A21 is... definately better... but...

Viktoriusiii

@IrishManJMo Try that again with a group of 5 and a way faster growing gamestage than in SP. We had rads. On day 8. And demos on day 21. You have to progress. Fast. And ofc everyone could do their own quest alone to easily keep up, but that´s not the effin point of playing MP Coop.

In A20 that wasn´t the case. Rads seem to come way earlier and we also never reached demos that early wich is due to the new formula for group gamestage i guess. 

And to mention it again: The game should be responsible for a steady slow curve in progression and not my playstyle.

Edited by pApA^LeGBa (see edit history)

1 hour ago, meganoth said:

What would work is if those magazines got the loot-bonus automatically and not through perks. What already DOES work is that you can just check out specific places and loot boxes to get more of some specific magazines.

Another fix would be to move the loot-bonus from perks to candy. You buy the builder-candy and you get a sixth sense for workstation-, electricity-, and traps-magazines for example.

It seems like the magazine system was halfway based on the schematic system that's utilized in the Undead Legacy overhaul mod. The biggest difference between the two is that in Vanilla we use perk points to influence RNG, which is still just a game of chance, but in UL there is also a Research Table workstation so that you can use research tech acquired from scrapped schematics to learn other recipes. 

So I have a question, and if you don't have the answer that's alright. But my question is this: Is the dev team negatively disposed to the idea of a research system that allows players to focus in on specific crafting skill trees? 

I remember reading a mod post stating that changes happen iteratively for a reason, so I know an additional system like this wouldn't be likely to appear within a week. I'm just curious if that's an idea you might have heard in any of the interactions you might've had with the dev team.

I'm with OP. Played three maps since A21 and in all three, I didn't have a Forge within 7 days. In one, I didn't have a Dew Collector within 7 days, either. I don't mind "slower progression", but I do dislike that there's no RNG proofing at all with so many things locked behind the workbench. It'd be something else if there was a lower level work bench or if some things could be done without it.

Like compare the Chemistry Station vs the Campfire. The Chemistry Station is needed for really advanced stuff, but you an make First Aid Bandages without one, and even Antibiotics, with the cost being they require more materials at the Campfire.

There needs to be a lower level Workbench/Forge if the normal ones are going to take this long to get access to, and/or letting you craft some of the things on your person at a higher cost. Not having the Chem Station until later isn't as much an issue since you have an alternative if it takes you ages and RNG is against you getting one. Imagine, for example, if you could make Shotgun Shells and 9mm ammo without a Workbench (just from your inventory), but they cost more resources to do so. And likewise, if you were allowed to craft Tier 2 weapons and gear (the ones just above primitive, so the basic 9mm Handgun, sawed off Double Barrel shotgun, etc). Indeed, you can already do this with one weapon type in the game - the Wooden Bow and Iron Arrows already works with this premise (provided you can find Iron Arrowheads...). Once you unlock the Wooden Bow quality 1, you can make one right then and there provided you have the parts.

Maybe if other weapons and ammo worked that way - where the Tier 3 and up weapons and the AP and specialty ammos required a workbench but either the basic ones did not or required something like a ammo repacking kit that you could carry on your person or just outright craft from your inventory at a bit higher cost - then this wouldn't be an issue. Hell, country boys repack their own ammo pretty frequently, especially on shotguns. Shouldn't need a specialty item to get access to that.

6 hours ago, pApA^LeGBa said:

In A20 that wasn´t the case. Rads seem to come way earlier and we also never reached demos that early wich is due to the new formula for group gamestage i guess. 

Group gamestage (the one used for horde nights) was broken for POIs.  It was fixed in A21 which is probably why your feeling an increased difficulty.  Especially if you choose to go to a higher difficulty biome.

8 hours ago, CapnCookie said:

It seems like the magazine system was halfway based on the schematic system that's utilized in the Undead Legacy overhaul mod. The biggest difference between the two is that in Vanilla we use perk points to influence RNG, which is still just a game of chance, but in UL there is also a Research Table workstation so that you can use research tech acquired from scrapped schematics to learn other recipes. 

So I have a question, and if you don't have the answer that's alright. But my question is this: Is the dev team negatively disposed to the idea of a research system that allows players to focus in on specific crafting skill trees? 

I remember reading a mod post stating that changes happen iteratively for a reason, so I know an additional system like this wouldn't be likely to appear within a week. I'm just curious if that's an idea you might have heard in any of the interactions you might've had with the dev team.

I don't have any interactions with the dev team except by reading what they post on the forum. So I don't know the answer.

Just now, meganoth said:

I don't have any interactions with the dev team except by reading what they post on the forum. So I don't know the answer.

Ah, that's unfortunate. Oh well, perhaps they'll see it and float the idea around the team.