Food visible in hand

AngryMiner5704

This used to be a thing in previous versions with all the canned foods, and I specifically remember it in Alpha 16 with the Meat Stew and Blueberry Pie, but are the different textures for different foods in your hand going to come back? That was legitimately a major reason I stuck with Alpha 16 for the entirely of A17's lifespan because I don't like that all the foods are now just the "parcel." I'd love for this to come back, even if with a relatively limited number of foods at first.

yes if you ask me the whole eating/drinking animation itself is redundant in its current state.

I can see why it's there (at least I guess, to add a "realistic" delay for you doing a thing, same as reloading a gun or putting on a bandage)

But on the other hand, then why isn't there a proper "hand grab to open a loot container" animation which takes some time, but instead just this little rotating icon.

So for a real immersion you're right, the only logic thing would be to add the correct specific graphics for each food/beverage.

Or else just leave it out completely.

This "universal placeholder" animation I also don't like very much, though I have to say your "parcel", to me it looks like delicious smoked glazed salmon, which is one of my favourites, so I really wouldn't mind eating this all the time 😄

yes you are right, it would probably be a ton of work for adding next to nothing to the game. Maybe a little more immersion yes, but probably not worth the effort.

Maybe some kind of animation could be figured out that doesn't really show anything specific when you eat/drink.

A hand grabbing into the backpack or something. That could be used universally, without showing a visual discrepancy between to hotbar/inventory item and stuff in the "hand to mouth animation".

...damn what am I saying, just leave it as it is, don't get rid of my salmon 😀

Really, this was a thing? Hm, maybe then it was at a very early alpha, when they only had a handful of different food types, and when variety was boosted up they decided to skip to the universal placeholder because they saw it wasn't worth the effort to model/animate all the new stuff.

I might have a wrong memory, but I can only remember the player held this brown little sack formerly (maybe this thing is what's referred as "parcel"?) 

• 4 months later...