teragon maps

crimson_binome

On 7/17/2023 at 7:53 AM, spud42 said:

you have to get it from the discord.

For privacy reasons, I am unwilling to give Discord my phone number. There's no rational reason for them to need that unique identifier to my personal life.

Do you think it would be possible to post the download link here? I'm really keen to get going on world dev for A21.

Thanks a lot!

Par

8 hours ago, Par_A said:

For privacy reasons, I am unwilling to give Discord my phone number. There's no rational reason for them to need that unique identifier to my personal life.

Do you think it would be possible to post the download link here? I'm really keen to get going on world dev for A21.

Thanks a lot!

Par

If you already have Teragon, it will update automatically to the new version for A21.  Test versions are only available on discord as the links can change and they are for testing and feedback is needed and is far easier in a single location (discord).  I know the download link for the normal version of Teragon is on the forum as that is where I originally downloaded it from.  A search for something like "Teragon download" in the mods section will probably bring it up.  I think it might actually be in the kinggen thread.  I am not at my computer so don't have it in front of me.

As far as discord and phone numbers, I won't debate such things but will point out that it does help prevent spam bots and that a phone number is already public unless it is unlisted.

Edited by Riamus (see edit history)

The new version of Teragon is out.  Much of the documentation is now integrated into Teragon, though screenshots of examples and comparisons can still only be viewed in the documentation file.  The link to it is on the Help Center tab.  I recommend reviewing it with this new update as there has been a lot of new information and changes made to the documentation for this update.

Teragon's new UI allows you to dock and undock tabs to place them where you like.  This even allows you to use multiple monitors.  If you have any questions, feel free to ask here or on Teragon's Discord channel, which is the best place for answers.  The Discord link is on the Help Center tab.

On 7/23/2023 at 4:54 PM, Riamus said:

The new version of Teragon is out.  Much of the documentation is now integrated into Teragon, though screenshots of examples and comparisons can still only be viewed in the documentation file.  The link to it is on the Help Center tab.  I recommend reviewing it with this new update as there has been a lot of new information and changes made to the documentation for this update.

Teragon's new UI allows you to dock and undock tabs to place them where you like.  This even allows you to use multiple monitors.  If you have any questions, feel free to ask here or on Teragon's Discord channel, which is the best place for answers.  The Discord link is on the Help Center tab.

Good to hear. Does the new version of Teragon support A21 highway tiles now?

On 7/25/2023 at 1:26 AM, Riamus said:

I assume you mean the country tiles?  No.

Ah, okay. Hopefully soon, then. The large, isolated highway rest stops and intersections are probably my favorite new RWG feature in A21. I was bummed out when I realized Teragon wasn't generating them.

• 2 weeks later...

I have a liking for this setup. It gives you the feel of a bomb going off.

Lowest to high elevation-
Desert
Wasteland
Burnt Forest
Forest
Snow

In this map you spawn on the mountain by a rode with a few vehicles, like in the trailer :)

This is the result of hours of tinkering with height and smoothing setting for 20-ish parameters. 
Do we have an easy way to share teragon .ini presets?
image.thumb.png.c8cdd17da5af9006eba49e5b3b48e773.png

that would be a good idea. maybe dropbox link or google drive link to the preset? each time teragon updates i forget to save my presets and the get overwritten... 

note to self: go backup those presets!

i need to get back into this and try some height maps etc. need to learn how to generate a plasma in greyscale for height maps. ok off to google now to search.....

18 hours ago, warmer said:

I have a liking for this setup. It gives you the feel of a bomb going off.

Lowest to high elevation-
Desert
Wasteland
Burnt Forest
Forest
Snow

In this map you spawn on the mountain by a rode with a few vehicles, like in the trailer :)

This is the result of hours of tinkering with height and smoothing setting for 20-ish parameters. 
image.thumb.png.c8cdd17da5af9006eba49e5b3b48e773.png

Any of the file sharing services can be used.  You can also post good presets in the #presets channel on discord.  If you do, I would recommend using the format that is used for existing shared presets.

3 hours ago, spud42 said:

that would be a good idea. maybe dropbox link or google drive link to the preset? each time teragon updates i forget to save my presets and the get overwritten... 

note to self: go backup those presets!

i need to get back into this and try some height maps etc. need to learn how to generate a plasma in greyscale for height maps. ok off to google now to search.....

Your presets should not be removed during an update unless you are saving your changes onto the default preset instead of saving your own copy.  I have presets going back many months worth of Teragon.  Some have been updated for A21 and some haven't been (yet).

You do need to reload your preset after updating.  Maybe that is what you are experiencing.

FYI - The next release is going to allow you to make some very interesting maps.  This may be one of the most exciting releases, imo.  There are multiple new commands but 3 of them really stand out.

