Clear missions are bugged.

Ronin007

In A21 stable, Me and my friends have been facing some issues with clear missions, we clear the whole mission, (T5 or T6 infested) and then the mission is not complete, and we don't get yellow or red dots anywhere, I even tried going god mode and check the whole place again, not a single zombie is alive,  we go through the building a few times and still the same, it's just not clear, and once we tried to restart the server and start the mission again, we did it the same way we tried before the restart and then boom, it is clear. It's so annoying that we have to restart server everytime we try to do a mission, and also it's not a rare occasion, it happens in almost every mission we get. (Sometimes it still doesn't work after a restart)
Anyone else facing that issue? and are there any fixes?

Mostly we find switches that cannot be interacted with in the POI which then triggers this bug, and it's unplayable, everytime we try to clear a tier 6 infested, like out of 10 times we get 8 bugged missions, I saw that in the known issues list and I still can't fidn a fix for this.

Edited by Ronin007 (see edit history)

this has been happening to my group as well, ever single one of us have had multiple t5/t6's fail. its really disheartening, as its a lot of wasted resources and time.

there needs to be some sort of failsafe system introduced. not sure how or what, but there needs to be something.

Hi, sorry this is going on -- we are definitely aware and have been working on solutions. It would help a lot if you all could describe events leading up to the failed quest, things such as:

• Is this usually in a group, or sometimes solo (if solo, is this an MP game where you were the only one on, or always MP?)?
  • Were these POI's that were previously quested that you know of -- and is it possible someone in your group did the POI as a quest that you don't know of?
  • Were the POI's looted/raided before the quest was started?

Mostly asking for such cases because just doing the quests doesn't reproduce those bugs easily, so it's looking like a certain set of circumstances and could use some help narrowing it down faster. Thanks!

7 hours ago, Jugginator said:

Hi, sorry this is going on -- we are definitely aware and have been working on solutions. It would help a lot if you all could describe events leading up to the failed quest, things such as:

• Is this usually in a group, or sometimes solo (if solo, is this an MP game where you were the only one on, or always MP?)?
  • Were these POI's that were previously quested that you know of -- and is it possible someone in your group did the POI as a quest that you don't know of?
  • Were the POI's looted/raided before the quest was started?

Mostly asking for such cases because just doing the quests doesn't reproduce those bugs easily, so it's looking like a certain set of circumstances and could use some help narrowing it down faster. Thanks!

* Usually a group, when i used to do them solo, I don't think it ever happened to me solo.

* Yes, we first tried it with my friend, it was okay and we got it cleared, then we wanted to do it another time but this time I took the quest from the trader, but it never got cleared, it was Shotgun Messiah Tier 6 Infestation but it also happens in almost every tier 6 quest.

* I think they were, since we have already done the quest for my friend.

Edited by Ronin007 (see edit history)

14 minutes ago, Old Crow said:

Experiencing this in the Pop'n Pills Factory. I do get the red dot but no zombie. It's in a room that's supposed to be opened with a switch that isn't able to be interacted with.

Yeah, and you get no yellow dots even though you cleared the whole POI, I think the noninteractive  switch is the issue.

Every bugged tier 6 I went to that had that switch never got completed.

5 hours ago, Ronin007 said:

Yeah, and you get no yellow dots even though you cleared the whole POI, I think the noninteractive  switch is the issue.

Every bugged tier 6 I went to that had that switch never got completed.

That's the funny thing - I get the red dot on my compass showing where the zombie is, but the zombie doesn't spawn in the spot. Yet my buddy and I did that OI just fine as a loot run with no quest and the room and button worked just fine.

1 hour ago, Old Crow said:

That's the funny thing - I get the red dot on my compass showing where the zombie is, but the zombie doesn't spawn in the spot. Yet my buddy and I did that OI just fine as a loot run with no quest and the room and button worked just fine.

Yeah it's a bit weird and actually me and my friend stopped playing, because we loved doing quests and POIS but now there's no point in doing so now, I hope they fix it soon.

I also think it only happens when you're doing quests with friends, I think when you do them solo, nothing like this happens.

11 hours ago, Ronin007 said:

Yeah it's a bit weird and actually me and my friend stopped playing, because we loved doing quests and POIS but now there's no point in doing so now, I hope they fix it soon.

