I don't like this game any more and I don't know why

geengaween

On 3/16/2022 at 5:30 AM, geengaween said:

I used to love this game but some time around A18 it lost its magic and I haven't been able to properly play it since. But I don't really know why I don't like it any more, all the ingredients I love are there - proc gen worlds, scavenging, exploring derelict buildings, thirst/hunger, zombies. I've always liked Zomboid and I've played both games for years, I've got like 300 hours clocked in both of them.

But I can't figure out what it is about Zomboid I like, and what it is about 7DTD I don't like. Anyone feel the same way, or have any insights?

I still play only because my wife likes to play together, but I play a LOT less than I used to.  It kind of lost that scary, lonely element when the zombies started looking like cartoons to me and Dukes became easy to get.  That, and since performance has been on a steady decline on multiplayer servers it's hard stay immersed.

42 minutes ago, asmosnuts said:

LBD being dropped was a critical mistake. Going from a natural progression, gaining from the things you did most, to a clumsy points system that still isnt balanced was nonsensical. It had problems yes and things like spam crafting could have been nerfed.

The map gen was almost perfect, huge maps with few mistakes all working properly.

While the graphics are lush now, they werent the draw, it was the gameplay that won out. Loads of zombies, dangerous cities, having to really hunt for stuff you needed.

Now we are led by the hand through most of it and people STILL complain its too hard! its too much effort to look for stuff, give me it all NOW!

Not gonna lie maps are improving, cities look good. Small maps are a hindrance and lack of zombies is criminal.

Still like and play but new features are needed rather than just upgrading graphics ad nauseum.

yes, it used to be a nice dreary atmosphere survival game, had to aimlessly explore, survive and ration your food and ammo. now it's more a hip bright fps game with traders quests, large loot rewards in every house, and lots of ammo. for me.. i think it started getting easy when the trader was introduced.

10 minutes ago, ErrorNull said:

yes, it used to be a nice dreary atmosphere survival game, had to aimlessly explore, survive and ration your food and ammo. now it's more a hip bright fps game with traders quests, large loot rewards in every house, and lots of ammo. for me.. i think it started getting easy when the trader was introduced.

Agreed.  LeEt grAfIX and moaR lOOtz hasn't improved my experience.

And the only confirmed features are graphics and loot related.  The water overhaul is only a maybe.  I ain't in charge but the water overhaul should be the priority over the other two

5 minutes ago, RyanX said:

Edited by RyanX (see edit history)

2 hours ago, RyanX said:

And the only confirmed features are graphics and loot related.  The water overhaul is only a maybe.  I ain't in charge but the water overhaul should be the priority over the other two

This is an interesting perspective on a number of levels...

1) While POI's do have loot they are also for exploration, quests, story elements, and base locations.

2) Everything is always a maybe until it is implemented and working. Water is no less or greater a maybe than it ever was. It is on track for being completed for A21 and faatal even said it is looking very likely. The only reason it isn't on the list is Madmole wants the list to be features implemented rather than features planned this time around.

3) The two features listed were obvious features since they are always creating and adding new POI's and the tweet already went out with the new vehicles. Yes, the vehicles are an art upgrade but what else are the art guys going to do? Everyone has their role on the team. It would be dumb for the guy in charge to assign the art guys to program water physics. Just because the artist who created the new vehicle models finished one of his tasks and decided to share it with us before the programmer who was hired to do the water overhaul has finished his task doesn't mean new trucks are prioritized higher than water physics. A lot of different guys are all working at the same time on a lot of different things and some things will finish sooner than others but nobody was waiting for those vans and trucks to be finished before they could start working on water.

Water and bandits and armor are all on track but they aren't even close to being done yet and that is why they are not yet in the A21 list of confirmed and implemented features.

Edited by Roland (see edit history)

21 hours ago, Roland said:

This is an interesting perspective on a number of levels...

1) While POI's do have loot they are also for exploration, quests, story elements, and base locations.

2) Everything is always a maybe until it is implemented and working. Water is no less or greater a maybe than it ever was. It is on track for being completed for A21 and faatal even said it is looking very likely. The only reason it isn't on the list is Madmole wants the list to be features implemented rather than features planned this time around.

3) The two features listed were obvious features since they are always creating and adding new POI's and the tweet already went out with the new vehicles. Yes, the vehicles are an art upgrade but what else are the art guys going to do? Everyone has their role on the team. It would be dumb for the guy in charge to assign the art guys to program water physics. Just because the artist who created the new vehicle models finished one of his tasks and decided to share it with us before the programmer who was hired to do the water overhaul has finished his task doesn't mean new trucks are prioritized higher than water physics. A lot of different guys are all working at the same time on a lot of different things and some things will finish sooner than others but nobody was waiting for those vans and trucks to be finished before they could start working on water.

Water and bandits and armor are all on track but they aren't even close to being done yet and that is why they are not yet in the A21 list of confirmed and implemented features.

I have no problem with more POI's but I haven't been enamored entirely with the loot dungeon perspective.  Overall neither a pro or con necessarily.  I just see the overall direction and budget towards more art as excessive given the other needs surrounding making it a more immersive experience.  It keeps tending towards a directed RPG compared to the bleak figure-it-out-yourself style of older alphas.  I understand that the game needs to evolve, I just see the direction they've gone as being away from what the game was shaping up to be originally.