Resize BAR Newish setting in UEFI bios for CPU frame access gave me a huge performance boost in FPS!

warmer

I have a Ryzen 5 6 core, 32GB ram, and an AMD 5700xt

I run at 3880x1440 and would typically get around 45 FPS in cities.
After the setting enabled of Resize BAR I am running 70+ STABLE!!! in CITIES

I saw a video on LinusTechtips related to a memory setting related to GPUs

The setting in Bios is - Resize BAR -

This setting lets the CPU access to the entire frame buffer. I don't know why this isn't on by default because of how much of a difference it made. Once I did that I have been seeing anywhere from 15%-35% increase across all my games. I had to update my motherboards bios to the newest one on Asus support page to get the new setting. If you haven't done this already DO IT!

image.thumb.png.6cdbef4609d338a978be92783442f7a5.pngfor 

Edited by warmer (see edit history)

• warmer changed the title to Resize BAR Newish setting in UEFI bios for CPU frame access gave me a huge performance boost in FPS!

Yeah, very unlikely that was the cause of the performance upgrade. Resizeable bar just lifts the limit on the amount of VRAM that can be accessed per instruction from 256Mb to the entire VRAM if necessary. (Usually it's not). So if you were emptying your pool as an analogy, instead of using a bucket, you just tip the whole pool in one move.

Resizeable bar would make most difference when the bottleneck is the time it takes to transfer textures between the CPU and the GPU. That's generally not the issue in 7d2d, and especially not in 2k. 

It's possible that the BIOS upgrade or any driver upgrades you did boosted your performance, not the resizeable bar.

I find it funny your instinct is to say it's wrong rather than assume the performance increase is real. haha uhhh nope. Trust me, the setting change was a significant improvement. I checked after bios update pre enabling of Resizeable BAR, and after setting switch. If you want to see it for yourself, check out the Linustech tip video. I have seen a significant uptick in FPS. I have see it in every game I have checked. 

If you haven't done the test yourself, I wouldn't discount it, because from your assessment, it sounds like you are guessing and haven't checked it.

256MB of GPU ram is a drop in the bucket compared to the 8GB I have available. TRUST me is makes a difference when you have a lot of textures in a large city.

It´s propably not activated by default because you need Ryzen 3000 or newer and also a newer GPU. Won´t work for any 10 or 20 series from Nvidia. Same for AMD and anything older than the 50 series.

Will keep that in mind once i upgrade my GPU.

3 hours ago, warmer said:

I find it funny your instinct is to say it's wrong rather than assume the performance increase is real. haha uhhh nope. Trust me, the setting change was a significant improvement. I checked after bios update pre enabling of Resizeable BAR, and after setting switch. If you want to see it for yourself, check out the Linustech tip video. I have seen a significant uptick in FPS. I have see it in every game I have checked. 

If you haven't done the test yourself, I wouldn't discount it, because from your assessment, it sounds like you are guessing and haven't checked it.

256MB of GPU ram is a drop in the bucket compared to the 8GB I have available. TRUST me is makes a difference when you have a lot of textures in a large city.

I turned it on when it first became available over a year ago. It's not newish, and it's not magic.

I mean, trusted reviews say it's good for maybe 5-10% depending on the game:

image.png.3af41151fe3da9f99536431c2e005ef3.png

Even on this forum, someone ran benchmarks almost a year ago, and found it's about a 1% improvement:

You're 18 months late thinking this technology is new, you don't seem to know how it works, you're getting results that shouldn't be possible, but yeah, it's me that's the problem...

What more can I say? I'll go hang my head in shame. You win.

5 hours ago, Pernicious said:

image.png.3af41151fe3da9f99536431c2e005ef3.png

What more can I say? I'll go hang my head in shame. You win.

So you are comparing my results to a chart referencing 37% the number of pixels I was rendering...

1920x1080 vs 3880x1440

2,073,600 vs 5,587,200 pixels

That's a lot more potential textures needed to be utilized with a much wider field of view. Kind of a no brainer dude. It's like you are saying the total amount of water that can flow through a garden hose and a fire hydrant are the same, because they are both flowing H2O. One pipe is MUCH BIGGER.

If you think that won't make a difference I am not sure you are qualified to be speaking on the subject at hand. You are comparing to COMPLETELY different data sets. 

Who cares if I am not the first to the party, hence the term "Newish" ie, NOT brand new. Why be salty for the sake of it?

Also, here is an example of a similar setup to mine, in vertical pixels, but at least it's 1440, and it's a 10% gain on average. Assassins Creed Valhalla and Cyberpunk with maxed setting they are getting a stable 8-10% increase. 

I was just going to leave this one alone, since it was clear OP was just getting defensive, and there was nothing more to be gained, but as I see other people are reading the thread, I thought it would be prudent to at least raise the risks of enabling resizable bar, and explain why 7D2D doesn't really benefit from it.

1) To enable Resizable Bar, you need to disable CSM (Compatibility Support Module). If you do this and are using non-UEFI devices - especially a non-UEFI hard drive, you can completely break your computer to the point where it will not boot. This is temporary, and re-enabling CSM will fix it. 

2) 7D2D is CPU bound. Not GPU bound, and definitely not VRAM bandwidth bound. You can check this for yourself by pinning task manager "always on top" with the GPU usage stats visible. You'll probably have 4 cores running at about 80%, and other cores soaking up the other 10-20% (Hyperthreading makes a single physical core look like two cores which then share time.) Meanwhile, most modern GPUs will be sitting around 30-40% utilisation even on quite high resolutions and texture qualities.

3) I used an over simplified analogy above to explain how resizeable bar works, and either misled OP, or gave him some kind of confirmation bias. It's not quite as simple as that. PCIE 4.0 16x - which is what most modern Resizable Bar GPUs would be running on (Some vendors back ported it into PCIE 3.0, but let's ignore that for now) - can move data at 32Gbps. Resizeable bar or not, that's the speed limit. The 7D2D VRAM usage is around 3-4GB, depending on your settings. In other words, in an ideal world, you could load your entire set of textures in a little over 1 second. (Being 8 bits per byte, plus overhead so 32 gigabits per second, is about 3.2 gigabytes per second).

Without resizeable bar, that 3-4GB needs to be broken down into 256MB chunks, and each chunk will be sent separately - But it will still be sent at 32Gbps - there is no change in speed. What there is, is a bit more overhead in the CPU to package that data, and signal to the GPU that it wants to write to the VRAM. By sending 1 x 4Gb, instead of 16 x 256Gb, you can save a bit of overhead.

Whether resizeable bar benefits the game depends on how it was originally loading textures. If it tried to load up all all the textures at once in very large chunks, then you will see improvement. If it tried to load up smaller textures over time as needed, then you won't see much improvement. Indeed, if the loads were under 256Mb in the first place, you might even see degradation, as there's an extra step to actually do the resize.

7D2D textures tend to be reasonably small. I mean, look closely at the ground, do you see nice sharp pebbles and soil? Nope. They're scaled up from lower resolutions. So whether you're running 1080p or 4k, you're not going to see a huge improvement from enabling resizeable bar, which is exactly what Naz found in the post I linked.

By all means, if you know what UEFI and CSM is, enable resizeable bar (But I suspect if you did know what it is, you would have already enabled resizeable bar). It's free performance gain for the majority of modern games. But it's also only about 5-10% with the occasional game that gets more than that, and some games will suffer. However, if you were hoping that enabling resizable bar  would give you an extra 35FPS+ or 55% performance boost, sorry to disappoint you, it's not likely to happen, and in the worst case, you could make your PC non-bootable.