SMG5 Needs Some Love

Sorry, bit of a gripe here... I just built my first SMG5 in A20 - I'm playing on a coop world so I get to branch out in my build instead of relying on looting for weapons. At the same time I'm watching a supercut of some A19 gameplay and someone is using the SMG from that version.

The A20 smg looks terrible. Aiming down the sights is an ugly picture. I put a red dot sight on it to try and remedy this and it looked worse. I know they overhauled the guns for A20 to make them look more scrappy - the AK and Shotgun, Lever Action Rifle and Machine Gun look great - but the SMG5 doesn't look as good as they do. The A19 SMG5 looked more like an HK MP5 and has more detail. The sight picture was better to the eye, and the red dot was less jarring.

There's a bunch of alternative SMG designs which could be cool  - I've included a picture. The Lancaster and Thompson are a little obvious, but the Kriss Vector and the Spectre M4 could look very fitting if made a little patchwork and scrappy.SMG5.thumb.png.e2e125ac5f23c7341853054a0afa7902.png

I've never understood why we need so many 'firearm realism' threads.

I've seen it the same phenomena in sci-fi games like Destiny 2.

No one is EVER happy, no matter how it looks.  Soon you'll get arguments about rare scenarios where someone had custom built or modded any given firearm within 5 minutes and produced an entirely different weapon.

I rather like the SMG as it is, tbh.

I've always found it odd that they've used the MP-5 as a base design for the smg. Not from a visual recognition standpoint, the MP-5 is more or less cemented as the stereotypical thing people think of when they hear the term, but from a post cluster@%$# build and maintain standpoint. To me the bolt mechanism on a roller delay is a bit outside of what should be expected with any consistency from a garage workbench. An Uzi, Mac 10, Grease gun or other simple blowback would have made more sense. /shrug

I wasn't seeking realism - that was never the point.

The other weapons look better designed overall -- even the pipe guns are awesome to use. The SMG stands out as not looking like it's had as much thought put into it. The iron sights are a simple white spike at the front, and the red dot when you stick it on looks like a stick-model of a church window. I think it is less visually interesting and less engaging than the other guns, and for this reason not as fun to use.

I suggested the Vector and the Spectre because they look somewhat like something which could have been cobbled together in a scrapyard already, from pressed metal and moulded plastics. Scrap them up a bit more visually and they'd match the setting and just be more visually interesting. If you remember playing Brink, it has some very chunky and scrappified weapons for the Resistance side.

If nothing else, a better sight picture for the smg5 and a better red dot sight would be nice. For what it's worth, once I put it on the ground it still seems to be the MP5 model, it just doesn't look like it when I pick it up.

6 hours ago, Ramethzer0 said:

I think the most I'd ever ask for from TFP about smg's is maybe update the overall HK model to the UMP.

Brink sets a good style there, as well, I think. Not expecting TFP to go overboard just owing to my gripe, but I'm thinking that the pistol, smg and double barrelled shotgun are maybe yet to receive a bigger overhaul.

image.thumb.jpeg.4b8ad9a3b762460f477cdffae1aeea2f.jpeg

I rolled up into this thread thinking OP was wanting the SMG buffed so I was like "lolwut?" 😛

I've used the SMG extensively in A20 without much issue, but if I could have one change: A T3 weapon shouldn't be using a massive Mega Crush can as a silencer...or if it is, maybe wrap it a la how silencers appear on the sniper rifle?  Very pet peeve level request of mine and no, it won't stop me from using the SMG when I go agility builds in the future 😀