• Create Directional Environmental Biomes
    • This allows you to have biomes change based on location on the map while still using Environmental Biomes.  What this means is that you can have snow in the north of your map and desert in the south, for example.  It also allows an East/West direction and a radial direction.
  • Create Crevice
    • This allows you to create crevices on your map.  These crevices can have ambient light as well as white and/or black smoke coming out of them.  The crevices are made up of a main crevice and a number of side crevices based on the values you set in your parameters.  Be careful, though... there usually won't be a way out if you fall in!!  :D
  • Create Cliffed Coast
    • Ever want to have cliffs like the White Cliffs of Dover?  Now you can!  Not white, of course... unless you're in the snow.  This allows you to have cliffs near your water.  Below is a screenshot of a quick one I made in the desert biome.  Without using this command, that cliff would just be relatively flat terrain.

image.thumb.png.08e0a1c8ae64b150787b63689c4e214c.png

These commands will be explained in the documentation (both in the app and in the online documentation PDF) and screenshots and comparisons will be included in the online documentation.  The online documentation will be updated after Teragon is updated (within 24 hours at most).

I'd love to see some screenshots of your results when using these commands!

8 hours ago, Riamus said:

FYI - The next release is going to allow you to make some very interesting maps.  This may be one of the most exciting releases, imo.  There are multiple new commands but 3 of them really stand out.

• Create Directional Environmental Biomes
    • This allows you to have biomes change based on location on the map while still using Environmental Biomes.  What this means is that you can have snow in the north of your map and desert in the south, for example.  It also allows an East/West direction and a radial direction.
  • Create Crevice
    • This allows you to create crevices on your map.  These crevices can have ambient light as well as white and/or black smoke coming out of them.  The crevices are made up of a main crevice and a number of side crevices based on the values you set in your parameters.  Be careful, though... there usually won't be a way out if you fall in!!  :D
  • Create Cliffed Coast
    • Ever want to have cliffs like the White Cliffs of Dover?  Now you can!  Not white, of course... unless you're in the snow.  This allows you to have cliffs near your water.  Below is a screenshot of a quick one I made in the desert biome.  Without using this command, that cliff would just be relatively flat terrain.

image.thumb.png.08e0a1c8ae64b150787b63689c4e214c.png

These commands will be explained in the documentation (both in the app and in the online documentation PDF) and screenshots and comparisons will be included in the online documentation.  The online documentation will be updated after Teragon is updated (within 24 hours at most).

I'd love to see some screenshots of your results when using these commands!

Whoa! Fantastic new features! The only things missing from Teragon at this point are desert mesas and country tile support.

Any idea if Pille plans to eventually add support for stamps?

6 hours ago, EvilPolygons said:

Whoa! Fantastic new features! The only things missing from Teragon at this point are desert mesas and country tile support.

Any idea if Pille plans to eventually add support for stamps?

Yes, there are plans.  No details yet, though.  :)

Here are a couple of screenshots for you guys.  This is with v0.45.0.  

A map using the world generator 2 preset with a couple minor changes and a different seed from default.  This shows off crevices and the directional environmental biomes set to north/south.

image.thumb.png.3e95e91c239b239f6b7734473fe40c31.png

And a couple in-game shots of a crevice that happened to run up and down a section of road (these 2 are the same crevice with me floating above it in the middle of the crevice.  Better watch where you drive!  :)

image.thumb.png.f235b249f9a5dd00b3b8f2e88a0c5c0b.png

image.thumb.png.a2b6f5b6209310e3f9959182512862d7.png

On 8/4/2023 at 9:21 PM, warmer said:

Note: Pille is looking at a way to be able to share a preset as an image (similar idea as a QR code, though note quite the same thing) so you'd be able to share presets easily on a forum that doesn't allow sharing .ini files without needing to include all the text of the preset.  No time frame on when that will happen but it'll make sharing them easier.

31 minutes ago, Riamus said:

Note: Pille is looking at a way to be able to share a preset as an image (similar idea as a QR code, though note quite the same thing) so you'd be able to share presets easily on a forum that doesn't allow sharing .ini files without needing to include all the text of the preset.  No time frame on when that will happen but it'll make sharing them easier.

That would be great! Awesome map above by the way. I really like the cracks in the road, that's pretty interesting.

not a big fan of the crevice, disabled the crevice line and nearly 2 hrs later the map still hadent finished. seemed to be stuck.

i had to disable the start loop and end loop lines as well. 

have run 4 or 5 maps with riamus preset. not bad maps. cant seem to get a full water border though like i was getting with previous builds. 

Is there a way to invert the biomes in the directional biomes map? I know is trivial but those of us from down under have the snow in the south and the desert in the north.. lol

Edited by spud42 (see edit history)

On 8/12/2023 at 11:04 AM, spud42 said:

not a big fan of the crevice, disabled the crevice line and nearly 2 hrs later the map still hadent finished. seemed to be stuck.

i had to disable the start loop and end loop lines as well. 

have run 4 or 5 maps with riamus preset. not bad maps. cant seem to get a full water border though like i was getting with previous builds. 

