teragon maps

crimson_binome

6 hours ago, spud42 said:

thats a 16K map! those cities are huge...

Lol. Compared to RWG, yes.  But with Teragon, I often have cities that large even on an 8k map.  And it really wasn't about the size of the cities, but that there is so much unused space that exploring wouldn't be worthwhile.  Why have a large map if you'll only ever used a quarter of it because the rest is empty? 😁

Edited by Riamus (see edit history)

A little heads up on the next version (unknown when it'll be ready and released):

Road generation speeds increased significantly.  Still being worked on and may change, but at the moment, I am generating side roads with 150 POI on an 8k map in about 32 minutes and completing an 8k map with 22 towns and 150 POI in about 45 minutes start to finish compared to what used to take about 1.5 hours for about 100 POI on an 8k map in earlier versions.  So at least twice as fast.  I think this will make all of you very happy as it will save you a ton of time. **Note that this is on a map without needing any bridges.  Bridges still take a very long time, but that should change once they are fixed.

Bridges are being worked on and will hopefully be fixed for the next version.

You will be able to place biomes within a height range anywhere you want on the map, which lets you do things like use a noise biome with snow on mountaintops or have different mountaintops with different biomes or different biomes in different parts of the map (rectangle-based areas).  It'll give you a lot more freedom in your biomes.

An Interrupt button has been added that allows you to stop generation after the current command finishes and then either continue, skip, or stop just like if an interrupt was set there.  This will let you stop generation if you want to without having to wait until you reach an interrupt that you had set up.

Ability to make certain POI spawn before others.  Spawns are based on total number on the map and the POI with the least copies on the map will always spawn next unless it has a spawn cap that has been reached.  This priority setting will be a tiebreaker if multiple POI have the same number of copies already on the map and are currently the least number on the map.

Ability to control where towns can be placed.

Statistics on your map preview showing many details about the map.

Changes to the gateway tile generation will give you more variety, especially if you have custom gateway tiles in addition to vanilla.

Just a few of the things you'll see in the next version.  :D

-------------------

Also, just a note on traders Bob and Hugh who do not show up right now.  The issue is related to rotation.  Pille said that if you were to edit the gateway tile so that the trader spot was square, it would appear in Teragon maps.  I may try looking at this myself, but I have little practice with POI editing, so not sure how well that'll work.  But if anyone else wants to try their hand at it, that's how you'd fix it.  This *will* be fixed in Teragon, but right now other things are taking a higher priority.  If anyone tries editing it and gets it working, maybe you can share the edited (custom) gateway tiles here for people to use in the meantime.

Teragon v0.41.0 is now released and the documentation has been updated.  There are many changes to this version and many new things in the documentation.  I recommend checking them out.

Regarding bridges-- Bridges have many improvements (see the Create Main Roads, Create Side Roads, and Create Road commands for additional parameters relating to bridges) and should be greatly improved.  However, they are not completely fixed and you may still have some problems with them.  But you should definitely see an improvement and no longer see overlapping bridges.

NOTE: Please be sure to read the new Initial Setup section in the documentation and adjust your presets accordingly.  This will save a lot of trouble for anyone you share your presets with.

1 hour ago, Shvonder said:

Version 41 adds pretty... strange lines and curves to ready heightmap. What could cause this? 🙂

Image_2023-03-21 1955.39.966.jpg

You're seeing elevation changes.  Even with contour lines turned off like you have done, you'll still see terrain changes.  If you're importing a heightmap, you may need to do some smoothing on it if you feel the changes are too rough.  Also remember that your water height will affect the edges of the land in your heightmap.

29 minutes ago, Riamus said:

You're seeing elevation changes.  Even with contour lines turned off like you have done, you'll still see terrain changes.  If you're importing a heightmap, you may need to do some smoothing on it if you feel the changes are too rough.  Also remember that your water height will affect the edges of the land in your heightmap.

