Places you've gotten permanently trapped?

raketemensch

To be clear, this isn't a complaint. It's weirdly immersive.

I got to what I believe was the very last mob in Higashi Pharmaceutical and was maybe 4 or 5 shotgun shells short of survival. Even with Pummel Pete 5 and maxed club speed I couldn't survive.

So, I spawned near my backpack, gathered enough wood to make a level 5 club and fought my way back into the building. Everything went fine until I mis-stepped in the elevator shaft and plummeted to the bottom. There's a broken hole on one side of the shaft, but I can't fit through it even locked into a crouch. There's a ladder heading up, but it's broken at the top. I managed to break the broken piece off with my club, but it wore the club down to almost nothing and I have no wood to repair it. I could possibly jump to the next section of ladder up the shaft, but it also has a broken piece at the bottom that would need to be removed, and I don't have the materials to repair the club or anything to break it.

Also, the last time I tried to climb up there I fell and broke my leg.

This could potentially be stupidly frustrating, but story-wise it's kind of amazing -- I fell down an elevator shaft after the apocalypse and broke my leg, and now I can't climb out. I'm stuck here and starving and my only solution is suicide.

4 minutes ago, raketemensch said:

To be clear, this isn't a complaint. It's weirdly immersive.

I got to what I believe was the very last mob in Higashi Pharmaceutical and was maybe 4 or 5 shotgun shells short of survival. Even with Pummel Pete 5 and maxed club speed I couldn't survive.

So, I spawned near my backpack, gathered enough wood to make a level 5 club and fought my way back into the building. Everything went fine until I mis-stepped in the elevator shaft and plummeted to the bottom. There's a broken hole on one side of the shaft, but I can't fit through it even locked into a crouch. There's a ladder heading up, but it's broken at the top. I managed to break the broken piece off with my club, but it wore the club down to almost nothing and I have no wood to repair it. I could possibly jump to the next section of ladder up the shaft, but it also has a broken piece at the bottom that would need to be removed, and I don't have the materials to repair the club or anything to break it.

Also, the last time I tried to climb up there I fell and broke my leg.

This could potentially be stupidly frustrating, but story-wise it's kind of amazing -- I fell down an elevator shaft after the apocalypse and broke my leg, and now I can't climb out. I'm stuck here and starving and my only solution is suicide.

I always build a ladder beside that gap in the ladder so I can go down and get the loot (I'm not sure if the ammo chest is still there in A21) and continue the quest.  However, on the side of that shaft is a relatively easy to break spot (to the right if facing the ladder) that takes you back into the first floor.  I think that is the intended path is you go down the shaft instead of building a ladder but I always carry wood so the ladder is faster.

I think the only time I've been actually stuck is a bug that caused me to be stuck in a door at trader Jen in A21 experimental.  Even restarting didn't fix it so I had to teleport as I couldn't even break the door.  I could also have used God mode but I didn't think about it at the time.

Edited by Riamus (see edit history)

Back in A16.4 I was on a public server with a very large map.    I was somehow (without warning no less) magically thrown from my minibike while driving on a cliffside highway on my where to noweheresville.  I landed approximately a mile away, fell through the floor of the world, teleported back up to the surface, only to die and the game to crash in rapid succession.

I went back to get my bike and it had somehow been transported UNDER the highway blacktop and I had to dig it out with a stone shovel because my tools were stored inside the minibike.

Once I dug it out, the game crashed again.   I never bothered to log back into that particular server again on the suspicion that either the server itself was just $h&t, or the admin was cruising about invisible just looking for someone to troll.

Oh the first elevator shaft I fell down and broke my leg only to realize I was going to have to drop into an ambush room below. The tension of that decision was great. Double checked all my weapons were repaired and ready, and dropped down. Died within seconds, but it felt very action hero sacrifice for the greater good kind of vibe. (Only I was playing solo) :)

Being prepared for the situations you might get into, or else you might die, is more or less the main principle of this game...or any survival game if you like it.

Running naked into an elaborate tier 5 poi to get your stuff back is...well, this game tends to give you what you deserve,

either by "immersive story telling situations" or by glitches.

This is why I also always carry a number of "nerd poling blocks", or at least the necessary wood to make them.

But yes he's right, it is somehow a cool story that/how this happened.