A21 Learn by reading: a cool system, but super imbalanced.

OgreSlayeR

2 hours ago, boban said:

Are :D

Yeah, it’s not finished but it is getting closer and with each development cycle the game gets closer to the design the developers desire which means that if your desires run contrary to theirs then you may have to alter the game in some way. The good news is that it is easy to alter so there will be many many variations out there for anyone to get the experience they want.

11 hours ago, Roland said:

It’s interesting that you say that when in every game I play with A21 I am still surviving, crafting, and building. I’m still prepping for horde nights. I’m still doing everything I have done plus more since I began playing this game. 

Another thing that is interesting is that you talk about how much you dislike the amount of looting and shooting but at the same time can’t wait for bandits. What do you think bandits are going to bring to the game if not more looting and shooting?  Did you think the bandits are going to help you survive, craft, and build? They’re not. They will be new targets to shoot and their lairs will be new places to loot. 

This game is meant to be played in the default version by doing many activities that complement each other. Only wanting to focus on a few of them is fine but it is going to require some adjustments to settings or modding. Maybe it used to not be that way but that was only because there were so many unfinished aspects of the game. 

Perhaps things aren’t turning out the way you and some others wanted but to say this game is only a looter shooter when it used to be a survival crafting and building game is simply a narrow and extreme view. Most players still build, craft, survive, loot, shoot, melee, explore, cook, mine, farm, quest, and accomplish whatever personal objectives they’ve given themselves. And that is because, in reality, all of those elements are still in the game despite the extreme perspective of a few. 

Thankfully there are mods for people who want to change the game to whatever they think defines a game as a survival, crafting, and building game. 

The main difference is now I have to loot to be able to build. It is bottle-necking my enjoyment. I am stuck doing nothing but looting until I can build a workbench, forge, get a crucible. There is no point building with cobble. I need concrete. So I live in a gas station hoping to one day find the magazines I need. It has been 5 real life days. On day 22 now in game. I am on 16/75 on workbenches.

Oh the bandits are not gonna come to you and attack? I was hoping they would come in and steal my stuff. oh, well.

How is everyone's experience now with the latest patch that nerfed finding mags a bit? So far I feel it feels a lot better and balanced (although a bit early to say, perhaps), but it's hard to compare it cause I had godly RNG with my first world being spawned near a big city with a big Crack- A-Book store, tons of mail boxes, a trader etc.

My current world is decent with a small town near the trader and I looted 1 small Crack -A-Book store and several mail boxes and other misc boxes. I'm currently sitting with a Q2 Wood Club compared to a Q5 Stone Spear (which was achieved right before Day 2) on the morning of Day 2.

Edited by OgreSlayeR (see edit history)

8 hours ago, Cattrina said:

The main difference is now I have to loot to be able to build. It is bottle-necking my enjoyment. I am stuck doing nothing but looting until I can build a workbench, forge, get a crucible. There is no point building with cobble. I need concrete. So I live in a gas station hoping to one day find the magazines I need. It has been 5 real life days. On day 22 now in game. I am on 16/75 on workbenches.

Oh the bandits are not gonna come to you and attack? I was hoping they would come in and steal my stuff. oh, well.

The RPG-style progression was always "in the cards" for this game. If your goal in building is to survive the bloodmoon horde then cobblestone is quite on par with the horde you get at that time and not useless. And since it is upgradable it also isn't a dead-end.

If your goal in building is artistic though you should turn on creative menu. The same goes if you are megalomaniac builder without time 😉

14 minutes ago, meganoth said:

If your goal in building is to survive the bloodmoon horde then cobblestone is quite on par with the horde you get at that time and not useless.

In A21, it depends on which biome you're in. In the desert, a horde on day 7 might be too much for cobblestone, and if you're in the winter biome or the wasteland, concrete is the absolute minimum. But for the pine forest, the point is true. I fought the day 7 horde in a cobblestone base and had hardly any damage.

Edited by RipClaw (see edit history)

A21 Build 317 really nerfed the skill book bundles.... but skill boxes were way too OP and common (imho) earlier.  Now in my new game, I'm actually picking different rewards, sometimes.  The intent was clearly to slow down the player game progression... and this has definitely done that.

Edited by Lumpus (see edit history)

I found it also depends on where you spawn in.  I spawn in next to a very small town with not a lot of POIs in it.  Progression is slower because you don't have all of those news stands to loot.

Right now, as an agility build, I can only craft Q2 bone knives (though I already found enough magazines to unlock the workbench).

50 minutes ago, BFT2020 said:

I found it also depends on where you spawn in.  I spawn in next to a very small town with not a lot of POIs in it.  Progression is slower because you don't have all of those news stands to loot.

Right now, as an agility build, I can only craft Q2 bone knives (though I already found enough magazines to unlock the workbench).

Very true, spawning near a city will give you a big head start cause you will find mags everywhere just it won't be quite as insane as it was before.