Sleepers spawned by events or triggers

Ailin

Thank you for posting this.  It is my #1 issue with the game.  I LOVE the concept of this game and how you can "play your own way" and immerse yourself into this world.  It has near infinite replayability and the modding possibilities are also almost endless.

All that being said, it is completely undone when I go to the roof of a jail, stealthly look around and scope out the place, find a way in from the roof and I immediately have a horde behind me on the roof that just decided to appear because I opened a door.  My immersion is completely broken and the world has gone from a fun, engaging world that feels real to an arcade game of shoot'em up (that I was trying my best to avoid).  If the game is headed in this direction of forcing the players to play one way, I'm just no longer interested.  PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE just spawn zombies based on being within a certain distance.  I don't mind if certain triggers make them aggressive immediately.  I don't need everything to be stealthy.  I just want to feel like it is an actual situation with multiple approaches for different types of players.

Thank you for reading!

2 minutes ago, seven said:

What really bugs me about this is even if you follow the 'one true path' there will be zombies that spawn in behind you to box you in. I consider that cheating by the devs.

Yeh, that's a real bummer feature. I can survive, but it always just feels like "Well, this time the Designer seems to not have spawned enough to kill me. How.. kind of him."

12 minutes ago, seven said:

What really bugs me about this is even if you follow the 'one true path' there will be zombies that spawn in behind you to box you in. I consider that cheating by the devs.

I agree that this is much worse than my situation.  It has the same immersion breaking issue and feels like a cheap challenge increase at best and a bug at worst.

I think the 'one true path' being the 'fix' to this would be unsatisfactory for me.  So if the devs were like, 'We fixed it, as long as you go this way', I wouldn't consider that a fix, just a way to railroad players into playing the way they're 'supposed to'.  Kind of a cop-out in my opinion.  I don't mind path of least resistance and the path in can both be explained by the visual story telling of POI and how it fell to the zombie horde and/or information that was provided (off screen) from the trader when the quest was accepted.  I love adding this type of head-canon to the game when I am playing to make it more immersive and fun as a role-playing experience.  There's no amount of head-canon that can explain what you or I are experiencing though.

9 minutes ago, Kyler133 said:

I agree that this is much worse than my situation.  It has the same immersion breaking issue and feels like a cheap challenge increase at best and a bug at worst.

I think the 'one true path' being the 'fix' to this would be unsatisfactory for me.  So if the devs were like, 'We fixed it, as long as you go this way', I wouldn't consider that a fix, just a way to railroad players into playing the way they're 'supposed to'.  Kind of a cop-out in my opinion.  I don't mind path of least resistance and the path in can both be explained by the visual story telling of POI and how it fell to the zombie horde and/or information that was provided (off screen) from the trader when the quest was accepted.  I love adding this type of head-canon to the game when I am playing to make it more immersive and fun as a role-playing experience.  There's no amount of head-canon that can explain what you or I are experiencing though.

I apply that to every game ever.  Have you tried going an unintended way in GTA,  or Skyrim.  It breaks the game...  Same here.   And being the way the game is it is hard to come up with a solution.   No one knows the coding better than TFP.   Anyone saying otherwise are liers.

1 hour ago, Kyler133 said:

You mentioned the jail. You might recognize this. Bathrooms with trigger zombies up ahead, and that trigger is some point on the floor.

What you don't see are the trigger spawns on the roof that drop down to the parking lot or through the ceiling to box you in.

20230703085245_1.jpg

20230703091312_1.jpg

5 minutes ago, seven said:

What you don't see are the trigger spawns on the roof that drop down to the parking lot or through the ceiling to box you in.

Gross. 

I have to say... I really don't mind there being situations that if you are reckless, will kick your butt.  I just don't like how they are implemented as unavoidable or even buggy.  It would be cool that IF you just ran in guns blazing, this is exactly what would happen and you could have a shoot-em-up, fast paced, high risk mission.  However, if I spend my valuable resource of time.... that should give me some sort of advantage or way to sniff out these situations.

Well the main philosophy aside my issue is when the game fails to actually trigger these events, so you have to just fail the quest and drive away because something in the code went tits up and the zombies physically wont *exist* for me to kill and end the quest. Like in the 2nd screenshot that button is supposed to open the door, but its not interactable, and the zombies dont exist inside the room unless you "trigger" the button therefore even by breaking into the room they dont exist for me to kill and the entire quest was wasted.

Another fun thing is the zombies that apparently know how to open doors.  But only sometimes.  I was doing The Wright House POI today, and I walked up to a pair of closed double doors, and they suddenly opened to 3 ferals and a rad in my face.  Why is it that some zombies can open doors (and sometimes don't even exist until those doors open) while the vast majority of them have to try and smash their way through?

15 minutes ago, Vaeliorin said:

Why is it that some zombies can open doors (and sometimes don't even exist until those doors open) while the vast majority of them have to try and smash their way through?

You may be asking for a lore reason; can't give you one of those.. but the zeds have nothing to do with the doors opening, the doors just open on a trigger. Sometimes doors open with no zeds inside, sometimes you can re-trigger them to close... one Kage848 (maybe him?) video had a door trigger toggle a hatch he himself had just placed there...

Poltergeists.

28 minutes ago, theFlu said:

You may be asking for a lore reason; can't give you one of those

Actually, that was mostly intended to be facetious.  I know why, I just think it's ridiculous.  If all zombies could open doors, I'd at least understand it (BTW, this is not a suggestion Fun Pimps...don't actually let zombies open doors.)

3 minutes ago, Vaeliorin said:

I know why, I just think it's ridiculous.

I kinda expected as much, but .. I wanted to fill in the data, as it's a thread about actual weirdnesses. That part isn't "unknown", just plain old stupid. For the general audience or some such .. :)

11 hours ago, NekoPawtato said:

placeholder for the inevitable bandits?

Well, I would expect bandits will open doors. But for the ending of the hybrid energy station, I hope the bandits don't spend their time hiding in closets.

As in, maybe it could be a bandit-actuated trap, but then the bandit should be there as well.. or at least Somewhere... :)