7 Days to Die not limited to your home

Kinda felt like he did a lot of that on the cheap. Recognised a cheap EP Solar controller mounted on the wall, the mobile hotspot instead of a proper RV mounted modem. Then just sloppy stuff like no fan grill to protect fingers/hair from the fan. 

Maybe it just stuck out to me because I have plans to build an RV, and do it well. Not van life so much as grey nomad. 

Caveat - I did jump straight to the 5 min mark so no context.

42 minutes ago, RipClaw said:

You can take it with you for sure. 7 Days runs on Steam Deck.

Looks just like a Gamegear from SEGA.

So many people complain about poor performance from mid-range PCs, I cannot even imagine what the game looks like on this. I guess the 320x200 resolution would not need much processing power, but I could not play on on one of these. I could barely play Sonic on a Gamegear back in the day. I wanted a DOS PC to play RPG games. There was only one RPG on the Gamegear that I tried and it was a JRPG and I really did not like it at all.

I remember the Gamegear eating batteries like mad as well. I think it was about 2-3 hours per sets of batteries. I think I traded it in for a SNES so I could play Eye of the Beholder, Might and Magic III and Ultima VI. Then I got my DOS PC and it was all CRPG except for Half Life and Thief the Dark Project.

I guess I just need any little cue to reminisce about the Good Ol' Days of gaming.

Edited by bobrpggamer (see edit history)

35 minutes ago, Pernicious said:

Kinda felt like he did a lot of that on the cheap. Recognised a cheap EP Solar controller mounted on the wall, the mobile hotspot instead of a proper RV mounted modem. Then just sloppy stuff like no fan grill to protect fingers/hair from the fan. 

Maybe it just stuck out to me because I have plans to build an RV, and do it well. Not van life so much as grey nomad. 

Caveat - I did jump straight to the 5 min mark so no context.

I have seen a couple of these videos on custom RVs and I always wanted to do something like that, but I would choose a box truck to get a custom room like feel. I cannot stand the usual class B RVs due to the same split couch/table and that is it. With a box truck you have the opportunity to get something like a studio apartment.

1 hour ago, bobrpggamer said:

Looks just like a Gamegear from SEGA.

It's a handheld console. Therefore, a similar design is to be expected.

Unlike the Gamegear, however, the Steam Deck has a lot more under the hood. An APU from AMD based on Zen 2 architecture, 16GB LPDDR5 RAM and a display with a resolution of 1280 × 800 pixels. SteamOS (Linux) is used as the operating system and even many Windows games run on it thanks to Proton. For example, Cyberpunk 2077 runs with constant 30 FPS.

Edited by RipClaw (see edit history)

On 5/9/2023 at 8:40 AM, RipClaw said:

It's a handheld console. Therefore, a similar design is to be expected.

Unlike the Gamegear, however, the Steam Deck has a lot more under the hood. An APU from AMD based on Zen 2 architecture, 16GB LPDDR5 RAM and a display with a resolution of 1280 × 800 pixels. SteamOS (Linux) is used as the operating system and even many Windows games run on it thanks to Proton. For example, Cyberpunk 2077 runs with constant 30 FPS.

Well that's just amazing, really. Of course the idea of terabyte flash drives back in the day would seem impossible as well. Some generation down the line will be thinking having large computer cases was crazy and all the PCs will fit into a PlayStation size case, who knows.

On 5/9/2023 at 7:19 AM, Pernicious said:

Kinda felt like he did a lot of that on the cheap. Recognised a cheap EP Solar controller mounted on the wall

to be fair its a VERY small amount of power he will ever be using at one time. Cheap or not, that controller is more than he needs. 

20 hours ago, warmer said:

to be fair its a VERY small amount of power he will ever be using at one time. Cheap or not, that controller is more than he needs. 

True, Not everything has to be premium. I made the comment as I bought two of them for stationary use. They weren't fantastic in their MPPT optimisation, but I didn't mind as they were cheap. My issue is that one lasted 18 months and the other died just before three years. 

I just imagined in a mobile application, they would be even less robust with additional heat and vibration, but given the very low power handling, perhaps that would be more relevant. I suspect for one at least, it was a mosfet burn out. The other was just dead, so no idea.