Easier Rotating of Blocks

geistigsenil

Eyerytime I try to build something more complex I usually have to switch to "advanced Mode" which gives me 24 possible Orientations, wich is great.

But the way it is implemented is very annoying. To achive a specific Orientation you have to tap "R" very often.
This makes it easy to miss the desired orientation.

In order to fix this Issue i propose two seperate keys.

R -> rotate hoizontally

<other key>(maybe T?) -> rotate vertically

With this simple change seperate "easy" and "advanced" modes are  no longer neccesary and rotating Blocks will be much easier since even if you miss, you simply have to press the Button 3 instead of 23 more times to get to the desired orientation.

I don't know if this will provide any relief, but while R runs through the shapes in one order, a mouse button runs through shapes in the opposite order. Using the two, you can go forward and backwards through the available shapes rather than having to go all the way around.

I think its LMB, but I've used it so much I don't think about it. Maybe its RMB.

14 minutes ago, zztong said:

I don't know if this will provide any relief, but while R runs through the shapes in one order, a mouse button runs through shapes in the opposite order. Using the two, you can go forward and backwards through the available shapes rather than having to go all the way around.

I think its LMB, but I've used it so much I don't think about it. Maybe its RMB.

Thank You!

I tried it, its LMB. (Why is it binded to LMB tho, makes no sense imo)

Its a big relief indeed, but i think my two button approach is still more convenient and logical.

5 hours ago, geistigsenil said:

I tried it, its LMB. (Why is it binded to LMB tho, makes no sense imo)

It's consistent. When placing any block (construction block, workstation, storage chests, etc) LMB is used to rotate the item. R will rotate in the opposite direction. Would be weird if construction boxes were treated differently.

Edited by Syphon583 (see edit history)

Just now, Syphon583 said:

It's consistent. When placing any block (construction block, workstation, storage chests, etc) LMB is used to rotate the item. R will rotate in the opposite direction. Would be weird if construction boxes were treated differently.

I thougt R was for "rotate".

Either way, the division of the functionality between keyboard and mouse is weird.

On 9/1/2022 at 8:21 AM, Diragor said:

Mouse came first. LMB for rotation and RMB for placing so building was fully mouse controlled. They added the R button so pepople could go 1 rotation back when missing it :D

Why not use the mousewheel? So you can easily move back when you've missed the correct orientation.

Edited by JamesKirk (see edit history)

I initially thought of the mouse wheel as well, but seeing as that is used to cycle through your tool belt, it obviously creates problems. @JamesKirk as you mention you could have a "build mode" where the mouse wheel is changed to rotation control, but that mode would have to be toggled by the player manually. I'd hate to have my mouse wheel suddenly change on me just because I happened to scroll to a construction block in my tool belt.

On 9/3/2022 at 11:34 PM, JamesKirk said:

Yeah, the game has to switch modes when in placing mode. I use the mousewheel myself for the hotbar.

But just like cycling through block orientation, its easy to overshoot what you want from the toolbelt using the mousewheel too. Been hit upside the head a lot because of that. My keyboard skills ain't what they used to be. And I play relatively relaxed engagement with the zeds. Some POIs I must be on top of what my mouse scrolls to, else it may be bad...but we don't have to jump through hoops to finally choose what weapon we want. Dodge/retreat and it will probably be ok - or not. Block choice/orientation is not usually  an imminent death scenario. I just deal with it.

Edited by Melange (see edit history)

• 1 month later...
On 9/7/2022 at 2:21 AM, Melange said:

But just like cycling through block orientation, its easy to overshoot what you want from the toolbelt using the mousewheel too.

I think it depends on the type of scroll wheel you have. I had a difficult time before with precision scrolling on games with toolbelts because my mouse is smooth scrolling. Then I got one with notched/ratchet scrolling and it was a lot easier. Some fancier mouse can toggle between the two modes.

Edited by NekoPawtato (see edit history)