Where are Cloud Saves?

Timewatch

Does anybody know when Cloud saves on Steam will be available I like to play this on my PC when at home and when commuting on my Steam Deck, and the only way currently to do this is to copy the files and transfer them between each device, which is a pain as PC is on Windows and Steam Deck on Linux.  I have spent so many hours playing this game but it is frustrating to have to transfer files every day.  After this many years, you would think cloud saves would be the norm as most games on Steam have Cloud saves as standard.

23 minutes ago, Timewatch said:

Does anybody know when Cloud saves on Steam will be available I like to play this on my PC when at home and when commuting on my Steam Deck, and the only way currently to do this is to copy the files and transfer them between each device, which is a pain as PC is on Windows and Steam Deck on Linux.  I have spent so many hours playing this game but it is frustrating to have to transfer files every day.  After this many years, you would think cloud saves would be the norm as most games on Steam have Cloud saves as standard.

The save files size for this game make it difficult to be saved on the cloud.  If they are able to reduce the size of the saved files, this might be an option in the future; but unavailable for now.

Steam has a pretty hard limit at 1GB for cloud data. Anything over something like 150MB is more expensive for the developer. 

Now consider that just a generated map file can get close to 1GB. that doesn't even include your save data for one game.

I just checked my save folder. Which was wiped near the beginning of this year. It's currently at 22.3GB. 

Cloud saves for large data just aren't feasible. Especially for users on low-end computers or with limited bandwidth.

That said, you could just assign the save folder to a service like OneDrive. You might still need to manually sync the data, but it's either that or sneaker-net with a USB stick.

Not sure where you have got your size file data from as the files I copy between PC and Steam Deck are only around 360MB, which includes all the required data to pick up and play on both systems.  Currently the save folder contains 6 folders and 989 files, so cloud saves should be no issue whatsoever, yes they may have to pay a little more due to size being over 150MB. but based on the amount they have made from this still being in Alpha, it is not a big ask.    I am currently on day 101 on Alpha 21.1 and have 4 bases plus a hoard base each containing thousands of items I have collected or crafted.  

10 hours ago, Timewatch said:

Not sure where you have got your size file data from as the files I copy between PC and Steam Deck are only around 360MB, which includes all the required data to pick up and play on both systems.  Currently the save folder contains 6 folders and 989 files,

Umm, I have 3 generated 8k worlds on my system, each at 278 MB. Total 800.. that's just the worlds, no save data yet.

On 8/7/2023 at 10:36 PM, SylenThunder said:

Steam has a pretty hard limit at 1GB for cloud data. Anything over something like 150MB is more expensive for the developer. 

Now consider that just a generated map file can get close to 1GB. that doesn't even include your save data for one game.

I just checked my save folder. Which was wiped near the beginning of this year. It's currently at 22.3GB. 

Cloud saves for large data just aren't feasible. Especially for users on low-end computers or with limited bandwidth.

That said, you could just assign the save folder to a service like OneDrive. You might still need to manually sync the data, but it's either that or sneaker-net with a USB stick.

What? You still on an older version? The heck you have in your saved folder?

A new save for day one evening is 22MB. A map with 8K is 265MB.

Edited by pApA^LeGBa (see edit history)

Even with these lower numbers, how many worlds and saves do you have?  What is "normal"?  Even 1 world/save will be over the 150MB mark and when you have more, you can quickly reach Steam's limit.

In A21, I currently have 5 saves that are 663MB total and 203MB in 5 local saves.  That doesn't include the worlds.  I have 3 generated worlds that are 1.17GB total.

In A20, I had 2.22GB in saves and 5.45GB in generated worlds.  Plus another 983MB in local saves.  (I still have them saved so it's easy to get these numbers)

It is very easy to have too much for cloud saves.