I also think it only happens when you're doing quests with friends, I think when you do them solo, nothing like this happens.

Negative, happens also in single player. Had issues with those maps:
weigh_station_01 - enemies not spawning (two spawns just by the blue bus, after tank truck explosion). Quest was showing me orange markers, where I should find enemies, but no matter how I entered that region, spawn wouldn't happen. Exited the game, started quest again and it worked. Started quest again later - worked again.

Extra note: when quest went south I was on salvage rampage. Deconstructed each car on front of the station before going to the tanker. Also, I've destroyed doors of the semi-trailer, from which some of the zombies spawn when tank explodes. 

installation_red_mesa - buttons not working (at least few, had to jump over flames and destroy door to the treasure room). Killed all zombies in all possible places, but at some point - no orange markers, no red ones, quest marked as incompleted. Will try to finish it on a second try after exiting the game.

Extra note: I took the pipe shortcut and activated some zombies in later portion of the map. Also, at the beginning zombies have attacked gas barrel which blow up the tent.

hotel_01 - finished twice, on the first try the button that opens basement gate with treasure didn't work. I did manage to finish the quest by looring the last group of zombies with a firearm.

It looks like missing spawns can be caused by an extensive damage to the map, either player or zombie inflicted. Not working switches haven't happened more than once. Both of those can be cause by the fact, that I'm still on my old save from b313.

Thank you all for the information, that certainly helps a lot. This is definitely a top-priority bug investigation/solution so hang tight. In the meantime though, if you get a bugged quest that you know you've completed, there are dev item tickets in the cm menu that you can read to get a completed quest to turn in to at least be compensated. A bummer thing to happen, but those can be used for it in the meantime.image.thumb.png.a3ac1f34c8c109fb7532765c24143556.png

I've double checked the installation_red_mesa and while the switches are still not working (maybe intended?) donig mission second time didn't help in this case. I've double checked all known locations, tried to follow default path (sometimes zombies in next section wake up after shooting, so it does screw up a bit), double checked outside for any potential animals/vultures. Didn't help. 

Also - forgot to mention, quest in installation_red_mesa  is T6 Infestation Clear. So maybe it's a problem with additional spawn from infestation?

1 hour ago, Jugginator said:

Thank you all for the information, that certainly helps a lot. This is definitely a top-priority bug investigation/solution so hang tight. In the meantime though, if you get a bugged quest that you know you've completed, there are dev item tickets in the cm menu that you can read to get a completed quest to turn in to at least be compensated. A bummer thing to happen, but those can be used for it in the meantime.image.thumb.png.a3ac1f34c8c109fb7532765c24143556.png

Thanks for the info. Is there any command to cancel, or more like delete a quest, so I won't have a failed one on the list? It's only an aesthetical thing, but I really hate to cancel a quest just for the game to "laugh" at me, that I failed on it 😛

56 minutes ago, zeaposs said:

I've double checked the installation_red_mesa and while the switches are still not working (maybe intended?) donig mission second time didn't help in this case. I've double checked all known locations, tried to follow default path (sometimes zombies in next section wake up after shooting, so it does screw up a bit), double checked outside for any potential animals/vultures. Didn't help. 

Also - forgot to mention, quest in installation_red_mesa  is T6 Infestation Clear. So maybe it's a problem with additional spawn from infestation?

Thanks for the info. Is there any command to cancel, or more like delete a quest, so I won't have a failed one on the list? It's only an aesthetical thing, but I really hate to cancel a quest just for the game to "laugh" at me, that I failed on it 😛

What makes it weird is simply doing the quests multiple times doesn't seem to be a trigger (pun mildly intended) for the bug, I just spent the last 6/8 hours doing T6 infested quests over and over (just today, not including other days lol). I started doing things like pre-looting and sometimes destroying some switches/doors that are tied to trigger volumes and whatnot (including blowing up most of some of them) and then doing more quests there. No worries, we'll get it figured out, just wanted to share some test cases I did today. I did do only two at red mesa, I'll do some more shortly. 

And no, there's no command that I know of that will do that, maybe there's a gameevent command for it, check shift + f6 Actually, since the quest isn't completable, if you want to get around that just log out and back in since that will reset the quest, then abandon or retry it or just say you did complete it and use a ticket to get rewarded. There is a command that draws sleeper volumes in boxes, enter sleepers draw in the console. Might help in screenshots.

