Cowboy Hat Mod

Riamus

1 hour ago, Riamus said:

Does anyone happen to know if the cowboy hat cosmetic mod was removed from the loot tables in 20.6?  It was there in 20.5, but I am pretty positive I haven't ever seen it drop in 20.6.

It's still there....

<lootgroup name="groupApparelHats">
	<!-- <item name="armorSantaHat" mods="dye" mod_chance="0"/> --> <!-- HOLIDAY_ITEM -->
	<item name="apparelSkullCap" mods="dye" mod_chance="0"/>
	<item name="apparelPressboyCap" mods="dye" mod_chance="0"/>
	<item name="apparelBallCap" mods="dye" mod_chance="0"/>
	<item name="apparelCowboyHat" mods="dye" mod_chance="0"/>
	<item name="modArmorSkullCap" loot_prob_template="low"/>
	<item name="modArmorPressboyCap" loot_prob_template="low"/>
	<item name="modArmorBallCap" loot_prob_template="low"/>
	<item name="modArmorCowboyHat" loot_prob_template="low"/>
	<item name="armorClothHat"/>
	<item name="armorFootballHelmet"/>
</lootgroup>

I was just looking at that, too.  I don't understand why I haven't seen it in a VERY long time.  I get plenty of the other hat cosmetic mods, but never the cowboy hat one.  Thanks for verifying that is should be there.

I'll have to keep looking... We've played through over a hundred days (at usually 120 min days!) and have not seen that mod once in probably the past 6 months or so.  Going to see if it appears in this new map as we've been doing a lot of the premade maps and maybe they have a lower than normal drop rate.

51 minutes ago, Riamus said:

I'll have to keep looking... We've played through over a hundred days (at usually 120 min days!) and have not seen that mod once in probably the past 6 months or so.  Going to see if it appears in this new map as we've been doing a lot of the premade maps and maybe they have a lower than normal drop rate.

They shouldn't, the rates should stay the same regardless of pre-made or RWG maps.  The thing that will reduce the chances of getting one is having less of the loot containers that might have it as one of the loot groups.

The item itself is a low chance, but it is in a subgroup that competes with many other subgroups when you come across it.  So first you have to get clothes as an loot group, then the hats subgroup, then that specific mod.  Interesting, it has the same chance of spawning as any other of the armor cosmetic mods.

Your best bet is to look into containers that you would expect to find clothes in - laundry, nightstands, lockers, etc.  If you are not hitting POIs that have those types of containers, you are less likely to find it (so if you avoid or minimize going into residential POIs, you are going to have fewer opportunities).

1 hour ago, BFT2020 said:

They shouldn't, the rates should stay the same regardless of pre-made or RWG maps.  The thing that will reduce the chances of getting one is having less of the loot containers that might have it as one of the loot groups.

The item itself is a low chance, but it is in a subgroup that competes with many other subgroups when you come across it.  So first you have to get clothes as an loot group, then the hats subgroup, then that specific mod.  Interesting, it has the same chance of spawning as any other of the armor cosmetic mods.

Your best bet is to look into containers that you would expect to find clothes in - laundry, nightstands, lockers, etc.  If you are not hitting POIs that have those types of containers, you are less likely to find it (so if you avoid or minimize going into residential POIs, you are going to have fewer opportunities).

Yeah, but it is the same loot chance and loot group as the ball cap mod and pressboy cap mod and skull cap mod, but I get those regularly and never see the cowboy hat mod.  Maybe it is lower chance since it is below the other cosmetic hat mods.

Can you change the loot chance while in an existing save?  Or is it like other things that changing an existing save will cause problems?  I might jump it to the next higher loot probability.

43 minutes ago, Riamus said:

Can you change the loot chance while in an existing save?  Or is it like other things that changing an existing save will cause problems?  I might jump it to the next higher loot probability.

Exit the game, change the value, and then it should take effect whenever RNG rolls the dice on that. If a container has already been loaded with the old RNG, it would not be affected until that is reset in the next loot cycle.

31 minutes ago, SylenThunder said:

Exit the game, change the value, and then it should take effect whenever RNG rolls the dice on that. If a container has already been loaded with the old RNG, it would not be affected until that is reset in the next loot cycle.

Thank you. 😁

And if you run into a Savage Country for "clothes" .. the shirt racks drop shirts, the pants racks drop pants, only the piles on the floor can give other things (like armor parts). Which is nice and immersive, but makes looting the racks mostly useful for dyes.. =/

Heh. I tend to loot all of it in the first week or two and then never return.  After you have clothes, there isn't much reason to return. I can find cloth easy enough without scraping clothes and you only need so much dye.  If they made dye a requirement to make colored paint that was applied to textures for walls and such, then I'd have much more use for looting the clothes stores after the first week or two. 😀