Too much parts.

junta

Subj. Like weapon parts. Guns, melee weapons, bows etc. Like how much do you need in one run of each of them? Few at most. And still you can obtain more of them by scrapping other low tier things.

Once I looted 5 machete parts (default settings and yes knives build) at one POI. One I would use to immediate craft machete to have one, then other part I'll keep for a future... what with others? Just sell?

I not complain about abundance I rather prefer to increase value in other way.

Firstly, increase cost of crafting new items. Seriously, you cannot scrap old gun, obtain 1 piece and re-craft from it new polished higher tier gun. This is just lame.

Secondly, add parts to cost of repair of related item. Reason behind this not only give more life to the parts category, but also to make repairing more meaningfull. (Now repairing is maximum lame, before player at least lose quality per 1 repairing process and therefore loses effectiveness of an item which player could feel in straight numbers, e.g. for steel pickaxe when mining. Now player doesn't feel repairing at all, repairing is ultra cheap, however it is another topic. )

If I remember right, in A20 and 19 higher tiers of weapons would require more weapon parts. Now in A21 for some reason, they only require 5 parts, regardless of tier. Same with armor. This unfortunately has resulted in having a LOT of excess parts left over - not sure why it was changed, or if the change was intentional.

• 2 weeks later...

I could be losing my mind, but I seem to remember an earlier build required some sort of parts for repair of weapons.

Might be confusing this game with some other game, however. The pitfall of a very long dev cycle with widely shifting designs.

On 7/10/2023 at 5:53 PM, Old Crow said:

If I remember right, in A20 and 19 higher tiers of weapons would require more weapon parts. Now in A21 for some reason, they only require 5 parts, regardless of tier. Same with armor. This unfortunately has resulted in having a LOT of excess parts left over - not sure why it was changed, or if the change was intentional.

your right

i think weapons and armor should uses parts to repair said weapons or armors

1 hour ago, Adam the Waster said:

your right

i think weapons and armor should uses parts to repair said weapons or armors

You guys are okay with carrying around different types of repair kits to repair all your gear?  You will need one stack for your armor (assuming they are all the same), a stack for each melee weapon you may have, and as many stacks for as many tools and ranged weapons you are taking.

6 hours ago, BFT2020 said:

You guys are okay with carrying around different types of repair kits to repair all your gear?  You will need one stack for your armor (assuming they are all the same), a stack for each melee weapon you may have, and as many stacks for as many tools and ranged weapons you are taking.

it would make the game more survival base.

plus repair kits are dirt cheap so its a bit too easy

9 hours ago, BFT2020 said:

It's not that I want to carry around multiple types of repair kits - I just want a use for all the extra parts we're finding.

A bit of tweaking to the recipes, combined with a bit of tweaking to the perks would fix it.

On 7/19/2023 at 8:53 PM, Adam the Waster said:

it would make the game more survival base.

plus repair kits are dirt cheap so its a bit too easy

It isn't about the cost to create them.  It's about having to use up multiple inventory spots just to be able to repair everything while you're away from base.  If you're using a mod to have more inventory space, you might not care.  But in vanilla, that would be a strong "no" from me.

I'm sure they can find better uses for the parts than having multiple types of repair kits.  They are almost pointless to even have in the game the way things are right now.

• 2 weeks later...

Prior to the implementation of A21 one of their listed systems they had in place was durability degradation from repairs which was connected to the items related crafting skill. Repair an item and it lost maximum durability with each repair. The higher your crafting skill for the related item the less durability was lost. So originally the gear system might've made items more disposable than they currently are. It seems that was scrapped at some point so now we have an over abundance of crafting materials in a system where items are mostly permanent progression, often times gotten without crafting at all.