Is there a way to invert the biomes in the directional biomes map? I know is trivial but those of us from down under have the snow in the south and the desert in the north.. lol

Strange that it's taking so long.  I can generate an 8k map with crevices in about 35min on the current build, including rivers, a crater, and main and side roads.  Cliffs will take a long time depending on your settings, as will craters and crevices.  These are similar to roads (especially side roads) in that they are going to be time consuming, so your choice is a longer generation or not using some or all of these features.

The second preset isn't designed for water all the way around the map.  If you want that, you can either change the preset or else use the first preset.  The second preset is for having a different style of map than the first.  Part of that is not having water surrounding the entire map.

As far as directional biomes, if you swap column A and column B, you'll get snow in the south.

Edit: Correction, you want to reverse the biomes in the command to get snow in the south.

Btw, if your concern about the crevice is that it was in the road, you can disable it from being across roads.  The example above was just showing it off.

@Riamus can we get a “reduce height” command? Something similar to the flood area that can basically remove height from the height map until it hits an elevation change or water? I have some “islands” that I don’t want. I can edit the height map then import it back but then that’s a whole change in the generation process. Would be nice to just have a command to do it in the generator. I’ve tried craters but then it’s a circle and for some reason when I get the elevations smooth I end up with one side as a straight line…

21 minutes ago, Shinrai said:

@Riamus can we get a “reduce height” command? Something similar to the flood area that can basically remove height from the height map until it hits an elevation change or water? I have some “islands” that I don’t want. I can edit the height map then import it back but then that’s a whole change in the generation process. Would be nice to just have a command to do it in the generator. I’ve tried craters but then it’s a circle and for some reason when I get the elevations smooth I end up with one side as a straight line…

There is already a subtract height map command but add with most commands, it functions across the entire map.  But what you seen to want to do on your map would probably be very easy to accomplish by just making a very simple height map by hand with solid white where the islands are and solid black everywhere else.  Import it with the right rotation and a height map name that is different from the rest of your height map name.  Then use subtract height map with that as the one being subtracted and your main height map at the original/target.

Just note that by using solid white, the ground under the water will be at bedrock.  You could use a very light gray to avoid that but you probably aren't going to see under the water there anyhow.

I would recommend keeping a backup of your main heightmap in case it doesn't do what you want.

33 minutes ago, Riamus said:

There is already a subtract height map command but add with most commands, it functions across the entire map.  But what you seen to want to do on your map would probably be very easy to accomplish by just making a very simple height map by hand with solid white where the islands are and solid black everywhere else.  Import it with the right rotation and a height map name that is different from the rest of your height map name.  Then use subtract height map with that as the one being subtracted and your main height map at the original/target.

Just note that by using solid white, the ground under the water will be at bedrock.  You could use a very light gray to avoid that but you probably aren't going to see under the water there anyhow.

I would recommend keeping a backup of your main heightmap in case it doesn't do what you want.

Yes I understand that process of either editing the height map or adding one to subtract. The problem with that is it’s unique to each seed generation. If there was a command you could disable or change the position. 

another odd thing I’m getting is no traders on 4k maps and on my 10k maps I end up with clusters of towns with no traders, and only 14 traders in total.

11 minutes ago, Shinrai said:

Yes I understand that process of either editing the height map or adding one to subtract. The problem with that is it’s unique to each seed generation. If there was a command you could disable or change the position. 

another odd thing I’m getting is no traders on 4k maps and on my 10k maps I end up with clusters of towns with no traders, and only 14 traders in total.

Even RWG has trouble getting traders on 4k maps in A21 due to how trader locations was changed.

Traders appearing will relate to what tiles they are allowed to appear on and if any are in the town.  Depending on your layout and extra link settings for each town type, you may have more or less chance of getting traders there.  There is also a minimum distance between traders and towns close together may prevent a trader from appearing in one of the towns.  Beyond that, it is all RNG.

Btw, if you are regularly getting islands, you may want to work on your preset.  Islands are not common in Teragon maps unless you manage to get specific combinations of settings to cause it.  If you don't want them, the easiest thing to do is change some settings in the preset, such as flat water elevation.

1 hour ago, Riamus said:

Even RWG has trouble getting traders on 4k maps in A21 due to how trader locations was changed.

Traders appearing will relate to what tiles they are allowed to appear on and if any are in the town.  Depending on your layout and extra link settings for each town type, you may have more or less chance of getting traders there.  There is also a minimum distance between traders and towns close together may prevent a trader from appearing in one of the towns.  Beyond that, it is all RNG.

Btw, if you are regularly getting islands, you may want to work on your preset.  Islands are not common in Teragon maps unless you manage to get specific combinations of settings to cause it.  If you don't want them, the easiest thing to do is change some settings in the preset, such as flat water elevation.

Islands are easy to reproduce. It’s all in the height maps. 

As to the towns, I generated a 4k earlier for testing and got 1 city, 1 old west and 2 towns. Not a single trader on the map. That’s some terrible rng…

Another note, seed does not appear to affect the towns. I changed the seed manually (as I setup a townseed variable) bypassing my variable and dropped a few different seeds in with every other setting left alone, every time would generate the exact same towns.