Tools Degrading in Quality again

Gatsu

4 hours ago, Rince said:

Too old to change now.

Nah, no you're not ;) Just start chugging them whenever convenient. Althou the health system is 7dtd is pretty decent for that, you'll want to keep almost full health at the cost of bandages, it doesn't really feel like a waste.

I don't really think "what if I need it later" would apply for tools or guns here, you'll have to carry it if you're planning on "needing it", and there's nothing really you can't do with a tier worse thing. No hard caps as it is.

As for losing stuff, well, it's possible, but it isn't all that common outside pvp scenarios designed for that. You drop stuff when you die, you do a corpse run to get it back, only in rare cases can you actually lose stuff that way. And while that threat has been real for you, you haven't stopped carrying your best gear in case you might need it after a death? ;)

Agree too. Lifetime of tools should fade by time definitely. Also: Mods shouldn`t be removable, you can buy, find and also craft them. Definitely no need for keeping and moving them all the time long. Both steals the game its neat survival mechanic. The beginning of each world is always the most enjoyable part of the game to me, because of lacking this inflation of top items, top mods and so on. But i don`t want complain too much. There are mods and TFP could also include more options to make it possible to play like this. Also zombie spawn rate should be adjustable ingame, max difficulty is just silly after you solved plenty of hours and more zombies create a greater challenge to more experienced players.

1 hour ago, Lokeus said:

Agree too. Lifetime of tools should fade by time definitely. Also: Mods shouldn`t be removable, you can buy, find and also craft them. Definitely no need for keeping and moving them all the time long. Both steals the game its neat survival mechanic. The beginning of each world is always the most enjoyable part of the game to me, because of lacking this inflation of top items, top mods and so on. But i don`t want complain too much. There are mods and TFP could also include more options to make it possible to play like this. Also zombie spawn rate should be adjustable ingame, max difficulty is just silly after you solved plenty of hours and more zombies create a greater challenge to more experienced players.

Why wouldn't you be able to remove a mod?  Take a silencer - In real life, this can be added and removed.  Same for a gun barrel, though with some extra work than a silencer.  Even nails in a bat can be removed even though they leave holes.

18 hours ago, Riamus said:

Why wouldn't you be able to remove a mod?  Take a silencer - In real life, this can be added and removed.  Same for a gun barrel, though with some extra work than a silencer.  Even nails in a bat can be removed even though they leave holes.

You are right of course, but for gameplay purpose it would be much more exciting if this option would miss out. Did you ever count amount of mods you got in mid / end game? It is nice to craft cool items to sell, but i don`t think this should be the main use of mods for mid and end game, i mostly ignore them in progressed game

6 hours ago, Lokeus said:

You are right of course, but for gameplay purpose it would be much more exciting if this option would miss out. Did you ever count amount of mods you got in mid / end game? It is nice to craft cool items to sell, but i don`t think this should be the main use of mods for mid and end game, i mostly ignore them in progressed game

By late game, almost everything is just something to sell.  Ammo and base repair resources are really the only things that I actually use late game.  Everything else just gets sold of piles up in chests.  By that point, it's really a good time to think about a new game than trying to find ways to make use of the stuff that isn't being used, though.  And in early game, this leaves you with a choice of holding onto that mod you like for a very long time rather than putting it on something and using it just because you don't want to waste it on a lower level item.  I suppose some people like being forced to make that kind of choice but it really doesn't interest me.

20 hours ago, Riamus said:

By that point, it's really a good time to think about a new game than trying to find ways to make use of the stuff that isn't being used, though. 

It wouldn`t be a time to think about that if the game forces you to just keep collecting some more things in late game to survive. I also like to start a new game because it is just boring to see rising a steel base only made with one tool. This as senseless as my idea to lock mods into items of course. We both start a new game because we know that there is no more to do in the late game and you. In a horde survival game i expect mechanics which force me anytime to think about next source of getting stuff to survive. So infinite durability of food for example makes end game also boring. Doesn`t matter how experienced i am in late game, my player character should never be able to repair everything in the game into perfect state. This game definitely need more consumption, also on vehicles. At the same time it should give you more options to be mobile, not only by trying to fix cars standing around, but also using skateboards or roller skates instead of bicycle. The immersion would win a lot by always finding new ways to survive. There are a lot of options right now, but transience should be the core of the game to let you having fun in only one game for a very very long time. But yes i can understand too if players disagree as they just want to get in a state of halfgods, it`s fun too, but then... you stop playing because it gets boring.

On 6/13/2023 at 6:47 PM, Riamus said:

By late game, almost everything is just something to sell.  Ammo and base repair resources are really the only things that I actually use late game.  Everything else just gets sold of piles up in chests.  By that point, it's really a good time to think about a new game than trying to find ways to make use of the stuff that isn't being used, though.  And in early game, this leaves you with a choice of holding onto that mod you like for a very long time rather than putting it on something and using it just because you don't want to waste it on a lower level item.  I suppose some people like being forced to make that kind of choice but it really doesn't interest me.

Even if you want to "save up" some mod for that special weapon I am pretty sure you would install it into your low-level weapon as soon as you have found a second one. Because then you still have one left for that special weapon.

Edited by meganoth (see edit history)

On 6/13/2023 at 12:47 PM, Riamus said:

It might just surprise you.  At the tail end of A20, I had (in my mod) removed the ability to repair items and removed the ability to remove mods from items.  It does force you to make choices, but I found the gameplay more intense and a lot more consequences.  Now you can't just put the mod into an item you find while looting to free up that spot, unless you want to keep it in that item in the first place.  You end up having to replace items constantly so you have to choose where you are going to put your parts and resources.  I sacrifice creating T3 gear just to save up on steel and iron for base upgrades.

And you start keeping those extra mods you find while looting because you know you are going to need it later.