But how smoothing works?

Anyway, i need help about water levels. Bottom on my map is 19 (out of 255), lowest surface is 66 (out of 255). What parameters should i use in Sea Level and Flat Water map commands? Looks like i use them wrong.

1 hour ago, Shvonder said:

But how smoothing works?

Anyway, i need help about water levels. Bottom on my map is 19 (out of 255), lowest surface is 66 (out of 255). What parameters should i use in Sea Level and Flat Water map commands? Looks like i use them wrong.

Teragon has a Filter Gaussian command on the expert tab.  Raising that value will smooth things.  Erosion can also help some.  Otherwise, people usually smooth things using a paint program like Photoshop or Gimp.  If you make the map on Teragon instead of importing it, you have more control because Teragon is making the mountains.  The documentation I wrote explains a lot about that.

Set Sea Level is deprecated, so you can just remove it.  It never set water height anyhow.  The flat water height should be whatever level you want your water.  If the lowest terrain above water that you want is 66, set it to 65.  Raising or lowering it will adjust it as needed.  There is no set level because each map is different, especially with imported maps.

3 hours ago, Shvonder said:

Version 41 adds pretty... strange lines and curves to ready heightmap. What could cause this? 🙂

Image_2023-03-21 1955.39.966.jpg

I can't tell from the screenshot what you mean but note that Teragon uses not only contour lines to indicate elevation differences, but also shadows based on the local gradient. The later implies that a dark line in the preview does not necessarily mean a large absolute difference in height. Teragon doesn't modify an imported heightmap unless you apply commands after importing it.

Edited by Pille (see edit history)

14 minutes ago, Gamida said:

I have to ask. Is there anyway to make a perfectly flat map and have all the biomes?

I know it was possible in Kinggen. Am hoping it is possible in Teragon.

I know to most a flat map may be boring but I like it.

Yes, with low frequency and low width mountain and hill settings, you will have mostly flat.  You can also disable mountains and hills, though it gets tricky to have the land look okay when doing that.  If you happen to look in the discussions channel on Teragon discord, I had posted a couple test map presets earlier today that I use for testing.  They are both mostly flat.

Just keep in mind that these are for testing and are not good for games.  You would need to do some work on them for that, but it would get you at least started with terrain settings.  For biomes on mostly flat terrain, nose biomes are probably the best option.

2 minutes ago, Pille said:

@Riamus

You could use the command "Create Flat Heightmap". ;)

I have done that, but it usually doesn't work well without any other heightmap commands.  That's why I said it could get tricky.  😁 Probably some things that can be done to make it work well and easily, but I haven't spent much time testing that.

Maybe I'll do a little testing on that when I get home and figure it why it gave me trouble when trying just that.

flat map should not be hard.  make a canvas size 8192 x 8192 , for an 8K map, in gimp or photoshop and then floodfill it with a 30,30,30 grey. export as a 16 bit grey scale then use that as the height map and remove all height map commands.  to get all the bioms on the map you will need to create a biomws map and disable the generated ones.... 

smallpreview.thumb.jpg.9b93859979aec0e031af8b646e439dc5.jpg 

here is my first 0.41.0 map... still not all the traders just loel reckt and jen...

now im torn... i am 10 or 11 days into a game on the 0.40.0 map now i want to play this one..lol 

Thanks Pille for the work you are putting into this software.

1 hour ago, spud42 said:

to get all the bioms on the map you will need to create a biomws map and disable the generated ones.... 

Or just use Create Noise Biome Map and you'll get all biomes similar to RWG.  You could also use the multiple copies of the new Fill Elevation with Biome command set to all elevations and positioned to different areas of the map with different biomes selected.  However, that is rectangle-based, so your biomes would be rectangular if the terrain is flat, which isn't ideal.  But it would be another way to get all biomes on a flat map.  The Noise Biomes would be the better option, though.

