A21 Dart Trap set to shoot upward

Yallaen

I can't find information on this topic:

I have a column with ladders on 3 sides. Zombies climb to top, jump off and attempt to land on my small walkway. 95% they miss or fall off, and recycle.

I have darttraps buried at the base of each ladder facing upward. Obviously, if I turn on the power to them, they fire constantly. How do I have them be triggered to fire only when a zombie starts climbing the ladder? You can't put the trigger plate on the dart trap obviously. Thanks in advance for suggestions/tips!

25 minutes ago, Yallaen said:

I have a column with ladders on 3 sides. Zombies climb to top, jump off and attempt to land on my small walkway. 95% they miss or fall off, and recycle.

I have darttraps buried at the base of each ladder facing upward. Obviously, if I turn on the power to them, they fire constantly. How do I have them be triggered to fire only when a zombie starts climbing the ladder? You can't put the trigger plate on the dart trap obviously. Thanks in advance for suggestions/tips!

Use a motion sensor to trigger the dart trap.

So where would I put the motion sensor? I would need 3 for each dart trap, correct? I don't want the trap activating just because there are zombies in the area...it should only fire when they are climbing the ladder. Would it be better to take a screenshot to show you?

You can also try using a trip wire if you want more precision, but needs to be position carefully so it doesn't get destroyed easily.  I had a horde base where I used one (camera started the dart traps too early).  I eventually lost it to an exploding cop, but my backup was to directly connect it to power when that happened.

Optimally, a trip wire, one end buried right underneath the dart trap, and the other end two-three blocks above the end of the ladder (to leave the path open). This way the trip wire follows and covers the exact path of the darts.

The bottom one is protected by default, protecting the top one might be tricky depending on your build. But it should be sort-of out of the way anyway, doesn't sound like too many spits are going that way..?

I reached out to Tem directly, and he said to look into trigger plate and/or trip wires.

Since I'm almost to Day 70 in this one, I tend to recycle and start over after Day 70, like the content creators. So, I will see how the tripwires work for this setup, and adjust accordingly.

Thanks all for the tips/suggestions! And I started looking thru Hope Radio, couldn't find it and got side-tracked. I'll go directly to Episode 6 as suggested and review.

On 10/23/2023 at 8:07 AM, Yallaen said:

You can do motion sensors as someone else has mentioned or you can run a trip wire across the ladder w/ the trigger sent to "instant" with a time of "activated" or 1-2 seconds.

Motion sensors have the disadvantage of trigger to EVERYTHING they see, so the dart trap will fire even if nothing is on the ladder itself (unless you rig it in such a way it is looking at the ladder from a vantage point behind the zombies).

A trip wire can be mounted on the wall at least and it is low enough to the surface that anything going up the ladder should trigger it. Although it has the same weakness as an electric fence that it can burn out after getting triggered enough times and it is rather easy to break if a cop or radvulture spits on it, or the cop explodes near it (or worse a demolisher).