I'm confused...

Aiyoki

Wasn't A21 supposed to "Bring" content and changes to the table?

I'm seeing some changes initially but other things appear to be misplaced...

-The biome generation is now a complete disaster and you spawn in the middle of every conceivable biome possible right from the get-go

-Roads are more choppy and make absolutely no sense.

-After completing the starting quests it becomes evident that there are no traders loaded into the A21 maps (Random gen.)

Is this normal or is there something I've done wrong to cause this bizarre chaos and loss of content?

sounds like something weird happened.

I did start three games in the experimental version, the last one I moved over to stable.

So far nothing wrong for me with roads, they're actually pretty good connecting towns/cities, and also solely pois in the wilderness.

Considering traders I had also problems. Once I've been thrown in the middle of nowhere, trader about 2km away, with nothing but barren land between there and my starting point. A new player who doesn't just take off to the trader, whilst easily hitting chickens left and right with the bow, and collect the exact right things needed, would most probably be f$%&ed by this rng situation.

But this was said to be patched out.

You described it as "no traders", but it might just have been the case that the trader was too far away to be "viable/recognized" for the starting quest. I remember this was a thing that happened in former alphas too.

So this is also likely to be fixed in the near future, if not already done for your next start.

There were issues with those earlier builds and trader distances, but my latest maps have put me within a kilometer of the trader.  My roads, including the smallest cattle trails, are just wonderful!  Are you sure you're on the latest build and you deleted all mods and old maps before starting this latest one?

Can't say I've had any of these issues even in A21 experimental. Mind you in experimental b317 and below you could sometimes be spawned 4 km+ away from a trader on a 8k map, this is fixed in b323 though, in b323+ you always seem to spawn within 500m or so of your first trader. At least all the 20+ maps I generated in A21 b323+ have all had me within 500 or less meters from the trader.

1 hour ago, Khissi said:

There were issues with those earlier builds and trader distances, but my latest maps have put me within a kilometer of the trader.  My roads, including the smallest cattle trails, are just wonderful!  Are you sure you're on the latest build and you deleted all mods and old maps before starting this latest one?

My current map has this amazing highway along the side of a mountain, alot of hills but pretty smooth otherwise and the bicycle can drive on it without slowing down due to inclines or anything. Its a good 1.4 km long highway road basically, very nice to look at too.

Edited by Scyris (see edit history)

Removing empty cans and glass jars suck. 
As it sucked when they removed that ability to fill empty tin can from water source and boild in camp fire without cooking pot. And you coul make burned meat in campfire without tools. Originally from a stick (wood sticks were removed long ago) and from fresh meat. Back then we has sticks, wood logs and lumber. Sticks form bushes and logs cutting dow a tree. See those decorative table saws, they they used to be crafting stations for lumber.  
 Making "Can of boiled water" and "Burned meat" starter food source. 
With all there constant nerf on farming makes farming so unenjoyable. A f-ing farmville with zombies.  

And there popup labels showing the difficulty level of POIs is so consoly. I am sure GTA player whined to get those. They suck. 

I ma staring to tkin that soon you could make much better game from the features that were removed from this game. I do like that A21 brought back the recipe books mechanics than they removed  around A14. I am not sure is this variaton is better than the one they removed. Back then recipe boo unlocked the skill and using the skill levelled it.  

I haven't updated yet and I'm struggling to see a reason to do so.  The POI's interest me, but besides that I don't see anything else.  Even though it's stable now, I kind of want to see if they will do some other fixes like vehicles and if they want to address the dew collector heat or not.

Sounds like you need to clean your files OP. Your description is exactly like someone with A20 code still existing. 

When you load the game choose the game launcher option and then use the clean tool and select all maps and saves.