 uses a Zen2 CPU with RNDA2 and 16GB Ram. Similar to the Ryzen 4000 i guess. Looking at the release date it could be 5000 series aswell. 

What the PS6 will have is impossible to say now. We may have a complete new CPU architecture by then. At least Intel should have something, looking at the generational "increase" for Intel´s 14th Gen at least Intel should come up with something.

Also not sure how much the X3D Cache can do for future AMD CPU´s.

Going with a 7800XT wasn´t a bad decision. I would say to be a bit future proof you should have 10GB for FHD, 12GB for 1440p and as much as you can get for 4K.

I would have bought one too, but my old 1070 gave up last year when the GPU prices were still high af and i got a RX6600XT. Could get a RX7800XT for the same now. For now not a problem as i am playing on 1080p, but there is already games that need the full 8GB of VRAM.

There's a lot of discussion on the X3D cash. I figured it wouldn't hurt. I use a 1080i terminal. It's over configured for what I'm doing now. As long as everything keeps working I won't have to mess with this system until I buy the next one.

Edited by ElCabong (see edit history)