1 hour ago, spud42 said:

smallpreview.thumb.jpg.9b93859979aec0e031af8b646e439dc5.jpg 

here is my first 0.41.0 map... still not all the traders just loel reckt and jen...

now im torn... i am 10 or 11 days into a game on the 0.40.0 map now i want to play this one..lol 

Thanks Pille for the work you are putting into this software.

Nice map!

Here's one I just completed in 0.41.0.  It really needs more forest and less desert, and probably fewer wilderness POI, but I like it.  I didn't do roads to the wilderness POI.  I like how the roads go around the towns.

image.thumb.png.f94ef8f4a791197d8c072997705721cd.png

Btw, I added info on the Create Main Roads, Create Side Roads, and Create Road commands in the latest update to the documentation regarding the "State" parameter.  This parameter determines the condition (state) of the roads being made.  If it is less than 100, your roads will be less then perfect condition.  There will be occasional gaps and such to make them look overgrown/damaged.  If you want the roads to be nice and "clean", set this to 100.  Just mentioning it here as that is easy to miss in the documentation if you've already read the stuff on roads since it wasn't documented before because I didn't know what it did.

cheers Riamus,

i lowered the desert to 28 and set dithering to 3. adjusted the biome type heights a bit and lowered the erosion from 60 to 40 i think.

i also changed the river to 2000 to hopefully get less steep banks but i m not sure it made enough difference. 

1 issue and i think its a 7DTD issue not specific to Teragon , but there are a LOT of empty poi spots on the city tiles. especially in the smaller towns of 3 or 4 tiles there seems to be more empty spaces than filled... western towns seem to be the worst for this... and that empty POI that is always across from the trader. i think i am going to comment it out from the poi list and see what happens... lol

a question, there is a value in the bridge building command for a limit of 250. do you know if thats is 250 blocks long as a bridge limit?

P.S. if anybody wants to try a map i post a picture of just ask and i will upload a link. 

Edited by spud42 (see edit history)

4 hours ago, spud42 said:

cheers Riamus,

i lowered the desert to 28 and set dithering to 3. adjusted the biome type heights a bit and lowered the erosion from 60 to 40 i think.

i also changed the river to 2000 to hopefully get less steep banks but i m not sure it made enough difference. 

1 issue and i think its a 7DTD issue not specific to Teragon , but there are a LOT of empty poi spots on the city tiles. especially in the smaller towns of 3 or 4 tiles there seems to be more empty spaces than filled... western towns seem to be the worst for this... and that empty POI that is always across from the trader. i think i am going to comment it out from the poi list and see what happens... lol

a question, there is a value in the bridge building command for a limit of 250. do you know if thats is 250 blocks long as a bridge limit?

P.S. if anybody wants to try a map i post a picture of just ask and i will upload a link. 

River smoothing, as explained in the documentation, is how smooth corners are.  It has no effect on banks.  To have less banks, you need to adjust the river elevation to be closer to your terrain height, though that doesn't help when the river goes through hills or mountains as rivers are all a single height since water cannot change by slope.  You can also increase Flat Water Map elevation to within 1-2 of your river's elevation, though this does affect water everywhere.

If you have empty spots where POI are supposed to be, check your map to make sure you don't have any diamond icons next to the POI, which would indicate a problem with the POI.

There are 2 values for bridge building that are 250.  One is individual max blocks (meters) a bridge can cross and the other is the total max blocks that all bridges on a given road can cross.  This is explained in the documentation as well.

After reading spud42's post I realized that the rotation issue wasn't only affecting the traders but also other prefabs on certain tiles. But it's now fixed in the testing version of Teragon and this fix will be available as soon as I release 0.42.0.

@Riamus  on previous pages you talk about editing the POI property list to comment out certain POI's we might want removed.

could you let us know where this file is? i have spent a while now going through the Teragon files and the 7DTD files  and appdata files and cant find it.

Edited by spud42 (see edit history)