Game maps with an ending

paulj_3

While rambling along in the Tools/Teragon forum, and musing about Far Cry 4 - I remembered the challenge of all of those hugely-enjoyable and challenging (published) user-created "Far Cry 4" maps, because each map had an ending, whereas 7Days is pretty much infinite - not boring, by any means, but I find my maps will get played until I have a great base, a ton of firepower and good transport: I have no issues with that, and am thoroughly enjoying 7Days after playing and modding it for several years now - but it spawned a question:   so -
Q.
-> How would one go about limiting the spawning of a finite number of Zeds in a user map, such that a single map could be created as we normally do, but played out over the course of a few hours, or days, weeks - perhaps even longer - but it would have an ending, with no Zeds remaining?   I built my own 'normal' mod - ten folders, 2.03GB, and largely consisting of my own original xml stuff, with lots of code snippets and inspiration from others, like ZZTong, Guppy, KHaine, Stallion, n2n1, and many others (thanks all!), plus prefab pieces taken from all over - mainly CP nowadays.  It all works and I enjoy creating and playing, but I haven't studied this, but perhaps others might have, (and might have even done it!): I'd be interested to hear of other folks experiences, thoughts, and any ideas you might have.

Cheers,
pj

Hmmm.... After doing a "Google" on this subject - there are dozens of posts on the Weeb about it, going way back - most all of them arguing against it ever happening, and lots of suggestions about making the game 'more challenging', and 'permadeath' and such.
There doesn't seem to be much interest in pursuing this thread, so if you Moderators want to dump this one - be my guest!

I agree paulj_3, it would be great to have an ending.  I'm working on a mod hopefully done by end of March to have a story that gives some plot goals etc.  But to have the ability to "clear" the map 100% of zombies would be great.  Like, "Congratulations, you built your new home, you saved the other survivors, made the county safe to live in again!"  Green Hell for example has a story ending and a survival "forever" based mode.  

I think, hope, that the TFM developers realize how great a platform this game is and that it can be modded to so many different ends and playstyles without diminishing its original, core strengths.   

Cool!  Your points and ideas are very much aligned with mine, and I'm sure we're not the only ones who would like to see this as a branch of the main game being created. Teragon has given us the ability to create 1k maps now, and that solves the need for a small playing area. Mountains would also serve a useful purpose in that respect too.  A "Super-Quest", perhaps? A single castle or fortress to be taken? A single town to be cleared?  I know there are are a good number of very, very smart programmers who play and produce mods for this game - who are much more capable than me, but it would be nice if one (or more) would jump on this idea. . . . .  just sayin' . . . . .     😉  😁 

I'd not really thought about clearing a map, but I have thought about clearing a town, building a wall around it, and placing beds as if I were making a survivor refuge. If the game could associate a state with settlement Tiles, maybe something like the "bedroll effect" would be possible on a larger scale?

. . .  such as after the first house/skyscraper/gas station/farm/what-have-you is cleared - the bedroll effect "happens", and then, when a second one is cleared - a second segment of the "br' happens, adding to the first segment - and then continuing on until all twenty tiles (for e.g.) are cleared? Is it possible to expand the size of the br?

Edited by paulj_3 (see edit history)

Well you'd need some c# mods to make that happen, but what you *could* do currently is create a quest based map, where there are fixed points that a player must go through in order to complete objectives, the last of which could be say, a helicopter rendezvous at the top of a building for an escape.

...that then crashes, leaving you naked and alone on a deserted road, where you wake up with just a few supplies in your inventory... and a concussion that made you lose your memories... 😃

Edited by Guppycur (see edit history)

. . . .  and we could call it "Guppy's Past - Revisited". . . 

But I reckon you're right on, Gup: the quest-based route would be the way to go as a first go-round. That would lead to some wider interest and hence experimentation to make it 'better'. Someone "well-known" 'experienced' 'recognizable' could lead the way; suggesting possibilities and giving advice and ideas - that would really make it take off!
D'ya know anyone of that caliber, GupHmm?

Not a modder myself, but I am wondering if a full map clear could even be possible?  Does the game track where zombies are in unloaded chunks?  I mean, you can disable POI resets to avoid those zombies and prevent spawns from happening altogether, but would there even be a way to generate all zombies at start across the entire map and then track them across chunks when the chunks are unloaded so you can kill them all?  Maybe it is possible, but just thinking about how the game works, I think that may not really be an option unless you are creating your own zombie spawn and tracking (ZSAT 😁) system to manage zombies across chunks.  I could see that working with a C# mod, but I have a feeling anything else wouldn't work.

On 3/2/2023 at 2:31 PM, paulj_3 said:

. . . .  and we could call it "Guppy's Past - Revisited". . . 

But I reckon you're right on, Gup: the quest-based route would be the way to go as a first go-round. That would lead to some wider interest and hence experimentation to make it 'better'. Someone "well-known" 'experienced' 'recognizable' could lead the way; suggesting possibilities and giving advice and ideas - that would really make it take off!
D'ya know anyone of that caliber, GupHmm?

No habla Ingles. :)

On 3/2/2023 at 3:15 PM, Guppycur said:

...that then crashes, leaving you naked and alone on a deserted road, where you wake up with just a few supplies in your inventory... and a concussion that made you lose your memories... 😃

7 Groundhog Days To Die