Green - normal
Red - quest exclude
Gray - volume that is triggered
Blue - trigger volume
Blue Added - has entities spawned (green becomes cyan, red is purple, gray is blue and so on)
Dark Tint - is completed

Edited by Jugginator (see edit history)

14 hours ago, Ronin007 said:

My instance of it (happened twice, same POI in different locations) both happened during a solo run. I was the only person online in my case.

38 minutes ago, Jugginator said:

What makes it weird is simply doing the quests multiple times doesn't seem to be a trigger (pun mildly intended) for the bug, I just spent the last 6/8 hours doing T6 infested quests over and over (just today, not including other days lol). I started doing things like pre-looting and sometimes destroying some switches/doors that are tied to trigger volumes and whatnot (including blowing up most of some of them) and then doing more quests there. No worries, we'll get it figured out, just wanted to share some test cases I did today. I did do only two at red mesa, I'll do some more shortly. 

And no, there's no command that I know of that will do that, maybe there's a gameevent command for it, check shift + f6 Actually, since the quest isn't completable, if you want to get around that just log out and back in since that will reset the quest, then abandon or retry it or just say you did complete it and use a ticket to get rewarded. There is a command that draws sleeper volumes in boxes, enter sleepers draw in the console. Might help in screenshots.

Green - normal
Red - quest exclude
Gray - volume that is triggered
Blue - trigger volume
Blue Added - has entities spawned (green becomes cyan, red is purple, gray is blue and so on)
Dark Tint - is completed

Oh right, good idea with the sleeper volumes. Maybe I'll be able to find, which one are missing. And as mentioned, this is not a clean save, it was created on A21 b313, so if red mesa infested works fine on other machines, than maybe this is the reason. I'll try to create a late stagegame save on a clean save and see if this will happen again. If it will, then I'll run around with sleeper volumes drawn to see if I can find, which ones are not spawning.

I know about the exit game trick, that's how I managed to do multiple runs when something failed ;) . As mentioned, I don't want to abandon a quest, as it looks bad in the quest log xD

2 hours ago, zeaposs said:

I know about the exit game trick, that's how I managed to do multiple runs when something failed ;) . As mentioned, I don't want to abandon a quest, as it looks bad in the quest log xD

If you remove the quest manually, it doesn't show up in the log ;)

And quite possibly it might be an issue with old saves continuing on, but I certainly wouldn't want to put it to chance. Good point though, if reproduction is still fruitless I may make a build on an older version of experimental and continue it on the latest stable.

6 minutes ago, Jugginator said:

And quite possibly it might be an issue with old saves continuing on, but I certainly wouldn't want to put it to chance. Good point though, if reproduction is still fruitless I may make a build on an older version of experimental and continue it on the latest stable.

We were playing on a save file that was in alpha 21 before it was stable, maybe that's something, idk, and thanks for the dev quest ticket thing, this will def help until you guys figure it out.

9 hours ago, Jugginator said:

installation_red_mesa:
can confirm - this is an old save issue. I've created a new save and those switches are active and they trigger additional sleepers, that normally don't spawn. I've also found a bypass - if you destroy the switch, it will trigger the action, so everything should work. I'll try another run without god mode later to confirm that.

tl;dr - bug is propably save version dependent, destroy inactive switches to trigger additional sleeper volumes.

A21.0_2023-07-08_11-53-03.jpg

A21.0_2023-07-08_11-53-19.jpg

A21.0_2023-07-08_11-09-14.jpg

7 hours ago, zeaposs said:

tl;dr - bug is propably save version dependent, destroy inactive switches to trigger additional sleeper volumes.

Yes, that was added in the last experimental version, I believe.

21 hours ago, zeaposs said:

Just click on the failed quest in your quest log and hit the cancel quest button above (exclamation point with an x in a circle).  It will remove it from your quest list.

43 minutes ago, Riamus said:

Just click on the failed quest in your quest log and hit the cancel quest button above (exclamation point with an x in a circle).  It will remove it from your quest list.

Yeah, @Jugginator has already said that before and I didn't check that right away, because I was pretty sure, that in older version it marks the quest as a failed one. Even now, when you cancel a quest, you can see that for a moment it is with the red x visible before it dissapears. 

