Stuck at Planning Highways

Loscoy

Admittedly I am generating the largest world size with many towns, but it’s been creeping on 40min and counting.

Is this normal?  I thought random world gen was made faster, or my expectations too high?

thanks for you inlit

I'm having this issue as well I'm running 16 GB of RAM, a 3050 ti geforce rtx, and 4 GB of Vram, the world size is 9216, towns and all of that is basic default nothing changed, plains is 40% hills is 40% mountains is 20%, snow is 22% forest is 39, desert is 22 and wasteland is 17. I have no world seed put in 

I don't think its a bug however, as I've made a bigger world and I think it took about 13 minutes or so to completely finish 

Edited by uppedzulu47747
Added detail (see edit history)

36 minutes ago, uppedzulu47747 said:

I'm having this issue as well I'm running 16 GB of RAM, a 3050 ti geforce rtx, and 4 GB of Vram, the world size is 9216, towns and all of that is basic default nothing changed, plains is 40% hills is 40% mountains is 20%, snow is 22% forest is 39, desert is 22 and wasteland is 17. I have no world seed put in 

I don't think its a bug however, as I've made a bigger world and I think it took about 13 minutes or so to completely finish 

Still need logs. Use Pastebin.

20 hours ago, SylenThunder said:

Still need logs. Use Pastebin.

https://pastebin.com/raw/fD9rbzes
edit: it occurs during world generation at "Planning highways", it gets stuck
2nd edit: I can't post another reply due to some random errors, there's another scenario in which error can also occur while changing settings before attempting to generate world: https://pastebin.com/raw/p5MZbHSz

Edited by xii_yuki
scenario and another error (see edit history)

Yeah it seems to be a "game" issue - not an individual computer issue because a lot of people have high(ish) end computers when the 'Planning Highways' freeze happens. Enough people getting stuck here at this spot to know it's a game issue.

So you can post a million pastebin dumps - but if the error is happening broadly across the board as it obviously is - yeah.
It's a game issue - and probably an A21 issue as this has never happened to me BEFORE A21 and my system hasn't changed.

THAT BEING SAID................
I've forced closed the game once or twice - and it seems to me that the freeze is actually a "thinking freeze" as the game generates highways based on the map criteria you have chosen to use, as well as how detailed of a preview you want to see. It seems sometimes it takes a LONG time for this to happen - and other times it is fairly quickly.

I have experienced longer times with more Hills and Mountains, and less times with more Plains...

Edited by Sugarfree (see edit history)

• 2 weeks later...

Yeah this is something that's being worked on, make sure you reload the game in between world generations. If you do see a generation hanging for 20 minutes it's a good guess that it broke (or at least not worth your time waiting forever for it) and I would force close the game and try a new seed (or the same one, just delete the partial progress it did in the generated worlds folder). Anti-virus exceptions also help this out in some cases.

• 3 weeks later...

yeah ever since the last update after 21 stable,  i get that error message on 'planning highways' every time i try to generate a new world.. maybe I haven't waited long enough to get it to work through that thinking error. I'm waiting one right now maybe i'll let it ponder a long long while see if it works 

9 hours ago, Das Fantastico said:

yeah ever since the last update after 21 stable,  i get that error message on 'planning highways' every time i try to generate a new world.. maybe I haven't waited long enough to get it to work through that thinking error. I'm waiting one right now maybe i'll let it ponder a long long while see if it works 

This is normal and hopefully something that they'll fix at some point.  It will eventually finish if you do not close the game.  Avoid clicking anywhere while the map is generating and you won't even see the not responding message from Windows.

**Note:  If the problem you are getting isn't the not responding error but an argument error and you set Towns to None, that seems to be bugged.  Until fixed, it appears you have to set towns to something other than None.

Edited by Riamus (see edit history)