RWG - Starting Trader / Spawn Points

Riamus

I wanted to give some feedback about RWG, the starting trader, and spawn points in A21.

• Right now, spawn points can be really far from a starting trader.  If you want to allow this, I think there should be an option when creating a RWG map to either keep spawn points within something like 750m from a trader or to allow for a larger distance.  Most players probably will not want to run long distances to find the first trader.
  • The starting trader (the one you are sent to from the starting quest) should be a trader attached to a town.  It should never be a trader in the wilderness.  The quests from such a trader will mostly all be far away because they don't have a town nearby.  At level 1 without transportation, this becomes frustrating as you're spending forever running around for quests.  Again, if you really want this to be an option, then have it as an option when making a RWG map.

While I would venture that up to 1.5k is an okay distance from a trader, I definitely emphatically agree about the first trader being in a town.  If I find my first trader is not in a town, I just restart.  Back in A16.4 when traders were less important, I was okay with them being out in the wilderness, but now being an almost necessity, them being out in the middle of nowhere isn't great.

I like RWG options. I think it would be great to be able to influence the placement of both spawn points and traders through options.

• @Vaeliorin would like to place all Traders in Towns, which I think is cool. That is, no traders in the Wilderness or on Country Tiles.
  • I'd like the opposite. I'd like Traders to only land in the Wilderness or perhaps a Country Tile that is not connected to a Town.
    • My thoughts are towns are dangerous, so Traders set up in the wild.
  • Setting a distance to the start mission Trader would be nice too. Perhaps your starting supplies scale with the distance.

9 minutes ago, zztong said:

I like RWG options. I think it would be great to be able to influence the placement of both spawn points and traders through options.

• @Vaeliorin would like to place all Traders in Towns, which I think is cool. That is, no traders in the Wilderness or on Country Tiles.
  • I'd like the opposite. I'd like Traders to only land in the Wilderness or perhaps a Country Tile that is not connected to a Town.
  • Setting a distance to the start mission Trader would be nice too. Perhaps your starting supplies scale with the distance.

I don't think they want all traders in towns.  They, like me, want the starter trader to be in a town.  After that, it really doesn't matter where they are.

I understand your view in trader placement being only in the wilderness and I'd be fine with that if you started with a bike or if there were guaranteed quests within 500-600m.  But when most quests are 800m to over 1km from those traders, it is very hard without a bike and lower water amounts.  I know dinner are fine with that but I'd prefer not staying out that way.

37 minutes ago, zztong said:

Yeah, like Riamus said, I'd like the first trader to be in a town.  It's just way too much of a hassle for your first trader to not be in a town when questing and trading has become fairly integral to the game.  I'd be tempted to go so far as to want my first trader to be in a city that has downtown, industrial and commercial districts (basically one of the big cities) but that's mostly because I hate moving bases.

Edited by Vaeliorin (see edit history)

10 hours ago, ElCabong said:

So far all of my traders have been fairly close to my spawn point. 

Hasn't been the case for me, I often have 2-3km runs to the first trader. Because the quest doesn't look for the nearest trader, it looks for the nearest one in the forest biome specifically. One time I spawned near a trader in the desert and the quest still sent me to one 2.5km away in the forest, even though the desert trader was not even 250m away from my start position.

I also wish they would put the trader back where it used to be in towns in A20, so tired of a trader buried in the middle of the residental area with no good spot to base nearby. In a20 it was always on the outer side of the residental sections. Not in the middle of it like it is now.

6 hours ago, Vaeliorin said:

Yeah, like Riamus said, I'd like the first trader to be in a town.  It's just way too much of a hassle for your first trader to not be in a town when questing and trading has become fairly integral to the game.  I'd be tempted to go so far as to want my first trader to be in a city that has downtown, industrial and commercial districts (basically one of the big cities) but that's mostly because I hate moving bases.

Yeah I am the same way, once I settle down I don't move my base ever, and with how A21 generates cities now, with the trader being sometimes buried in the middle of the town surrounded on all sides by poi's I often have to generate several maps in a row before I get a decent one. in A20 I could use basically any map it generated cuz the trader was always in a good spot with a field nearby to build a base on. I just had to retry till I got a decent sized town, and not trader rekt (cuz hes an a-hole), but once I got the town size I want and the trader I always knew I had a spot for a base.

Back in a16.4 traders never spawned in towns, you'd be lucky if one was within 400 meters of the town. Glad that changed. Though it seems in a21 they are starting to spawn in random spots in the wilderness again and when I get a map like that I usually just delete the world and generate a new one if thats where my first trader is located.

Edited by Scyris (see edit history)

Yeah, spawn points need work.  I would also like the option when inviting someone to the game I host to specify that I want them to spawn at the closest spawn point to my position if they haven't previously played in that game.  When you invite someone to play the game with you and they spawn 4km away, it is not great.  Yes, you can teleport them to you but that shouldn't be necessary, imo.

As far as trader placement, I think it should be an option.  I actually like the traders in other places rather than the same spot on every town.  It just looks better that way, imo.  Yes, you can't always put a base right next to the trader and I admit I usually did just that in A20 but I still like the variance (some on the edge, some in a district, some in the wilderness) in placement.  The only problem is trying to find them sometimes.  That and having the first trader not being in a town as I said in the original post.

Edited by Riamus (see edit history)