Reach

What is the distance away that a bear can hit you?

I have been hit by a bear whose head is at least 3 blocks away so that would make those paws about a further 1 block back, so, that equals about 4 blocks. If a block is 1M then those paws can reach at least 4M with their legs about12 to 13 feet away.

And a death that should not have happened.

Me happy?  nope

Edited by Phil (see edit history)

<item name="meleeHandAnimalBear">
    <property name="Extends" value="meleeHandMaster"/>
    <property name="CreativeMode" value="None"/>
    <property name="HoldType" value="46"/>
    <property class="Action0">
        <property name="Delay" value="1.5"/> <!-- obsolete if rounds per minute exists -->
        <property name="Range" value="3.6"/>

I assume that's blocks - from the navigation zero point, which is probably somewhere in the head.

But that sounds damn long when compared to what I usually see in game.

TFP admitted to changing this in a recent interview.  But, i've been calling this phenomena 'Teleport Hands' for a while even before I learned of it.   The reach of many of the mobs in this game was extended based upon the most popular ways to fight most of the enemies.  Most hit and move, often going backwards.

8 hours ago, Ramethzer0 said:

The reach of many of the mobs in this game was extended based upon the most popular ways to fight most of the enemies.  Most hit and move, often going backwards.

That's likely true, I don't exactly like it as a solution, but I can also imagine worse. If it's meant as a counter to backpedaling, it's off, the reach looks silly and comparing anything unarmed to someone with a spear.. but to fix backpedaling in other ways, they'd either have to improve the combat AI to be able to follow the player better, or slow down the player-backwards even more.

And since we already see youtubers-and-such starting to turn-and-sprint, eventually that path would require rate limiting the character's turning - with unlimited turn speed, you're still just as fast in any direction, you'll just have to move your right hand a bit instead of pushing a different key on the left. Bonus points for actually seeing what corner you're running into.

The combat AI improvement route might require some additional combat features, like zombies doing a grab to slow you down if they get a hit in - assuming slow zeds are supposed to be a risk. Might be a route I'd prefer, but I'm not suggesting I have any idea how much work it would take ... :)

I don't really see a problem with the spear and backpedaling tactic.  Just because it works with slower zombies doesn't make it bad and in need of "fixing".  They allow slowing down zombies, so there's no reason to limit tactics that work against slow zombies.  If you use fast zombies, that tactic is of little use already.  There are far more cheesy tactics to avoid fighting than that one of you want to "fix" things, including simply jumping up onto something the zombies can't reach (easy to do with parkour).  At least with backpedaling, you still have the chance of being hit.

If it were real life, I don't many would stand in place again zombies and would instead use anything they can to avoid being hit.  There isn't anything wrong with that.

If the zombies were people and it was competitive play, then you would need to fix things that make it unbalanced for the zombies.  But that isn't the game we have here.

Yeah I'm not a fan of this either.  I think it should be completely allowable to have a melee combat that results in the zombie hitting me 0 times.  I think it's pretty sketchy to allow zombies to have a hitting range that is longer than their physical form even suggests.   There are a few issues with that as well, as this also comes from having zombies slap me through thin blocks and solid doors as well.  It's prolly one of my top 3 beefs.

On 11/30/2022 at 5:50 PM, Riamus said:

I don't really see a problem with the spear and backpedaling tactic.  Just because it works with slower zombies doesn't make it bad and in need of "fixing".  They allow slowing down zombies, so there's no reason to limit tactics that work against slow zombies.  If you use fast zombies, that tactic is of little use already.  There are far more cheesy tactics to avoid fighting than that one of you want to "fix" things, including simply jumping up onto something the zombies can't reach (easy to do with parkour).  At least with backpedaling, you still have the chance of being hit.

If it were real life, I don't many would stand in place again zombies and would instead use anything they can to avoid being hit.  There isn't anything wrong with that.

If the zombies were people and it was competitive play, then you would need to fix things that make it unbalanced for the zombies.  But that isn't the game we have here.

A friend of mine keeps spikes on his hotbar and drops them down to hinder the Zs or bears if it comes to that.

2 hours ago, Darthjake said:

A friend of mine keeps spikes on his hotbar and drops them down to hinder the Zs or bears if it comes to that.

Lol.  See, I think that allowing players freedom in using creative ways to beat the zombies is good.  No need to prevent things that work, even if other players think they are "bad".  After all, other players aren't zombies, so you aren't hurting their gaming experience any.