So I've been having this same issue. What I find is that the generators located the near affected switches need to be destroyed before the switches themselves will work and spawn the enemies. it seems that when the generator destroyed it causes an event to happen and then when the switch is pressed another event happens. This makes it so that you have to destroy the generators in order to Complete clear events.

if I were to guess the debt intentions, Than the generator should be turned off and the player must activate the generator That powers the electric switch and gate

this map was generated during A21 Experimental build. I don't know which one but was the one right before release

Logs: https://pastebin.com/5d7E7wZf
Video: https://youtu.be/rMrJx9FA96U

1 hour ago, dantesol said:

So I've been having this same issue. What I find is that the generators located the near affected switches need to be destroyed before the switches themselves will work and spawn the enemies. it seems that when the generator destroyed it causes an event to happen and then when the switch is pressed another event happens. This makes it so that you have to destroy the generators in order to Complete clear events.

if I were to guess the debt intentions, Than the generator should be turned off and the player must activate the generator That powers the electric switch and gate

this map was generated during A21 Experimental build. I don't know which one but was the one right before release

It looks like hotel_01 . Try to run it again, it did work for me on the same save on the second run.

Also, if you create a new save, you don't interact with generators at all,No turning on/off - those switches just work. I believe they are only for "Night only" missions and for immersion. BUT maybe by destroying the generator you alter the state of POI and game notices that it should turn those darn switches. I'll double check that on installation_red_mesa  - if destroying the generator around the first switch will also turn on the one around flaming tank, then destroying switches won't be needed ;)

2 hours ago, dantesol said:

That could be a critical piece of information.  If it can be verified that destroying generators will enable a button that should have worked originally but didn't, then that should make it far easier for them to solve the problem and fix it.  I'll have to keep an eye out for a broken button situation again and see if it works.  Note that if this only allows the zombies to spawn but doesn't allow the button to work, then it's likely part of the fix they put in that allows you to spawn zombies by destroying the trigger, which doesn't actually resolve the problem.

I will say that the times that I've had buttons fail, the generator in the area was running.  Not sure if it is running when those buttons work as I haven't seen those buttons actually work yet.

@Jugginator This might be helpful for your testing.  Just pinging you in case you forget to check back in this thread.

Edited by Riamus (see edit history)

17 minutes ago, Riamus said:

That could be a critical piece of information.  If it can be verified that destroying generators will enable a button that should have worked originally but didn't, then that should make it far easier for them to solve the problem and fix it.  I'll have to keep an eye out for a broken button situation again and see if it works.  Note that if this only allows the zombies to spawn but doesn't allow the button to work, then it's likely part of the fix they put in that allows you to spawn zombies by destroying the trigger, which doesn't actually resolve the problem.

I will say that the times that I've had buttons fail, the generator in the area was running.  Not sure if it is running when those buttons work as I haven't seen those buttons actually work yet.

@Jugginator This might be helpful for your testing.  Just pinging you in case you forget to check back in this thread.

I don't really believe this requires fixing - all those maps work just fine either on the second run, or on the new save (at least on SP). Does anyone have those problems on new save (that is on a new game created already on b324)?

Edit - the only "fix" I would love to see, is a way to update old save POI to new version, but I don't know if that isn't a problem with the saves ConfigsDump.

Edited by zeaposs (see edit history)

6 hours ago, dantesol said:

Update on installation_red_mesa :

1. I was wrong, there's always a generator around a button.

2. Destroying a generator will only activate a button that is close to it.

3. I've managed to finish the installation_red_mesa on b317 save (destroyed first switch, later on destroyed only switches). Destroying swithes (with auger, maybe sledgehammer, but I don't spec into it) is faster, but destroying generator will allow you to better prepare for the zombie wave.

Either way, good catch @dantesol, I'll check now if installation_red_mesa  will fix itself on second run.

Glad to see this is getting looked into, I noticed this a few times in a few places, I'm guessing it has something to do with some kind of trigger not happening if you take a quest with Restore Power functionality as anything other than restore power.. Good luck with that! .. I did notice it in the (T3?) Booze and Bullets? I think- Two places right next to each other, 1 was a bar.

.. Just glad this thread was here, filling out a bug report looked intimidating.