Motorcycles don't activate pressure plates?

It's been that way since I can remember. Vehicles don't actuate pressure plates. And also, cameras will not detect you when you are in or on a vehicle. So you can not drive up to your door/bridge and have it open automatically.  Don't ask me why, I just know this is how it works each time I have tried to get the sensors to actuate when I am in a truck or on my bike/minibike/motorcycle. 

Since I have to exit the vehicle anyways to get the pressure plate or camera to sense me, I don't bother with all of the wiring and just install a regular door/bridge. 😖

Edited by Melange (see edit history)

26 minutes ago, theFlu said:

Umm, yes they do. Kage848 for an example:

Unfortunate for me, but that video is not accessible from where I am at. I can't view any YT. Care to take a moment and describe how its done? Always willing to learn. And thanks for the feed back.

Edited by Melange (see edit history)

6 minutes ago, Melange said:

Care to take a moment and describe how its done?

There's no real difference to being on foot as far as I can tell. So, Power -> Camera -> Door, or any other normal setup. If the cam sees you on foot, it'll see your vehicle as well. When did you last test it, it may have been different/bugged in the early stages of the new vehicles?

1 minute ago, theFlu said:

There's no real difference to being on foot as far as I can tell. So, Power -> Camera -> Door, or any other normal setup. If the cam sees you on foot, it'll see your vehicle as well. When did you last test it, it may have been different/bugged in the early stages of the new vehicles?

Admittedly it been upwards of three years or more.  Doing the same thing over and over again whilst expecting a different result is a sign of insanity, not so? So I didn't bother to redo the experiment. Thanks. Very much appreciated. 

5 hours ago, Melange said:

Admittedly it been upwards of three years or more.  Doing the same thing over and over again whilst expecting a different result is a sign of insanity, not so? So I didn't bother to redo the experiment. Thanks. Very much appreciated. 

I can confirm as well, since I started playing in A19 at least, motion sensors will open doors for me when in a vehicle. Just had to make sure the sensor is activated on the player and not zombies.

As for the OP's question, I've never tried it myself, but agree it would be nice if that was fixed/changed. I bet that could easily be modded.

In A19, I had a base where I had two garage doors - one side to park my 4x4 and the other side to park my motorcycle.  I had the pressure plates on the inside so I would walk on them to get to the vehicle to open the garage door for me (didn't use the camera inside as my workshop area was in the back of the garage so I didn't want it to trigger while I am crafting things) and the camera on the outside to trigger the door to open when I came back from my trips.  Worked every time.

The not triggered plates by vehicles is a known issue for some time now.  Hopefully they fix it prior to release.  Landmines get triggered by our vehicles so that plates should to.

It is likely on their list of items to fix, but more on the lower end of priority - kind of like the old lumberjack model on the loading screens  😉

15 hours ago, Apocalyptical Survivor said:

I  have a powered garage door with a 1x5 pressure plate on both sides. Works great if I walk on it, but riding a motorcycle over it does NOT activate the pressure plate.

Since it sounds like plates are likely bugged, I can't say this will work either, but, I used to have my garage exit wired to a trip wire right at the door - it did work fine, and setting up one to cover for a 1x5 plate shouldn't be too hard, at most you'll need extra space at the ends.

On 8/2/2022 at 1:42 PM, Apocalyptical Survivor said:

Really?  I  have a powered garage door with a 1x5 pressure plate on both sides. Works great if I walk on it, but riding a motorcycle over it does NOT activate the pressure plate. Is this a known issue, or working as intended?

It actually used to work. I believe it was between Alpha 17.2 and 17.3 that there was a change, where pressure plates no longer triggered on vehicles.

Annoying though, but perhaps there was some reason for the change :)

3 hours ago, Apocalyptical Survivor said:

Ok, thanks for the info guys, it's not just me. And I confirm also that my doors work fine in vehicles if I use a motion detector, but their range makes them turn off an on unpredictably in my base so I prefer the pressure plate approach. Hope they fix this in A21, tho I understand it's probably not high priority.

You know you can aim the cams, as well as set their delays and targeting, right?

Yeah, I know how to use the Camera view to set the visual cone up, thanks for the reminder. Typically, I put it next to a block that will constrain the view to exactly where I want it. Also, I don't have it switched, but that's something I could try. Right now, the only issue I'm having is the inability to activate the pressure plates. Now that I know it doesn't work, I'll probably switch over to motion sensors and try some of your suggestions. Thanks again.