Crafting oddity(possible bug, but want to make sure)

dryfus

I was watching JaWoodle, and he noticed that something quite didn't right with crafting.  Why doe crafting a stack of gunpowder take longer than just doing the gunpowder as is.  Shouldn't a stack of gunpowder take the same time as say dong 1000 gunpowder at a time???  Then I thought maybe it's because he hasn't restarted when the new updates dropped(I noticed my got a little glitchy when I didn't go to the new update.)   So a started a new creative world, and no, it takes 30 minutes to do a stack, and 15 minutes to do 1000 just crafting it straight up. 

EDIT FOR TYPOS

Edited by dryfus (see edit history)

2 minutes ago, Spiked_Coffee said:

Not in front of the game right now, but doesn't creating a stack use fewer resources?

Yes, but why should that matter.  If it lowered it to 50% rather than 80%  I could see it taking twice as long, but if you gonna do 80% shouldn't it take only 20% longer.  It really disincentivizes making stacks IMHO.

3 minutes ago, SenLim said:

Wait, sorry for sidebar, but why (or how) does creating a stack use fewer resources?

Game mechanic meant to emulate more efficient use of resources, namely the leftover stuff that gets thrown away when making small batches gets lumped in together to make more of the bigger batch.

Well if you start it and go on a quest does it really matter how long it takes? I mean you aren't spending that extra time gather resources, so that is where the time comes in. I think for game balance it's probably like this. They have to find some way to offset the gains or no one would craft it the other way.

This sets you up for a choice. Horde night starts in 3hrs. Do I craft it in a stack and take longer making me rush to make bullets, or do I sacrifice resources for time gained to make those bullets.

To put it another way. Imagine you are making a pepperoni pizza. You can be precise and place every piece on one at a time perfectly, or you save time and just throw a handful of pepperoni at the pizza. Sure half will land on the floor, but you got the job done faster lol

Faster in any manufacturing setting is always sloppier and more wasteful. Precision measuring takes more time than eyeballing a handful of material quantities. I would guess this was their line of thinking.

Edited by warmer (see edit history)

3 hours ago, dryfus said:

Yes, but why should that matter.  If it lowered it to 50% rather than 80%  I could see it taking twice as long, but if you gonna do 80% shouldn't it take only 20% longer.  It really disincentivizes making stacks IMHO.

Not if you are trying to get more from your resources.  If you are swimming in coal and nitrate, then do it in singles.  But if you want to maximize your output, then stacks are best as you can simply have it crafting while you are out

Yes, but 30 minutes to craft the stack is half an in game @%$#.  If you have a full stack of nitrate and coal, you can craft 6k of gunpowder in a day and a half in game days, but 7k stacks in three and a half in game days.  that's a lot of being out.(and yes I realize you can grab the first stack when it's done in half a day)

HMMM, it didn't take the quote???     (probably something I did)

BFT2020 said "Not if you are trying to get more from your resources.  If you are swimming in coal and nitrate, then do it in singles.  But if you want to maximize your output, then stacks are best as you can simply have it crafting while you are out"

Edited by dryfus (see edit history)

I saw that vid too; it looked a lil weird, but it doesn't really even slow anything. The base time is 30 mins per stack.

Making ammo out of it:

1000 9 mm is 50 mins

333 7.62 is 27 mins

Boxes of ammo are .. a little faster. 9 mm boxes still take longer per powder than bulk powder.

I won't fret about it, whether it stays or changes... :)

16 hours ago, dryfus said:

Yes, but 30 minutes to craft the stack is half an in game @%$#.  If you have a full stack of nitrate and coal, you can craft 6k of gunpowder in a day and a half in game days, but 7k stacks in three and a half in game days.  that's a lot of being out.(and yes I realize you can grab the first stack when it's done in half a day)

So in game:

• Baseline - 1800 seconds to craft 1 bundle of gunpowder
  • Nerdy glasses reduces craft time by 10% so once you find those, it now only takes 1620 seconds to craft.
  • Ranks 2 and 3 in Physician reduce crafting times with the chemistry station by 20%.  With the nerdy glasses, it now only takes 1260 seconds.
  • Ranks 4 and 5 in Physician reduce crafting times with the chemistry station by 40%.  With the nerdy glasses, it only takes 900 seconds.

That is how TFP approach this.  Anyone can craft the bundle after they unlock the recipe.  Those who find and use the nerdy glasses will reduce their crafting time by 10% (which is not hard to do).  But if you want to really reduce crafting times in gunpowder stacks, then you need to perk at least into level 2 of Physician (for an additional 20%) or level 4 of Physician (for an additional 40%).  It's all about making a choice and living with the pros and cons of that choice.

• Choice 1 - Craft one at a time, best for people who don't want to spend any points into Physician and need it quickly, wastes resources
  • Choice 2 - Craft into bundles, best for people who don't want to waste resources and not worried about time, gets more from your resources but takes time
  • Choice 3 - Craft into bundles and perk into Physician, more from resources and faster crafting times, have to invest some perk points into Intellect tree
    • At a minimum (using Nerdy glasses), would need to spend 6 perk points (for Level 2) - Int 5 with points, 6 with glasses, then 2 points into the perk

If you want to mass produce gunpowder bundles, you can also invest in more chemistry stations.  Then you can produce X times the amount in the same time period.