Electricity Tutorial

bobrpggamer

Does anyone know of a YouTube video tutorial that teaches you about hooking up pressure plates, switches, surveillance cameras, etc? Also can you give me a link to one or more please?

I forgot most of this, seeing how the last time I played was A19, and I do not want to waste resources on trial and error to learn again.

Thank you.

5 hours ago, bobrpggamer said:

Does anyone know of a YouTube video tutorial that teaches you about hooking up pressure plates, switches, surveillance cameras, etc? Also can you give me a link to one or more please?

I forgot most of this, seeing how the last time I played was A19, and I do not want to waste resources on trial and error to learn again.

Thank you.

I don't know of any video but if you had used it before in A19 maybe you could start a "test" game and use creative to get the items you need to set up some things.

Could then just delete that game after you have practiced a bit or someone has found a video of what you are looking for.

Sorry not more help. I haven't ever used the electricity myself to build traps. I probably should be looking for those vids myself lol.

3 hours ago, Gamida said:

I don't know of any video but if you had used it before in A19 maybe you could start a "test" game and use creative to get the items you need to set up some things.

Could then just delete that game after you have practiced a bit or someone has found a video of what you are looking for.

Sorry not more help. I haven't ever used the electricity myself to build traps. I probably should be looking for those vids myself lol.

Every time I use the Creative Menu I get a feeling of guilt.

My main problem is getting pressure plates and cameras to work. I could place an entity in my LCB area and target myself, but I would rather just know how to do it without taking damage.

2 hours ago, 8_Hussars said:

Saven's World has some very good electricity videos.

Vedui42 also produces some great electrical based content.

Thank you. I will check the videos out.

Edited by bobrpggamer (see edit history)

20 minutes ago, bobrpggamer said:

When done in an isolated setting, it's no different from looking at videos or reading wikis. I might even argue that figuring it out yourself is better, you can check all the things the video might've missed and generally follow your curiosity.

Just launch a new game on Navezgane for testing, the world is already generated so it loads up fast, no need to even wait.

2 hours ago, bobrpggamer said:

My main problem is getting pressure plates and cameras to work. I could place an entity in my LCB area and target myself, but I would rather just know how to do it without taking damage.

I'm sure you'll get the info in the videos, but for anyone who wants just a quick summary of how to do electrical, here you go:

Connecting 2 items: While holding wire tools, right click on the item power is coming FROM first, then right click on the item power is going TO.  To cancel, left click.

Wiring a single camera to something like a trap or door: connect power to the camera.  Next, connect the camera to the item(s) you want the camera to trigger.  Anything that comes after that camera is triggered by that camera.

*Wiring a single trigger plate or other triggering device works the same as with the camera.

Wiring multiple cameras to a door or other item that you want triggered if ANY of those cameras see something: connect power to camera 1, then connect camera 1 to camera 2 (you CANNOT put anything between those cameras).  Next, connect the last camera to any items you want those cameras to trigger (you CAN put things like relays after the cameras).

*Wiring multiple trigger plates or other triggering devices work the same as with cameras.

*You can use more than 2 triggering devices and mix and match triggering devices, but they must all be connected directly to one another without anything else between them.  Example: you can connect trigger plate 1 to trigger plate 2 to trigger plate 3 and then to dart traps and any of the three trigger plates will set the traps off.

*If you place anything between two triggering devices, such as placing a relay between two cameras, then both cameras have to trigger at the same time (or the second can trigger during the time set to stay active on the first camera) for anything following to activate.

Note that you can only have a single active power source.  This means you cannot connect two generators or solar banks to the same setup.  Also, when using a battery bank combined with a generator or solar bank, only the generator or solar banks will provide power when they are active, and the battery bank only provides power when the solar bank or generator is not active.  You cannot get extra power from the battery bank when the generator or solar bank is active.

You can combine different combinations of trigger setups for more complicated needs as well.  For example, you can have a trap trigger when device A or device B and device C or device D trigger -- (A or B) and (C or D), or in logic: (A || B) && (C || D).  To do so, connect A to B directly, then put something like a relay after B, then connect C and connect D directly to C, and then connect to the trap.  You probably won't need such a complex setup, but it is possible to do.

That should answer most questions regarding wiring.  Hope it helps. 😁

Edited by Riamus (see edit history)

2 hours ago, bobrpggamer said:

1 hour ago, theFlu said:

When done in an isolated setting, it's no different from looking at videos or reading wikis. I might even argue that figuring it out yourself is better, you can check all the things the video might've missed and generally follow your curiosity.

Just launch a new game on Navezgane for testing, the world is already generated so it loads up fast, no need to even wait.

I have to agree with theFlu here.

A stand alone test world is an important tool in the tool box for players to learn, prototype, and test with.  I generally use mine to prototype large builds (normally for stability) which is obviously more efficient using creative mode and dev tools.  Those tricky arrangements that cost resources in game can be easily prototype'd to ensure operation, without the hassle of using the trial and error method in a play through.

Edited by 8_Hussars (see edit history)

3 hours ago, bobrpggamer said:

Haha, I did that last night.  Wasn't sure if the dart trap would shoot though the block I was placing in front of it so I loaded it with one dart and stood underneath it to test it out.  Two bandages later I had my answer  🙂

11 hours ago, bobrpggamer said:

Yeah, I have nothing against it myself but I know if would feel cheesy if it was the world you were going to play a regular game in but just testing stuff out and then deleted the world I think the majority would feel ok with.

11 hours ago, theFlu said:

My thoughts too. It is for science :)  I also think I learn better if I follow the vids and try it myself in a test game than just looking at videos and trying to remember while in my real game...I tend to forget a lot of what I have seen.

15 hours ago, 8_Hussars said:

I have to agree with theFlu here.

A stand alone test world is an important tool in the tool box for players to learn, prototype, and test with.  I generally use mine to prototype large builds (normally for stability) which is obviously more efficient using creative mode and dev tools.  Those tricky arrangements that cost resources in game can be easily prototype'd to ensure operation, without the hassle of using the trial and error method in a play through.

I test my end base with a program like Blender. I add blocks and build block by block till I get it right. When done I count the blocks per row and or height to know where to start building and to find the center and end points to start building. I also have some blocks that are transparent, say around a 9 block entity like the blade trap so I can add them to the program to see if they will fit here or there (that part is hard to explain).

Its a lot easier to put together with cut and paste and a boatload of option to build. the problem this time is I am getting lag in the viewport do to too many polygons (over a million) on screen at once, like 5 FPS, which is a bummer when you are working.

Now you can see how wrapped up in the game I get.

The tunnels are done:

QJ3plEp.jpg

oqUB2XA.jpg

4 hours ago, bobrpggamer said:

I test my end base with a program like Blender. I add blocks and build block by block till I get it right. When done I count the blocks per row and or height to know where to start building and to find the center and end points to start building.

Now you can see how wrapped up in the game I get.

That is quite an ambitious project.  As an additional option consider prototyping in the POI/Level designer.  

17 hours ago, 8_Hussars said:

That is quite an ambitious project.  As an additional option consider prototyping in the POI/Level designer.  

I thought of it, but  would not know what to do with it. My designs change each time I play. Such as now I am thinking of trying a pit thing in A21, I had one on my first real play through In A16 or A17, but without the log spikes I figured it would not be the same.